• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I need the expert opinions of Cafe members

huskrthill

Leading horses to water since 2009
10 Year Member
I'm smoking my first brisket this weekend, and I want your opinion. I found this recipe from the Food Network that claims it is the Oklahoma Joe's recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ma-joes-smoked-brisket-flat-recipe/index.html

Does this look like a decent rub to those of you that are more experienced meat smokers? (can I say "meat smokers?" :Biggrin:) I ate at Oklahoma Joe's a few months ago, and it was delicious. If my brisket turns out being close to as good, I'll be happy.

Any other tips/tricks? I'll be using this Brinkmann charcoal smoker:
FyqCpFYQv-ox0jFef-YjMGqyeVP8eR-baFHQeTQ1MzTOO0_Hsb9_UCY9Q0xvrGv4yKvdsebWd1FnQKrMQmXSWSRtUmo9zMlNWrOuL7enyIshSHm4rAJ-AYOWg_LzY5iQsiTRQemdETeobHOMdXqopNyg4JW55iNoUKN0fsUfUv3i5XD9hYyk_snt7szmCwW3IEFRkJuQhObPvSOYPzwhxCDEniGZtbrQkglTdwsAHQ9pblJOSXJL3aSdb8ypTqcpcgeyy4Rm_DF-Xx9tyvvMfIVfDVMyWgrH9a56ZQ

This thread can be moved to the kitchen after a little bit, but I'd like it to stay here in the Cafe for a while if you all don't mind...

Doesn't this belong in the Max's Kitchen area? The Cafe guys can't cook!

Last edited:

Smoking is really not that difficult. I think the recipe you linked there should be awesome.

I think the hardest part about smoking (meat) is going to be not smoking (cigarettes) while I'm smoking (meat). This will be a true test.

I think the hardest part about smoking (meat) is going to be not smoking (cigarettes) while I'm smoking (meat). This will be a true test.

Have you quit? If so, keep it up. I hit four years in November. I'd even go so far as to say the cravings are now officially gone.

Except after really good meals, on the golf course, and during long commutes with nothing else to do. Other than that, completely gone.

Have you quit? If so, keep it up. I hit four years in November. I'd even go so far as to say the cravings are now officially gone.

Yes, my last cig was Feb. 1. Haven't had a puff since. I got a punching bag this past weekend.

Except after really good meals, on the golf course, and during long commutes with nothing else to do. Other than that, completely gone.

Commutes are the worst for me. I actually enjoyed my drive from Virginia to Nebraska because I was in the car by myself and could listen to whatever music I wanted and smoke as much as I wanted.

hell yeah! dude, awesome job quitting the smokes.:thumbsup: but...

honestly, i've been doing pretty good at limiting the cigarettes, but i don't think i could smoke a brisket and not have at least 3. prepare to eat a couple bags of doritos or blow thru 4 packs of bubble gum while the meat is smoking. however, you're almost 45 days smoke-free, i think you're up to it.

whatever rookie...KC knows nothing of smoking....sweet sweet rubs are for the girls that live in your area

Sweeten it up and cook it, Cindy

I agree. Sweet rubs are for girls. Salty and spicy is the way to go.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back