• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I am serious: Fire Chin now!

We need to start to run power football single back sets are not forgiving enough. I think HCSF needs to protect QB and not put QB running as the primary weapon. The offense looks anemic and I have not been impressed with the Qb coach at all because I am not seeing the QB become better game managers or better even skill sets. We could use a special team coach and get rid of the QB coach. I think to get Mills healthy run an H-back or FB in front of Mills double team with offensive linemen at the point of attack and get rid of the stretch play.
I think that Mills would be the perfect fullback / Hback as that's what he played at G-Tech with Marvin Scott in the I

We're not going to completely shift offensive philosophy during the middle of the season. That would basically guarantee us losing out.

We're not going to completely shift offensive philosophy during the middle of the season. That would basically guarantee us losing out.
I agree but Unfortunately we will stick to the same old thing and still lose out :mad:

They are still too young, save Jaimes.
You have got 18-20 year old bodies trying to block 20-22 year old bodies.
That's the reverse of what we had with the Pipeline when we had the physically mature O-lineman.

It will be 2022 until we have the talent and maturity in the o-line to compete i the BIG, and I like our talent in the o-line right now very much but they are just kids playing adults :(
You need to take a look at northwesterns oline that’s starting. They make your argument look not so good. You also need to look at wisky last year and their oline starters. Youth isn’t what makes the oline grate or bad. The coaches aren’t developing the talent full stop. It sucks and I wish it wasn’t true but teams do it with young talent all the time. Maybe not win championships but they can at least beat one win teams at home.

Offense is worse than the defense. It not only doesn't score . . . it keeps turning the ball over (often on short fields) to put pressure on the defense that isn't supposed to need to constantly bail out the (cough) high-powered offense.

If you want to fire someone, start with the offense.
Yep!

I am not sure we can really evaluate a defense that faces 5 turnovers. The ball was on the ground a few times for them to scoop up, too. But I can't help but wonder with out these turnovers and some better offense if they play better.

If Frost doesn't produce a winning product next season, he'll be gone.
What is going to change next year that will turn this around? We have more talent compared to the teams that beat us. Something stinks in Lincoln that we cannot produce a winning team! The only thing that HCSF can do is to start making coaching changes. Who he has now have shown they are not good at developing and coaching this team to victory. Otherwise, I agree, he will go down with the ship he created, sadly!:Sign2cents:

The defense was a sieve from the word go. They haven't been able to get off the field on 3rd down. Yep, the offense put them in a hole, but letting them waltz in for that 1st score and 2nd scores? It isn't like the defense EVER stood up in this game. This is the chicken and egg debate.
Neither side sets up the other for any success.

I'll repeat what I wrote on another thread. I'm no football expert but I think I'm logical.

The scheme or how he runs it won't work here. This stinking 3-4 folds like a lawn chair vs power running.3-4 3 down line man 4 backer's.

Why not go to a 4-4 or ,even a 5 - 2?

Bottom line we need more beef up front. The line backers aren't getting it done. Put an extra lineman or 2 in there or something.
Not sure I would consider Illinois a power run team, but even if they are, Wisconsin beat the brakes off Illinois running a 3-4 and Purdue year 1 in the Diaco 3-4 beat Illinois.

It ain’t the scheme. If you want to say it’s how they coach it maybe. But it’s not a 3-4 or 4-3 issue when the best team in our division runs a 3-4.

Last edited:
Chinander is the only reason why we have one win. The offense has been consistently bad in every game.

one game does not change the rest. Defense has been horrible! PSU is now 0-5, first in their history!

Let me add, I do understand that because of the offense being so poor that has put undo strain on the defense, but the defense has been bad for a while.

Last edited:

Offense is worse than the defense. It not only doesn't score . . . it keeps turning the ball over (often on short fields) to put pressure on the defense that isn't supposed to need to constantly bail out the (cough) high-powered offense.

If you want to fire someone, start with the offense.

But, if you want to change the offense, that means changing Frost for the most part, and I don't think we are there yet.

For me, Chin's been a problem for a long time. Given the talent we have on ever level of the D, there's no excuse for the ineptitude we're seeing and have seen since day 1

On offense you probably have some excuse given the lack of a full spring, and lack of a real fall camp in combination with a new OC, but I'd start to consider finding a different OL coach. I've been a supporter of Austin's, but we had a good OL by the end of the first year, then rebuilt the next year, and finally got a decent OL by end of year. So this year we tinker again and once again have relatively poor OL play to start the year. We need someone who can get a good OL into place to start the year. Again, excuses abound with lack of a camp, but it's a problem for a team like ours if we can't get an OL to do what we need to do at a minimum level.

Not sure I would consider Illinois a power run team, but even if they are, Wisconsin beat the brakes off Illinois running a 3-4 and Purdue year 1 in the Diaco 3-4 beat Illinois.

It ain’t the scheme. If you want to say it’s how they coach it maybe. But it’s not a 3-4 or 4-3 issue when the best team in our division runs a 3-4.

In the game chat, I said we should go hire any random coach from the Wiscy defensive coaching tree and let them set up a 3-4 that works in the B10. As you note, Wiscy runs a 3-4 and has done so for years successfully. It isn't the scheme.. and I don't think it's the talent either right now.

I’d be all in favor of firing Chin if defense were THE problem. But we’re horrible in all aspects of the game and getting worse. I can’t point to a single thing that we’re good at.

This coaching staff is done, as it should be. The mere fact that we can’t afford to fire them today doesn’t change the inevitable; it only delays the timing of the inevitable.

In the meantime let’s at least agree that HCFS gets NO MORE CONTRACT EXTENSIONS.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back