• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I love Mickey Joseph

By his demeanor at today's presser, I thought he knew he didn't get the job...but what do I know...
I've gotten that vibe for the last week or so. It seemed like he was starting to be more open about wanting the job and then recently his demeanor makes it seem like he has been told someone else has it.

I won’t be one to let you have it. There has been a lot of koolaid poured over MJ this year. Every other candidate gets his resume torn open by posters and if we want to frankly evaluate each candidate then MJ should be no different. Unfortunately the MJ love will alter a proper evaluation of him just as it did SF. The only difference is SF at least had the resume.
I suspect in about 5 years we would be sitting around .550 and the AD having a hard time justify firing him because he loves the program more than anyone else and the players really care for him.
4370e4fa-00ad-41f1-96da-25a147841323_text.gif

Regardless of what happens with Mickey, my gut is that we will end up making the wrong call on him. If we make him head coach, we'll continue to sputter and we'll slam our heads against the wall asking why we talked ourselves into him. If we don't hire him, he'll go somewhere else and be a stud and be the hot name in coaching and we'll slam our heads against the wall asking why we let him go.

The problem for me with Mickey is that while I see some qualities that could translate to being a really good head coach, there are too many unanswered questions to make me feel confident he'd succeed.

I'll say this: Regardless of who we hire as head coach, I think who we hire as assistants is going to be likely more critical. We've had too many personnel groups be flat out terrible over the last few years. We need a strong core of coaches to try and eliminate having weak links.

4370e4fa-00ad-41f1-96da-25a147841323_text.gif

Regardless of what happens with Mickey, my gut is that we will end up making the wrong call on him. If we make him head coach, we'll continue to sputter and we'll slam our heads against the wall asking why we talked ourselves into him. If we don't hire him, he'll go somewhere else and be a stud and be the hot name in coaching and we'll slam our heads against the wall asking why we let him go.

The problem for me with Mickey is that while I see some qualities that could translate to being a really good head coach, there are too many unanswered questions to make me feel confident he'd succeed.

I'll say this: Regardless of who we hire as head coach, I think who we hire as assistants is going to be likely more critical. We've had too many personnel groups be flat out terrible over the last few years. We need a strong core of coaches to try and eliminate having weak links.
Good summary. I’ll add to thoughts on the assistants. I think there is a narrative that any and every school/coach would love to have Mickey on their staff. I think that is a little bit of homernism in Nebraska fans. Prior to taking over here he was far from being nationally recognized. Being 2-6 isn’t helping. I’m not sure a lot of top assistants are going to be beating on the door to work for a wide receivers coach at a broken program.

However a well established HQ has more to offer.

I love Mickey too. He’s a great guy with an infectious personality and he’s great at being blunt w/o being toxic. However I think he would be in over his head barring he’d have a former head coach like Patterson as defensive coordinator to help him grow into the position. I’m not bagging on him, love the guy, but his first power 5 job was LSU. I think it needs to be taking into account that Ja’Maar Chase, Justin Jefferson, and Trey Palmer were all local recruits. IMO Jefferson is the best of the three and he was a 2 star. His highest rated recruit was 5 star Terrace Marshall whom was also a local recruit. Good job for keeping the local talent instate as we’ve struggled to do so, but LSU is to Louisianans as the Huskers are to Nebraskans w/o the the program falling off a cliff for extended period of time reducing the passion of younger generations. We got who we wanted in-state pretty easily 10 years ago, however we did crap the bed by not offering lots of instate talent that went on to be successful in other programs and NFL. Another thing to note is that Steve Ensminger was the offensive coordinator and Joe Brady was the passing game coordinator, so basically they had two wide receiver coaches with Brady atop the totem pole. Emotional connections can blind us a little. Let me have it.
Persuasive post. Am I the only one who finds myself agreeing with whomever’s had the last word on Mickey? I seem to be :)very conflicted.

Good summary. I’ll add to thoughts on the assistants. I think there is a narrative that any and every school/coach would love to have Mickey on their staff. I think that is a little bit of homernism in Nebraska fans. Prior to taking over here he was far from being nationally recognized. Being 2-6 isn’t helping. I’m not sure a lot of top assistants are going to be beating on the door to work for a wide receivers coach at a broken program.

However a well established HQ has more to offer.
Agreed. I think people assume with a lot of money thrown out we can get whoever we want as head coach or assistant, and I don't think that is necessarily true. I think anyone who would jump on board that would be a "home run" hire as an assistant/coordinator would do so because they've worked with Mickey in the past and want to work with him. I don't think we are going to snag someone just because we throw a ton of money at them.

I love Mickey too. He’s a great guy with an infectious personality and he’s great at being blunt w/o being toxic. However I think he would be in over his head barring he’d have a former head coach like Patterson as defensive coordinator to help him grow into the position. I’m not bagging on him, love the guy, but his first power 5 job was LSU. I think it needs to be taking into account that Ja’Maar Chase, Justin Jefferson, and Trey Palmer were all local recruits. IMO Jefferson is the best of the three and he was a 2 star. His highest rated recruit was 5 star Terrace Marshall whom was also a local recruit. Good job for keeping the local talent instate as we’ve struggled to do so, but LSU is to Louisianans as the Huskers are to Nebraskans w/o the the program falling off a cliff for extended period of time reducing the passion of younger generations. We got who we wanted in-state pretty easily 10 years ago, however we did crap the bed by not offering lots of instate talent that went on to be successful in other programs and NFL. Another thing to note is that Steve Ensminger was the offensive coordinator and Joe Brady was the passing game coordinator, so basically they had two wide receiver coaches with Brady atop the totem pole. Emotional connections can blind us a little. Let me have it.
don't really care. That will sort out. All's I know is that I have a ton of respect for him and wish him well.

I won’t be one to let you have it. There has been a lot of koolaid poured over MJ this year. Every other candidate gets his resume torn open by posters and if we want to frankly evaluate each candidate then MJ should be no different. Unfortunately the MJ love will alter a proper evaluation of him just as it did SF. The only difference is SF at least had the resume.
I suspect in about 5 years we would be sitting around .550 and the AD having a hard time justify firing him because he loves the program more than anyone else and the players really care for him.
my post wasnt about him being the new head coach. it was about my respect for MJ.

I like MJ a lot and hope he stays here as a positional coach/AHC.

But there are lot of good speakers who are stand up guys who can't run a football team. This is no time for on-the-job training. This team has plummeted to the depths of historically bad football. Let's get some experience in here please and allow MJ to learn under a proven leader.

I guess it’s easy to get tunnel vision at the end of a 10 week search and 90% of the posts are discussing him and the other candidates as coaches.
It's not tunnel vision to respect the way he's handled the job. it's tunnel vision to always move to whether he should be coach or not regardless of situation.

I like MJ a lot and hope he stays here as a positional coach/AHC.

But there are lot of good speakers who are stand up guys who can't run a football team. This is no time for on-the-job training. This team has plummeted to the depths of historically bad football. Let's get some experience in here please and allow MJ to learn under a proven leader.
and no one said there was. ffs, read the op. It's about loving the way MJ handled this year, not whether he should be coach.

Last edited:

and no one said there was. ffs, read the op. It's about loving the way MJ handled this year, not whether he should be coach.
Maybe you should realize that almost every response to your thread is In regards to coaching. Singling out a couple of posters because it didn’t fit your narrative while the rest of the posters also discussed his coaching……well so be it I guess.

But I guess if you are wanting us to respond to the OP and the thread title OK. Reads as if you have a bromance going on so TMI.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back