• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked I need to know what to do in this situation please

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigredaggiesmom

Recruit
10 Year Member
I have been friends with this persons mom for about 19 years and her middle son and my oldest have been friends since they were in preschool. they are now 23. Her youngest son is a junior in high school and is being recruited by Texas, A&M, Tech, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas and several other schools. She came by tonight and wants to go out for drinks on Wednesday to talk about the interest that the schools have in him then she mentioned that he is receiving a lot of interest from Nebraska. As a fan, she has known all these years I am a huge Cornhusker, what am I allowed to say? I thought I could go into this with an open mind until she added Nebraska to the list.
I am not even sure if there are rules I have to follow since we have been friends since before he was even born, but figured I better ask. Thanks

I do not know but I imagine as long as you talk about the process, mail,calls emails text etc etc. Remind her that will be going on for the next 15 months. I do not know how much you know about each programs, so just get her focused on getting their proirities lined up degree program, distance, support, religous support, who gives them the best shot at getting to the next level. Once they have their priorites figured out reseach all the schools he might be interested in, and eventually take his 5 visits to. As long as you do not ONLY talk NU ypu should be OK.

I think NU has a email address where you could ask them a question about what you can or can not do i will see if I can find it.

What position does he play?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DM: Let’s just do one hypothetical. Let’s say that you lived in Kansas City, Missouri, and you have a next door neighbor that’s a good friend of yours that you’ve known for 20 years, and their son or daughter just happens to be a good athlete that could potentially be recruited at Nebraska and you’ve been friends with that family for that whole length of time, are you prohibited from inviting them over and showing them all your Nebraska memorabilia?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GB: Let’s say you live next door and that young man or young lady has been in your house many times over the first 14 years of their life. You have developed a pre-existing relationship with that young person and their family because you are their next door neighbors. You have developed that relationship with the prospect before they became a prospect as a freshman in high school. You would be considered a representative of an institution’s athletics interest because of the fact that you promote Nebraska athletics in some way. You don not have to sever that relationship when that person becomes a prospect since you have known them before the prospect became a ninth grader. It’s just that you are not permitted to try to recruit that individual to the University of Nebraska or encourage them to be a prospective student athlete for Nebraska. It is not a problem for you to contact Nebraska and tell them about the prospect, but to try to convince the prospect to go to Nebraska, to get them to be interested in Nebraska, and promote Nebraska to them, that would be a violation in itself.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anyone that is a representative of an institution’s athletics interest, once that individual or that independent agency or corporate entity or organization is identified as being a representative of an institution’s athletics interest, that individual or organization retains that identity indefinitely. There’s basically only two ways that you are no longer considered to be a representative of that institution’s athletics interest, when you die, and if that individual is involved in some issue to the point where either the institution or the NCAA has to tell that individual that they no longer can be identified with the institution’s athletic program. Other than that, they will to continue to be a representative of the institution’s athletics interest indefinitely. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The representative of an institution’s athletics interest is an individual, independent agency, corporate entity, such as apparel or equipment manufacturer or other organization who is known or should have been known by a member of the institution’s executive or athletic administration to:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. have participated in or be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. be assisting or to have been requested by the athletics department staff to assist in the recruitment of prospects,[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enroll student athletes or their family, or[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So a person that has a website, who predominantly promotes one certain institution’s athletic program could be considered a representative of an institution’s athletics interest. Even though they have never been a season ticket holder, they did not graduate from the University of Nebraska, they do not belong to the alumni association, and they have never belonged to any booster club, they could still be considered a representative of an institution’s athletics interest.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Let me give you one example of individuals who got to be a representative of an institution’s athletics interest by just providing a job for a student athlete, even though that individual, couple, or family never had tickets to a football game, basketball game, has never been a booster club member, is not an alumni association member, but through an affiliation with another person met a student-athlete, and provided them a summer job. By providing a student-athlete a summer job, even if it is a very minimal summer job, that person becomes a representative of an institution’s athletics interest. If later on, this person then because of the friendship established with that student athlete, provides the student-athlete any kind of extra benefit, he would be committing a violation of NCAA rules. [/FONT]

http://www.huskermax.com/interviews/Gary_Bargen.html
[/FONT]

I found this from a Virginia Tech site, but I think it is appropriate for your situation. Basically, I believe you would qualify as a NU booster, so you can't say or do much.

The Role of Boosters in the Recruiting of Student-Athletes
Back to the Top

Per NCAA regulations, only coaches and athletics department staff members are permitted to be directly involved in the recruiting process. Boosters are not permitted to contact a prospect or his/her family by telephone, letter or in person (on- or off-campus) for the purpose of encouraging participation in the Tech athletics program. These regulations apply to Hokie Club members, alumni, season-ticket holders (past or current) and anyone who has ever donated money to the Tech athletics program.

If you find yourself in a conversation with a prospect or his/her relative(s) and the topic turns to the Tech athletics program, politely explain that NCAA regulations don't permit you to discuss this with them, and direct their questions to the Tech coach in that sport or another staff member.

http://www.hokiesports.com/boosters/guidelines.html

Thanks for all your help. I will email him. I guess I am a little confused since we have been good friends for along time and I am looking at this as just two friends discussing a college choice for our sons, since that is what we did with the other two, but athletics was not involved then.
He is a dual threat QB and pretty darn good. Good speed and good arm. He is not afraid of taking a hit or blocking for his runner. I wold love to see him play for Nebraska and that is why I want to be careful.

Man...as I was reading through the posts I was thinking "it shouldn't hurt to give your thoughts and advice" but then reading the official compliance stuff seems to make it very clear that you really can't say a word to a potential recruit. I guess in some ways it is best to draw a strict line rather than a line that Saban or such can wiggle around.

Man...as I was reading through the posts I was thinking "it shouldn't hurt to give your thoughts and advice" but then reading the official compliance stuff seems to make it very clear that you really can't say a word to a potential recruit. I guess in some ways it is best to draw a strict line rather than a line that Saban or such can wiggle around.

Agreed. Legally, you can't say much. Several years ago I passed along a potential recruit's name. At that point I was basically told to not do or say anything to the recruit, and that the football staff would take it from there.

I'm really glad I asked this question. You guys are right I might just have to tell sorry but I can't talk about Nebraska. To me it's really interesting that even though we have been friends for so long and have shared many many things that this is off limits. I will email Jeff and see what he has to say, but I am sure it will be to say nothing. Thanks again.

Carrolltonsker - were you friends with the potential recruit?

I'm really glad I asked this question. You guys are right I might just have to tell sorry but I can't talk about Nebraska. To me it's really interesting that even though we have been friends for so long and have shared many many things that this is off limits. I will email Jeff and see what he has to say, but I am sure it will be to say nothing. Thanks again.

Let us know what he says when Jedd replies.

I have been friends with this persons mom for about 19 years and her middle son and my oldest have been friends since they were in preschool. they are now 23. Her youngest son is a junior in high school and is being recruited by Texas, A&M, Tech, LSU, Alabama, Arkansas and several other schools. She came by tonight and wants to go out for drinks on Wednesday to talk about the interest that the schools have in him then she mentioned that he is receiving a lot of interest from Nebraska. As a fan, she has known all these years I am a huge Cornhusker, what am I allowed to say? I thought I could go into this with an open mind until she added Nebraska to the list.
I am not even sure if there are rules I have to follow since we have been friends since before he was even born, but figured I better ask. Thanks

Find out what her son wants to major in. Then you have to decide if your loyalties lie with the Big Red, or her son. If you luck out and he is interested in something that coincides with a Nebraska program he can take advantage of, then you are in luck and your conscience is clear. ;)

In all seriousness, IMHO, you should have the kids best interst first. Nebraska will be okay regardless.

Find out what her son wants to major in. Then you have to decide if your loyalties lie with the Big Red, or her son. If you luck out and he is interested in something that coincides with a Nebraska program he can take advantage of, then you are in luck and your conscience is clear. ;)

In all seriousness, IMHO, you should have the kids best interst first. Nebraska will be okay regardless.

That goes with out saying that I want what is best for this kid. He needs to get a great education because chances of going to the NFL for most of them are slim.

No, it was a player from one of our rival schools back during my coaching days. He ended up going to UTEP and he ended up having a very undistinguished college career.

You can say anything you want as long as you're not making any offers or trying to speak on NU's behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back