• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I need the expert opinions of Cafe members

Agreeing with RP, a GOOD themometer is REQUIRED!! Don't skimp on something like this:

1003079_5990N_A_400.jpg

Spend the extra dollar and get a digital:

6WR-6438-lg.jpg

Yeah, I smoked some ribs and had that problem with the hickory - I was going to use less this time. My brother has some pecan, so maybe I'll stop by his place and steal a little bit.

mmmm Pecan is good. One of my favorite is the Ozark Sugar Maple.

Pops is right about apple for poultry and cherry for fish, although cherry for a couple of the pork recipes I have is also pretty good.

I'm going to move this to the kitchen with a redirect. Lots of good advice.

Sounds good... thanks for letting it hand out in the Cafe for a little while. Hopefully it will steer some more traffic to the new forum.

I can't wait for all the good stuff that will come out of the kitchen during football season!

Sounds good... thanks for letting it hand out in the Cafe for a little while. Hopefully it will steer some more traffic to the new forum.

I can't wait for all the good stuff that will come out of the kitchen during football season!

That is a awesome smoker that CornGrits builds and Buffsurveyor asked about.

Very nice of CornGrits to build you one. When will it be done.

CornGrits description got my mouth watering. How heavy is your brisquit? I intend to smoke this weekend as well.

It has the fat, I will have that side up, and I read that I shouldn't let it sit at room temp for more than an hour.

if you want crappy meat yeah put it in there cold....

I told ya back a page ago the folk in KC know knowing of smoking...now you have proof

Last edited:
No way. If you want more smoke flavor you need to keep it refridgerated up until adding to the smoker. That way your smoke temp is 40-140 instead of only 70-140 or whatever room temp is.

Now, after you pull it OUT of the smoker you want it to sit for 20 min or so to allow all the juices to flow out through the meat again. THis is also pretty key.

just kidding...a cold smoke is groovy, I like it better with thinner cut meats....Ribs etc...gives more time for the flavor to cook in

That is a awesome smoker that CornGrits builds and Buffsurveyor asked about.

Very nice of CornGrits to build you one. When will it be done.

CornGrits description got my mouth watering. How heavy is your brisquit? I intend to smoke this weekend as well.

I think you might have misunderstood... he's not building me one (that I'm aware of).

The brisket I'm doing tomorrow is 9 pounds. I plan on eating all of it.

just kidding...a cold smoke is groovy, I like it better with thinner cut meats....Ribs etc...gives more time for the flavor to cook in

6 one way half a dozen the other. :Biggrin:

Ok guys, the brisket was a tremendous success. After careful consideration, I decided to share some of it... everyone agreed that it was incredible. We are having a birthday party for my daughter on Saturday, and I've been encouraged to make another one.

Pics:
Got the rub on there:
100_3038.jpg

100_3039.jpg

Let it sit for nearly an hour before opening it up to see the finished project:
100_3040.jpg

100_3041.jpg

Finally, the time has come to eat:
100_3043.jpg

100_3042.jpg

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks