• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hypothetical question?

I was very pessimistic before the OU game, even questioning if Frost should be the coach after saying (paraphrasing here) he had no idea how to fix some things. I thought it may be time to go then.

Even though the Huskers lost to OU, MSU and Michigan, one of the biggest changes I have seen is the half time adjustments and the way the players react after these losses.

Half time adjustments are actually being made, and having an effect. Players are mad and emotional after a loss, they want more. Before it just seemed like a Monday at the office. Now it is like they have been asked to come in on Saturday by Lumbergh.

I hope the Huskers get to 6-6 at least this year, and next year I would hope for 8-9 wins, if not more. I am a lot more optimistic than I was at the beginning of the season.

Last edited:
How is it possible for Mel Tucker to be 6-0 in year 2, ranked in the top 10 and have a game last week where for the first time FBS HISTORY the QB throws for 300+, the RB runs for 200+ and the WR catches for 200+. Must be some kind of miracle that could only happen in Michigan…
It’s the water

so far under Frosts watch
4-8
5-7
3-5
3-4

He still has time this year to change the trajectory of his record. If he doesn’t change the trajectory this year. It doesn’t project better seasons. It’s based on hope. Will Trev put his job on the line for hope?

I hope we go 8-4 and win a bowl game.

The trajectory says 5-7.

6-6 he’s back and things can project upwards next year. 5-7 Trev will just be relaying on hope for a better record.
I don’t think Trev is relying on hope for anything. He goes to practice. He goes to the game. He watches and evaluates. If he doesn’t see things that add up to progress and improvement I don’t think he’ll be keeping things the same. He’ll know when/if SF has hit his ceiling and he’ll act accordingly when/if that happens.

Your foresight is as good as your spelling. Would you rather us go 9-3 and win only by miracle to 2 win teams while getting blown out of every meaningful game, or would you like us to one day be relevant?
9-3, regardless of the “quality” of the wins would be on the pathway to national relevance from where we are now. And I don’t think you win 9 games without some of them being “meaningful”. The conference we play in now prevents us from playing all “2 win teams”. Besides, all games are “meaningful” to me.

9-3, regardless of the “quality” of the wins would be on the pathway to national relevance from where we are now. And I don’t think you win 9 games without some of them being “meaningful”. The conference we play in now prevents us from playing all “2 win teams”. Besides, all games are “meaningful” to me.

What sucks about the schedule this year is it appears that it's an all or nothing situation. NU is either playing a top 10 team, or someone not very good. And based on the way things are looking, I don't see that changing the rest of the year. It'd be nice to see where we stack up against a team ranked between 20-25.

Sure, I can get that. As critical as I was of Bo, he beat a top ten team once and had a good record against teams ranked 20-25. That said, teams we should have beaten handily were usually nail biters. Teams that were favored against us usually blew us out of the water. Pre-season, every said that we had one of the hardest schedules in the country. Now certain posters want to glom onto the 3-4 record like we are horrible and have shown no progress. That (imo) is just silly.

I think most posters would say that post the Osborne/Solich era 2009 was our best team. In that year, we beat only 3 top 25 teams. Their rankings were 22, 20 and 24. Schedules matter. Now lets compare that to another Pelini season that I thought we did fairly well, 2011. We lost 3 games by more than 20 points. We also beat 2 top 15 teams. We also struggled with Fresno State at home (came down to the 4th quarter) and almost lost to the worst Ohio State team in the last 40 years. Our current record is not the metric people should be using as the benchmark for if we improved. Sure, I want an eight win season. I think next year we get there. But those posters who claim there is no improvement are fooling themselves or have a personal obsession with not being wrong.

What makes people think next year’s schedule is easier? I mean MSU was supposed to suck this year and Michigan.

Next year Northwestern will probably go 10-2. Rutgers and Indian might be massively improved, Minnesota as well.

We lose a ton of key players on D.

Will we have more offensive stars transfer ?

what about injuries?

I heard how easy the schedule was in 2019 ……how’d that go?

Better get a bowl this year cause there’s no guarantee of 6 plus wins next year.

Ahhh, yes sir, however, it’s likely that NU may have a new QB, and, a bunch of seniors are leaving. That has to be factored in as well. So, easier schedule, but, some new dudes in there. That could make that easier schedule, not so much easier. Just some things to consider, which is why I asked.
You asked about progress of the team. Every team has to absorb graduating players. I don't really see that as particularly unique to Nebraska next year, so relative to other teams I wouldn't give that situation any extra weight. My personal feeling is there is just as much gained from the development of the talented young players having an additional year. You can't ask us to anticipate things like whether Martinez stays or who comes/goes with the transfer portal now. We can't have an intelligent discussion about that stuff at this point.

One more comment about Tucker and MSU.

Tucker got rather lucky in that last offseason the popularity of the portal and transferring continued to grow among players. He also got lucky that the NCAA changed the rules and undergraduate transfers no longer have to sit out a year. Given that it's only Tucker's second season, a bunch of guys who were recruited by the previous staff may have decided their future wasn't at MSU under a different offensive and defensive system.

For Frost to do what Tucker did, he'd have to run off a bunch of guys who he and his staff recruited. Unless a guy's got off the field issues (getting in legal trouble, not going to class, etc.) I don't get the sense that Scott Frost would run off anybody who could contribute to the team, even if it's just as a practice player. I get the sense that Frost's really the opposite kind of guy. He gave Mo Washington several chances to change his behavior and stay on the team. He also seemed to really want McCaffrey to stick around.
Or maybe he's just a pretty good coach.

What makes people think next year’s schedule is easier? I mean MSU was supposed to suck this year and Michigan.

Next year Northwestern will probably go 10-2. Rutgers and Indian might be massively improved, Minnesota as well.

We lose a ton of key players on D.

Will we have more offensive stars transfer ?

what about injuries?

I heard how easy the schedule was in 2019 ……how’d that go?

Better get a bowl this year cause there’s no guarantee of 6 plus wins next year.

Don't know.
Maybe.
True.
Not sure.
No clue.
Not great.
Ok.

Last edited:
What sucks about the schedule this year is it appears that it's an all or nothing situation. NU is either playing a top 10 team, or someone not very good. And based on the way things are looking, I don't see that changing the rest of the year. It'd be nice to see where we stack up against a team ranked between 20-25.
Michigan State was 20th when we played them. And most likely will be that or lower by the end of the season.

Michigan State was 20th when we played them. And most likely will be that or lower by the end of the season.

Maybe, maybe not. They just keep winning, surprisingly. I'm starting to wonder if they are better than Penn St. But that's a fair point, regardless. With the remaining schedule, there are 3 pretty bad teams and 2 really good teams.

I think it’s a little too early. We need Minnesota and Purdue first. Heaven forbid we digress and lose one or two of these. Doing that pretty much cancels this last 4 weeks. I think 5 wins is minimum and that’s being nice after 4 years. I’d wait until he got the 5 wins.
So what you are saying this is almost a must win weekend once again. Doesn't it seem like every game this year other than Oklahoma has been must win-everyone thought we would lose that one? We keep getting teased with these close games but the fact remains we lost to Illinois and we only have 1 win in conference this year against probably the worst team in the conference. I would guess Illinois is the second worst. We are definitely improved but lose to Minnesota or Purdue and I think the fire gets stoked again.

I think Michigan State is probably in that range.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back