• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I am serious: Fire Chin now!

The Defense was really bad yesterday. An offense that was averaging less than 20 points per game scored 41. I think their top passing output in a game before yesterday was something like 110 yards. We had no answer for their good-but-not-great running backs. The pass rush was abysmal. No turnovers forced... we couldn't even recover any of their 4 or 5 fumbles.

This was really disappointing because the Defense had looked better the first three weeks of the season. They were serviceable in the first game against tOSU and played well enough for us to win the next two games. Even if the Offense had gotten out of their own way yesterday, I'm not sure we could have beaten Illinois with the Defense giving up so many point and long drives. A three-and-out every once in awhile would sure be nice.

But they haven't been. Quite truthfully I don't know many defenses that wouldn't give up 40+ points when the offense provides the other team 5 turnovers and the special teams and refs provided them a half dozen more opportunities.
I'm not saying chin is good but we need to prioritize our fixes.
The Blackshirts are swiss cheese man. They played one good half vs. winless Penn St, the rest has been absolutely embarrassing. The turnovers aren't the reason they have struggled

The Defense was really bad yesterday. An offense that was averaging less than 20 points per game scored 41. I think their top passing output in a game before yesterday was something like 110 yards. We had no answer for their good-but-not-great running backs. The pass rush was abysmal. No turnovers forced... we couldn't even recover any of their 4 or 5 fumbles.

This was really disappointing because the Defense had looked better the first three weeks of the season. They were serviceable in the first game against tOSU and played well enough for us to win the next two games. Even if the Offense had gotten out of their own way yesterday, I'm not sure we could have beaten Illinois with the Defense giving up so many point and long drives. A three-and-out every once in awhile would sure be nice.

I shudder to think of what a good team would have done to us. Yes, offense included. Illinois lit us up last year, too. I just don't get it. Any of it.

Yes, Illinois is a juggernaut...so is PSU and NW.
What corner has this defense turned since frosty arrived? I have also clearly said the offense is an issue. So, you aren't making changes on offense. Right? Something has to give soon. The coaching consistency/ continuity and scheme arguments have gone by the wayside, IMO.
I didn’t say I wouldn’t make offensive changes. I’m just telling you our defense is the only reason we have a win and were in the game against Northwestern. The same Northwestern that is leading the west and just beat Wisconsin. Offense has helped us in zero games.

Last edited:

The Blackshirts are swiss cheese man. They played one good half vs. winless Penn St, the rest has been absolutely embarrassing. The turnovers aren't the reason they have struggled
I'm not saying they are good. But they are the better of the two units right now. Why are people demanding we fire the coach of the better two?

So the defense gets thrown back out onto the field after 5, count them, 5 turnovers and since they aren't the '85 Bears they suck? How about the offense scores some points and not shoot themselves in the foot so the defense wouldn't be on the field so much? Seems like Frost is getting a pass for being a homegrown Husker. If Chinander was a Husker would he get the same pass?

The defense struggled yesterday, don't get me wrong. They were put in some tough spots. Offense needs to score or this experiment is going to fail.
I don’t expect the defense to be ‘85 Bears good. But being better than the Icebox and the Little Giants would be a nice start.

You won’t see me arguing that the offense is good, because it isn’t. It’s horrible. But so is the defense, and we shouldn’t pretend otherwise. The Blackshirts still surrendered 285 yards rushing to Illinois.

And I’ve given Frost no pass. I have next to zero optimism that he’s a good HC. But I also recognize that struggling HCs quite often get a chance to change things up with their struggling assistants. Frost will have that same chance, IMO, and Chins is bad.

I shudder to think of what a good team would have done to us. Yes, offense included. Illinois lit us up last year, too. I just don't get it. Any of it.
I know. I am afraid we will find out on Friday. Iowa isn't even that good on offense, but they are better than Illinois.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t make offensive changes. I’m just telling you our defense is the only reason we have a win and were in the game against Northwestern. The same Northwestern that is leading the west and just beat Wisconsin.

Agreed. But what do you really see Frost changing on offense? His philosophy?
This is where I am looking to you for some thoughts. Is Austin cutting it? Add a pass protection consultant?
Players just too young to rely on, so just run with it is, as-is? I can see that happening.

I didn’t say I wouldn’t make offensive changes. I’m just telling you our defense is the only reason we have a win and were in the game against Northwestern. The same Northwestern that is leading the west and just beat Wisconsin. Offense has helped us in zero games.
To be fair, NW’s offense is pretty average. Great job at limiting mistakes, but outside of the Maryland game, they won’t be lighting anyone on fire.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they are good. But they are the better of the two units right now. Why are people demanding we fire the coach of the better two?
Simply because frosty isn't leaving. It is a moot point since he isn't getting rid of anyone, IMO.
I guess we ride with what we have and hope these live bullets lead to something in spring and fall camp next year.

Two reasons:

1. SF has at least shown in the past that he’s capable of coordinating a great offense.

2. HCs get to place blame on their assistants, and get the opportunity to shake things up before getting canned. Trust me, I care ZERO that Frost is a Husker great.

Last edited:
To be fair, NW’s offense is pretty average. Great job at limiting mistakes, but outside of the Maryland game, they would be lighting anyone on fire.
I’m with ya. And I read your post about firing Chin, it’s tough for me to not agree. My point is just that even though we won’t be firing Frost or Lubick, doesn’t mean we have to fire someone then and get rid of someone performing better.

I think we're all saying the same thing. The product on the field isn't cutting it (all phases), and is falling below what many expected it to be. Which many were thinking to be .500ish.

As bad as this season is, and will likely continue to be, I'm still glad they're playing it.
I guess I will try to think more positively and be happy with the flashes and glimmers of hope with a few starting to show up more each game.
It is easy to overlook the positives.

Averaging 2 offensive tds a game is already guaranteeing losing out. Especially since after 4 games it appears like we don't have an offensive philosophy. Every game seems completely weird.

It's not been pretty. That's for sure. But we're still not changing offensive philosophy in the middle of the season, nor should we. Our best bet is to try to get better at what we do.

Yes Chinander not the biggest problem right now. But his defenses have proven that he is not the quality coordinator that we need. Plus the fact we already have a proven coordinator on staff in Bill McGovern. These buddy hires haven't worked since the Callahan days

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back