• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I find myself eager for the first game to begin

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
even though
- I think we are in transition to a professional minor league unrelated to how I think of college football
- we have the same head coach who probably is too far along to be any different from the last number of years
- I have no real idea how good the new offensive coaches are
- past performance in Husker football should mute any over the top enthusiasm for the portal newbies
- most every other team has also strengthened their team with new people
- we don't appear to have anyone as impressive as Micah Parsons was at one of our Friday Night deals
and
- our hopes for improved ST are lodged in players that have not kicked a ball in any game for us yet.

Whatever, I find myself eager for the first game to get started.

Wierd.

even though
- I think we are in transition to a professional minor league unrelated to how I think of college football
- we have the same head coach who probably is too far along to be any different from the last number of years
- past performance in Husker football should mute any over the top enthusiasm for the portal newbies
- we don't appear to have anyone as impressive as Micah Parsons was at one of our Friday Night deals
and
- our hopes for improved ST are lodged in players that have not kicked a ball in any game for us yet.

Wierd.
As much as I was an Adrian Martinez fan it was best for both parties that he moved on. With all the changes in coaches, new faces on both sides of the ball, and a new quarterback I can’t help but be intrigued. Every season will bring new excitement for me whether I’m on board with the direction or not, it doesn’t dampen the anticipation.

even though
and

Wierd.
All these can be seen as detriment, but at the same time, as positive. No, these kickers haven't kick here yet, but, we had one that had done just that very successfully, and then faltered.
Past performance has been dismal, but then, this wasn't the cast in that play.
As much change as presents itself, trying to assign elements as predictors isn't much of a help.
Don't know if we'll be good, but tremendous belief that even if bad, it will be a different bad.

As much as I was an Adrian Martinez fan it was best for both parties that he moved on. With all the changes in coaches, new faces on both sides of the ball, and a new quarterback I can’t help but be intrigued. Every season will bring new excitement for me whether I’m on board with the direction or not, it doesn’t dampen the anticipation.
Now lose that first game……

Now lose that first game……

cookies-inside-out.gif

Or

76018112.jpg

Last edited:
even though
and

Wierd.
1. College football has changed. Yes it’s weird.
2. Same head coach. Not calling plays any more.
3. Whipple and Joseph are well respected in the coaching community. Applewhite is under-rated (in my opinion). All are upgrades from their immediate predecessors (again, my opinion).
4. The last 5 years have sucked.
5. Other teams have added players through the transfer portal. Some have made changes in their coaching staffs. All of the coaching hires made sense to me except for hiring Raiola as OL coach, since he is very inexperienced. Players were brought in to shore up areas where we underperformed.
6. Micah Parsons isn’t coming.
7. We finally have an assistant coach with full responsibility for special teams (Busch) who also happens to be an energetic recruiter. We’ll have new punters and kickers who have performed well at lower levels of play (Bleekrode and Buschini) The field is not different at lower levels and the goalposts are not wider. They should be able to perform equally well at the P5 level.

And finally. The off-season always sucks. It’s so long. I’m always anticipating the next game. The offseason results in 8 months of anticipation which grows to 9 months if you don’t make a bowl. It sucks.

Michigan State under their new head coach … Mel Tucker turned over their roster last year. With very positive results. Now Tucker is a heckuva coach … out worked SF during their CU games and last season as well.

But roster turnover and immediate success is becoming a norm nowadays.

I’m really looking forward to summer.

But,

1. Humidity sucks
2. Bugs are a problem.
3. Too many idiots where I would like to go.
4. Gas prices are high.
5. it was hot last summer, it will probably be hot again.
6. if I mow the lawn, its going to grow back.
1. Air conditioning.
2. Bug spray.
3. Go fishing early in the AM, back to the AC by 11:00.
4. Fish locally.
5. It will be hot.
6. Natural prairie gardens make fine lawns.

This thread really hits the mark with me. I feel much the same.
My lifelong optimism about Husker football has been beat down pretty hard.
For the first time in my life I'm being more pessimistic and I am waiting for them to prove it first.

However, with so much change this off season, I can't help but feel that things will be different.
Hopefully that different is in the positive direction, but I have concerns that it won't happen immediately.
Wholesale system changes change usually take a while to work out the bugs and get it running smoothly, especially on offense. Like usually a year or two. Unfortunately SF doesn't have that much time. It either has to work fairly well right out of the gate, or we are in trouble.

Despite all of that, I find myself starting to hope again that maybe the different this time will be on the positive side...
:Huskerflag:

Eager for the first game too. The portal has changed the team. I want to see how Cook uses the new middle this year, and what Hames’ role will be. Hope we have a quick start.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back