• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked I need to know what to do in this situation please

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were talking about Burkhead today and how his dad's friend or something like that was a big NU fan and had talked them up. Absolutely no harm in that. I'm sure saying NEbraska is a great place to live and the fans love NU and talking about what a great school(?) it is is no big deal. I'm sure the NU view is basically that they'd prefer ZERO contact just to weed out the idiots that would cross a REAL line. I really wouldn't get too worked up about getting anyone in trouble as long as you're keeping it conversational with Mom.

Last edited:

They were talking about Burkhead today and how his dad's friend or something like that was a big NU fan and had talked them up. Absolutely no harm in that. I'm sure saying NEbraska is a great place to live and the fans love NU and talking about what a great school(?) it is is no big deal. I'm sure the NU view is basically that they'd prefer ZERO contact just to weed out the idiots that would cross a REAL line. I really wouldn't get too worked up about getting anyone in trouble as long as you're keeping it conversational with Mom.

I have to agree here.

Let's take this situation of an Oklahoma kid wanting to come to Nebraska. Everyone around him are Sooner fans. Would the NCAA find that all the kids in his school trying to talk him out of Nebraska and go to Oklahoma a NCAA violation. Everyone in his home town doing the same thing, would that be a NCAA violation?

I have to agree here.

Let's take this situation of an Oklahoma kid wanting to come to Nebraska. Everyone around him are Sooner fans. Would the NCAA find that all the kids in his school trying to talk him out of Nebraska and go to Oklahoma a NCAA violation. Everyone in his home town doing the same thing, would that be a NCAA violation?

Exactly

Well, here is the answer to my email and the question I posted here. Thought you might like to know the out come. Oh well I guess it will be drinks and a lot of girl talk instead.

"Hi Jackie,

Thanks for your support of our football program. NCAA rules prohibit fans from recruiting on behalf of an institution. Thus, it is not permissible for you to talk to her about Nebraska. If she has specific questions she may contact the football staff. Thank you for checking with us to prevent a potential violation of NCAA rules.

Go Big Red!"

Patty Ferree, J.D.
Assistant Director of Compliance
Legislation & Recruiting
University of Nebraska
One Memorial Stadium
Lincoln, NE 68588-0219
Phone: (402) 472-4617
Fax: (402) 472-6961
[email protected]
www.huskers.com

Interesting stuff...

Sounds like the solution is to tell her how big a mistake it would be to let her son go to 119 other teams. Let her figure it out from there. :Biggrin:

This just in...Nebraska busted for DOZENS of recruiting violations!

Had this thought today while listening to 1620 when they were talking to the new recruit. They asked if he was going to talk to any teammates or friends about possibly coming to NU...other players. Like Gabbert and so many others have over the years. I didn't pay attention long enough to hear his answer but if the original poster talking to this mother and giving her opinions of NU/NE is a "violation" then NU would REALLY be screwed by what these other players have done over the years. It's not like they are ON the team at this time....really they are no different than the original poster. Just a "fan" with no official tie to the university.

Obviously I am saying this tongue in cheek. I am fairly confident the OP got the response they did from the UNL staff was that the staff would just as soon not even "go there". But there's now way that having that innocent conversation with the mother of a POTENTIAL recruit could be any more of a violation then Gabbert working on getting Compton to sign with NU...or any of the 100's of other contacts by commits to other potential recruits. UNL is just playing it safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back