• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

I am again drinking the Red Kool-Aide!

Jury is out on QB ... yes 2AM had a ton of production but also had quite a few game changing mistakes that contributed to the close losses ... I think Whipple is the first true QB coach NU has had since Turner Gill. I think CT and CP will be lesser versions of 2AM (based on production) but will be more successful because they will be put into position to win the game.

Our WR room is deeper and has more potential than last season and maybe the best unit since the Nate Swift era. Right now many of us will take GOOD coaching as we haven't even had that for quite a few years.

O-Line will be less talented minus - Jurgens, Nouli, Sicterman - but will be better coached (already evident). Lots of talent still there with Teddy P, Corcoran, Benhart, Williams, Hunter, Hixon, Piper, Banks, Bando, Henry L ... decent 2-deep right there!
I am not convinced this WR year is better than last year. No doubt Torre was the best in the room. That said, IMO we have had better WR production since Swift and Pederson. Swift and Pederson was not exactly the best era of WRs. I really hope we have better Wide outs than that year. I had actually banked on it. If we don't then there is no way we hit .500.

I drank so much kool aid the other nite I had a dream where Husker fans were arguing whether say, a 56-7 win was just a win or a beatdown.
It ended with some story saying that we only looked good when we lucked into our 56 points making us look better than we were.

I'm going back on the wagon
I went back and watched the game last night. We really beat them down. That said, there was a pivitol point in the game where it could have gone south. NW had the ball 1st and goal at the 1 late in the 2nd. Had they punched it in, they would have been down 14 and put together two strong drives.

One of the things we did effectively last year was ran between the tackles. I think NW got hit with one too many good runs and one too many lineman blocking down field. Ramir looked really good in that game and so did Yant. Heck really AM2 was downright amazing. To think what could have been.

I am not convinced this WR year is better than last year. No doubt Torre was the best in the room. That said, IMO we have had better WR production since Swift and Pederson. Swift and Pederson was not exactly the best era of WRs. I really hope we have better Wide outs than that year. I had actually banked on it. If we don't then there is no way we hit .500.
In 2008 - Nate Swift and Todd Peterson combined for 1,727 yards, 125 catches and 14 TDs.

In the 13 seasons since there has been exactly one season in which the top two duo exceeded Swift and Peterson:
2018 - Stanley Morgan and JD Speilman had 1,822 yards, 136 catches and 15 TDs​

Last edited:
In 2008 - Nate Swift and Todd Peterson combined for 1,727 yards, 125 catches and 14 TDs.

In the 13 seasons since there has been exactly one season in which the top two duo exceeded Swift and Peterson:
Thats going down this year,maybe not just a duo though

We also had an offense that was pass first. Swift and especially Peterson did were solid receivers but not what I am hoping for. I would take the production last year between the 20s any day over Swift and Peterson's production. But it was inside the 20s why we were a 3-9 team.

Either way, I think this is getting off my point a bit. I hope you are right and this WR class is better. I think Manning will have a solid year but I doubt it will be a 1,000 yard season. I see him as the best WR we have until we see otherwise. Also, losing Allen was huge. I hope we can replace him with Volk. But really if we have a solid running game I think you will see our passing efficiency go way up.

We also had an offense that was pass first. Swift and especially Peterson did were solid receivers but not what I am hoping for. I would take the production last year between the 20s any day over Swift and Peterson's production. But it was inside the 20s why we were a 3-9 team.

Either way, I think this is getting off my point a bit. I hope you are right and this WR class is better. I think Manning will have a solid year but I doubt it will be a 1,000 yard season. I see him as the best WR we have until we see otherwise. Also, losing Allen was huge. I hope we can replace him with Volk. But really if we have a solid running game I think you will see our passing efficiency go way up.

The big difference is Mickey Joseph. He's one of, if not the best, WR coach in America.

Don't sleep on Trey Palmer, Marcus Washington and Isiah Garcia-Castandena. That trio with Manning is much better than last year's Toure, Manning, Falck and Betts!

Don't sleep on Trey Palmer, Marcus Washington and Isiah Garcia-Castandena. That trio with Manning is much better than last year's Toure, Manning, Falck and Betts!
I do hope you are right. Certainly i want to drink the Kool aid. I just dont see some of these guys playing that much based on the player praises from the coaches. My guess is that the starters are going to be Manning and Martin. But I hope we finally have enough performance at that position to replace players like Faulk and Martin. Martin is a great possession type reciever.

Having a QB that can quickly go through his progressions and ACCURATELY put the ball where it needs to be is going to improve our receivers imo. Indecision by a QB makes an O-line look worse and leads to desperation throws or constant scrambling. I'll be surprised if CT can't put most passes in very tight windows and he's certainly not afraid of doing it. I think our receivers will be more productive this season thus look much better. We need more SCORING in the RZ which I'm hoping this offense can produce.

We will win a lot this year, if Scott can get the Stupid out of his game!

That is all!

46c7733a-dd24-4c3f-b68d-6a6a9a676e2a_text.gif

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back