• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers will play Fordham on 4 September

Maybe I am the only one...

A lot of "love adding Fordham in the early schedule to build confidence and Fordham is a good school to schedule (for a variety of reasons)."

For me it looks like hyping a Citadel-like school because otherwise someone might start talking about scheduling cupcakes.

I understand the team may be in a place where hyping a Fordham team seems appropriate. My personal opinion, is keep scheduling only the best. Iron sharpens iron. If the team loses, it loses, but it gets better. Yes, Nebraska has a tough schedule this year... Good! Make it tougher.

And maybe I am wrong but beating up on "maybe the Yale of New York" won't turn a lot of heads in recruiting. MAYBE, the Rutgers game last year has already done that in the area anyway.

Could you imagine Husker fans of the 90's showing the same enthusiasm in this thread for a game against... Fordham? I imagine this announcement would have been met with a collective sigh and a "what the heck are they thinking?"

I would have preferred to keep in SE Louisiana in place. Better yet, a MAC school, South Dakota, Hawaii, JMU, Nevada, Liberty... I understand options were limited but was this really the best option on the table?

Last edited:

A lot of "love adding Fordham in the early schedule to build confidence and Fordham is a good school to schedule (for a variety of reasons)."

For me it looks like hyping a Citadel-like school because otherwise someone might start talking about scheduling cupcakes.

I understand the team may be in a place where hyping a Fordham team seems appropriate. My personal opinion, is keep scheduling only the best. Iron sharpens iron. If the team loses, it loses, but it gets better. Yes, Nebraska has a tough schedule this year... Good! Make it tougher.

And maybe I am wrong but beating up on "maybe the Yale of New York" won't turn a lot of heads in recruiting. MAYBE, the Rutgers game last year has already done that in the area anyway.

Could you imagine Husker fans of the 90's showing the same enthusiasm in this thread for a game against... Fordham? I imagine this announcement would have been met with a collective sigh and a "what the heck are they thinking?"

I would have preferred to keep in SE Louisiana in place. Better yet, a MAC school, South Dakota, Hawaii, JMU, Nevada, Liberty... I understand options were limited but was this really the best option on the table?
Nobody cares who we’re playing in this one. It’s simply about the availability of the opponent and when we can get them to Lincoln. This is not about competition, at all. Read DParks post again.

FCS school for FCS school. I’m ok with it.

The "Seven Blocks of Granite" Played together 1935 and 1936
Offensive Line Coach: Frank Leahy (Later of Notre Dame)

The line they put together consisted of, from left to right end, Leo Paquin, Ed Franco, Nat Pierce, Alex Wojciechowicz, Vince Lombardi, Al Babartsky and Johnny Druze.
My dad had a full ride football scholarship to Fordham which unfortunately was interrupted by a inconvenient event known as WW2. :oops:

Nobody cares who we’re playing in this one. It’s simply about the availability of the opponent and when we can get them to Lincoln. This is not about competition, at all. Read DParks post again.

Yes, I understand this. So... Moving the bye week while taking a perceived drop in competition is worth $600k?

Move the bye week and improve the opponent... That would be better.

Yes, I understand this. So... Moving the bye week while taking a perceived drop in competition is worth $600k?

Move the bye week and improve the opponent... That would be better.
The money is irrelevant. We wanted a game September 4 primarily because we need another early home game for recruiting purposes. This gives us a couple of lighter opponents heading into the Oklahoma game. And this gives us 2 bye weeks late in the season when we’re banged up. We have plenty of high level competition on the schedule including 2 of the top 4 teams in the country. This is a no brainer.

The SEC does it EVERY year as a quote unquote bye week before Alabama & Auburn play every year. Don't hear them complain about it.

Per bolded, I would think since Sept 4th was opening day for CFB, that all "the best" teams were already playing a game and that, at best, there were only a few teams, in FCS, to chose from, if that many. But I agree, Fordham needs to be a one time anomaly.

Last edited:

The SEC does it EVERY year as a quote unquote bye week before Alabama & Auburn play every year. Don't hear them complain about it.

Is that really an example we want to use? That is exactly why I named Citadel as an example.

I suppose priorities matter. Greatness is not achieved through these type of games and the SEC out of conference schedules and their lack of strength gets plenty of attention.

"But they play for national titles." Is the priority winning a title or how a team wins it? In the deed, the... You know, that thing. It is the same reason I laugh at World Series titles the Yankees bought. Sure, they won but Billy Beane and the Athletics have more of my respect. Sure, it wasn't by choice but what they accomplished changed all sports moving forward.

I prefer to see a team hold itself to a higher standard, not what is commonly accepted or an SEC standard. Lots of people disagree with me, that's fine. My opinion is that part of what makes Nebraska great is they do things their own way and don't give two rips what another team or conference does. That and being so physical that it was normal for teams to lose their following game due to the punishment the Huskers inflicted upon them. Not backing down and giving opponents props when it was due. It was more about each game and less about polls. Let that part settle itself. That gets respect and changes perception. That gets recruits... Really good recruits if you can be competitive.

Would Osborne back losing $600k to play a weaker opponent because he was worried about the placement of a bye week? Would he think that doing so would help recruiting? Again, I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

No, it isn't the 90's and Nebraska has a long way to go but I believe if you want to be great, you need to take on that swagger and act like it first.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back