• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hypothetical question?

Husker In Oklahoma

All American
20 Year Member
Let’s say NU stays on trajectory and goes 5-7. Plays tough against the Buckeyes and Iowa. Comes back next year, and goes 6-6 or so. What happens then? If the team is highly competitive next year also but comes up short. Is it possible that this could carry on for say, 7-8 years, with Frost piling up a record of something like 42-42 after 7 seasons? What if in year 8, 12-1, then 10-3, 13-1. Is it possible, if NU holds that long, dividends could then be paid? I mean, it’s over half way there now. I’m not sure changing staffs would make anything really better after 7 years. It’s really a tough position for them. They’ll have to figure that out. I’m just curious on others thoughts.

I was hoping for 8 wins this year and 10 wins next year. Maybe I’m being too ambitious. NU is playing good football right now, just not finishing.

#justfinish
You’re not. I agree. Initially, I’ll admit, I thought NU would be kicking ass and getting payback by now. That’s not the case, so, have to adjust the thinking a bit. I’m not sure what the answer is, but something tells me changing isn’t the answer. I still think, and believe, that the upside with Frost is high. Maybe I’m wrong.

Let’s say NU stays on trajectory and goes 5-7. Plays tough against the Buckeyes and Iowa. Comes back next year, and goes 6-6 or so. What happens then? If the team is highly competitive next year also but comes up short. Is it possible that this could carry on for say, 7-8 years, with Frost piling up a record of something like 42-42 after 7 seasons? What if in year 8, 12-1, then 10-3, 13-1. Is it possible, if NU holds that long, dividends could then be paid? I mean, it’s over half way there now. I’m not sure changing staffs would make anything really better after 7 years. It’s really a tough position for them. They’ll have to figure that out. I’m just curious on others thoughts.
I agree. It all comes down to AM's successor. Are we going to be able to run a kid out there that can take our offense to the next level?

6-6 in 2022 is improvement. We keep going. So does SF. The fans aren’t setting the timeline for success. We may not get to 9 wins for 3 more years. We just have to wait it out.

Last edited:
6-6 in 2022 is improvement. We keep going. So does SF. The fans aren’t setting the timeline for success. We may not get to 9 wins for 3 more years. We just have to wait it out.
That’s the question. Wait it out, or change directions. I sure hope the team keeps improving. If they cut out the mistakes they are 6-1 or 7-0.

6-6 in 2022 will be a MAJOR disappointment.

3 Non-conference games at home ... 2 very winnable. Rematch with OU.
3 cross-over games against Indiana, Rutgers and Michigan ... 2 very winnable and a rematch with whiney-face!
2 Bye weeks before the Michigan and Wisconsin games.

Only "tough" part of the schedule is Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan games are on the road.

How is it possible for Mel Tucker to be 6-0 in year 2, ranked in the top 10 and have a game last week where for the first time FBS HISTORY the QB throws for 300+, the RB runs for 200+ and the WR catches for 200+. Must be some kind of miracle that could only happen in Michigan…

How is it possible for Mel Tucker to be 6-0 in year 2, ranked in the top 10 and have a game last week where for the first time FBS HISTORY the QB throws for 300+, the RB runs for 200+ and the WR catches for 200+. Must be some kind of miracle that could only happen in Michigan…

They still have Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State left on their schedule.

so far under Frosts watch
4-8
5-7
3-5
3-4

He still has time this year to change the trajectory of his record. If he doesn’t change the trajectory this year. It doesn’t project better seasons. It’s based on hope. Will Trev put his job on the line for hope?

I hope we go 8-4 and win a bowl game.

The trajectory says 5-7.

6-6 he’s back and things can project upwards next year. 5-7 Trev will just be relaying on hope for a better record.

I agree with. And he inherited a mess. The Nassar deal was great for his recruiting. I bet he is still using culture issues as an excuse

I think people are really starting to see just how much scar tissue Frost and Alberts (and Moos) had to dig through.

We had 20+ years of slapping band aids on top of band aids. I've posted about this before, but from probably Callahan-forward, we've never had a consistent AD-HC-OC-DC combo for anything longer than about 18 months. You can weather the loss of a coordinator or two (look at Saban) but you've got to already have the program structure built and in place. We didn't.

When you try to build the plane while you're flying, you'll eventually crash down to earth.

so far under Frosts watch
4-8
5-7
3-5
3-4

He still has time this year to change the trajectory of his record. If he doesn’t change the trajectory this year. It doesn’t project better seasons. It’s based on hope. Will Trev put his job on the line for hope?

I hope we go 8-4 and win a bowl game.

The trajectory says 5-7.

6-6 he’s back and things can project upwards next year. 5-7 Trev will just be relaying on hope for a better record.i
I fear that that’s exactly what will happen. Frost ends up 5-7 and they decide to kick the can down the street. So we roll with a coach that has to recruit being on the hot seat and all the ESPN boys talking about Frost and Nebraska in a negative light. So the next thing they have to extend his contract again because his lack of extension will be used against him. And we still have a losing coach and a 20 million buy out.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back