• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers vs Wolverines - Game #1 of 3 - Friday - 5-28-21 - 12:00 pm Ctrl - Hawks Field

Huskers Blank Michigan to Win Series Opener!​

Lincoln – Three Huskers combined on a four-hit shutout to lead the Nebraska baseball team to its ninth straight win with a series-opening 1-0 victory over Michigan Friday afternoon in front of a season-high 5,434 fans at Hawks Field.

Cade Povich started and earned the win after matching his career high by going 7.0 innings. Povich (6-1) allowed only four hits and struck out nine, including an immaculate first inning where he struck out all three Wolverines on just nine pitches. Jake Bunz tossed a scoreless eighth inning with a pair of strikeouts before Spencer Schwellenbach pitched a perfect ninth inning to record his eighth save of the season. The shutout was Nebraska's sixth of the season.

Schwellenbach also scored the only run of the game, coming home on a two-out RBI single from Luke Roskam in the bottom of the sixth inning. That was the only run Michigan ace Steve Hajjar allowed in a complete-game effort. Hajjar (4-1) tossed a four-hitter but suffered the first loss of his career after entering the game with a 7-0 career record.

Offensively for Nebraska, each of the top four hitters in the Husker lineup singled to account for the Huskers' four hits. Joe Acker was 1-for-4 out of the leadoff spot, while Jaxon Hallmark was 1-for-3 with a walk and Schwellenbach and Roskam also finished 1-for-3.

Nebraska improved to 30-11 with its ninth straight win, while Michigan fell to 26-16 with the loss.

Last edited:

Over 5400 home fans…

30th win in a classic, solid baseball game.

What a great way to start Memorial Day weekend!

Just saw the final results. 6 month old woke from nap and then woke the 3 1/2 year old.

Exhausted but happy! Life is good!

But I do hope my wife comes home soon!

I am in total awe of mothers of multiple young children.

She always told me being away to some God forsaken place was the easy part.

I believe her.

Last edited:
I finally got to see a game this year and man, what a nail biter that was. That is an instant classic college baseball game right there now. 30 - 11 looks nice.

Regarding the weather for games 2 and 3...

No problems tomorrow/Saturday.

Increasing concerns for rain Sunday morning, then a matter of it it moves out by noon. There's a chance Sunday's game is a delayed start -- if Michigan can do that. I think most of the afternoon will be fine for baseball once it clears out (again, that's assuming there is rain around Sunday AM -- not a 100% chance, but a good chance).

Michigan in a bind…Win tomorrow and they might want to bolt on Sunday if the weather is a decent excuse…just to preserve some dignity and take no chances with the committee…end on a good note so to speak.

Lose tomorrow to us and it gets even dicier.

They threw their absolute best against us today it could really go downhill for them.

I don’t hate Michigan, I really don’t. I think they have done a lot for raising the respect of the Big Ten with their run in the College World Series last time we had one.

At the same time, I just would not mind sweeping them….

Michigan in a bind…Win tomorrow and they might want to bolt on Sunday if the weather is a decent excuse…just to preserve some dignity and take no chances with the committee…end on a good note so to speak.

Lose tomorrow to us and it gets even dicier.

They threw their absolute best against us today it could really go downhill for them.

I don’t hate Michigan, I really don’t. I think they have done a lot for raising the respect of the Big Ten with their run in the College World Series last time we had one.

At the same time, I just would not mind sweeping them….
If they do want to "bolt" (nice insert!! ;) ), too bad. It's not like it was covid related. I doubt they "bolt", myself. :) I am assuming you are just kidding, right? ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back