• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers vs Spartans - Sat. - 5-21-22 - 12:05 pm - Hawks Field - Possible Playoff Spot!!

They could have played 2 hours and gotten in enough of the game, if they wanted to, but Purdon't chose to be cowards, and then back into the tourney. They had a better percentage than us, but less wins! Totally without class, is Purdon't!

This sort of tells some of what happened:

LOL

By the way, there is no truth to the rumor that the bus hauling the Purdue baseball team will drive in reverse gear all the way from Eppley Airfield to the stadium for next week’s Big Ten Tournament

Maybe revenge ...... Huskers @ Purdoo on October 15th.

Stop blaming PU. NU has done nothing this year to deserve the post season.
Yes…and I know in Omaha that team will get razzed mercilessly and that is frankly a shame. Those kids are…kids…and they don’t make the decisions…they just play ball and Purdue just doesn’t have much success in Baseball. And Nebraska fans have a reputation for courtesy and sportsmanship…not the hooligans you see elsewhere.

But at the same time I think it is somewhat indicative of a “mindset” that has wormed it’s way into amateur sports.

Do anything to “Win”…sportsmanship be damned. NIL deals, enticing kids to transfer, shady recruiting, et all.

Last week the Huskers played a 7 hour baseball game at Illinois into the night. Two 45 minute weather delays that turned into 3. A torrential rain and at 6 hours in…the game was tied at the end of 9 innings. Nebraska was the visiting team and had a LONG bus ride waiting. BiG and NCAA rules allow for a ”tie”…..umpire makes the call. At this point a tie does not hurt Nebraska‘s chances for the Tournament while a loss certainly does. Umpires and coaches discussed as well as calls to school officials and all decided to “play the game” if at all possible. A break in the weather occurred. Illinois has an artificial turf field and the game continued at the 7 hour mark. Illinois wound up winning.

End of story right?

Not so fast….had the Huskers “gone for the tie” they would be headed to Omaha. But instead they treated the game, the fans and their opponent with respect and made every effort “to play”….regardless. I dunno….but kind of what I think amateur sports should be all about.

Compare the above situation to what went on in West Layfeette on Saturday.

Draw your own conclusions.

OBTW….Maryland had a plane waiting…yeah…right. Name me a College Sport that does not have multiple backup plans for travel in case of extended game, weather etc.

Sigh….

Last edited:
@HuskerDB

Corn Nation says 20 new players will immediately join Nebraska’s roster for next year. 9 JuCo kids among them.

This leaves out possible transfers during the summer fall, and winter.

Think you are going to see that “makeover“ you talked about.

My hope is that Childress was actively a part of evaluating and bringing in this talent.

We'll probably never know what and who all was involved in the decision to cancel the Purdue-Maryland game.

We don't know who provided the weather forecasts for game three of that series -- and I have a sense it wasn't a good forecast.

Maryland had zero to gain by playing that game. Do you really believe Maryland pushed for the game to happen? Do you really believe Maryland would have been willing to delay their flight home -- for a meaningless game for the Terps? There's a very real possibility Maryland was in full favor of the cancellation -- or at least provided no pushback.

Purdue stated they weren't wanting to play the game if it were to be called before being completed. I can't blame them for that. Let's say Purdue was down 2-1 to the Terps in the 6th inning, game gets called off, Purdue takes the loss. And again, it goes right back to the weather forecast. Also, the Big Ten stated that all games must be completed on Saturday -- that was the end of the regular season.

Even had the game been played, Maryland could have very easily played a bunch of backups and gift-wrapped a win for Purdue -- because again the Terps already had the 1-seed locked up.

It's pretty easy for Nebraska fans to point their fingers at Purdue. But it's very likely they weren't the only ones involved.

IMO, Nebraska has no one to blame but themselves for not making the tournament. We had a bad season with a lot of bad losses.

Last edited:
@HuskerWeatherman

All true…which entirely leads back to my lament on amateur sports right now…

Maryland the culprit? Purdue the Culprit? Does it matter?

Cancel games because they are “meaningless“?? …when they aren’t?

Too much questionable stuff being done by the people in charge and this is simply one example. And it’s not just this…it’s EVERYTHING to do with college sports lately.

I did some checking…and calling the sports department at the Lafayette Journal Courier, Lafayette’s Newpaper.

The person I spoke with was friendly and honest. Said it was pretty obvious both teams did not want to play and were looking for an excuse. Said it DID look like bad weather coming…but there was no real effort to even start the game. He said the thing about the 5:30 flight from Midway airport for Maryland is almost laughable as all teams have multiple travel arrangements and back up plans if a game is extended.

Here is a picture of the field he sent me…at that time…..and the expected rain never materialized. Two High School Games were played in the area…one was cancelled.

Nebraska should have not let themselves get into this position…check…you are correct….absolutely true.

What happend Saturday in West Layfayette should not have happened either. A valid effort should have been made to play…that simple as well.

FAB3365D-2093-497E-9A40-5FFF87376E76.jpeg

@HuskerWeatherman

All true…which entirely leads back to my lament on amateur sports right now…

Maryland the culprit? Purdue the Culprit? Does it matter?

Cancel games because they are “meaningless“?? …when they aren’t?

Too much questionable stuff being done by the people in charge and this is simply one example. And it’s not just this…it’s EVERYTHING to do with college sports lately.

I did some checking…and calling the sports department at the Lafayette Journal Courier, Lafayette’s Newpaper.

The person I spoke with was friendly and honest. Said it was pretty obvious both teams did not want to play and were looking for an excuse. Said it DID look like bad weather coming…but there was no real effort to even start the game. He said the thing about the 5:30 flight from Midway airport for Maryland is almost laughable as all teams have multiple travel arrangements and back up plans if a game is extended.

Here is a picture of the field he sent me…at that time…..and the expected rain never materialized. Two High School Games were played in the area…one was cancelled.

Nebraska should have not let themselves get into this position…check…you are correct….absolutely true.

What happend Saturday in West Layfayette should not have happened either. A valid effort should have been made to play…that simple as well.

View attachment 82819

I appreciate your efforts in reaching out.

And while everything you say is true, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's the same take when some bubble team gets left out of the basketball tournament. Don't put your team on the fringe where someone else's game, results, and decisions matter. If you're team number 67 or 68 in March Madness -- or team 8 or 9 for the Big Ten baseball tournament -- you really aren't very good anyhow. If you make it in, consider yourself fortunate. If you don't, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I use that approach throughout all of life. Only concern myself about what I can control -- not others. I almost never point the finger at anyone but myself. It truly never does any good -- unless venting is important.

Last edited:

I use that approach throughout all of life. Only concern myself about what I can control -- not others. I almost never point the finger at anyone but myself. It truly never does any good -- unless venting is important.
Ha… good approach…

It’s just venting….

The basic values of “amateur sports” in general seems to be shuffled aside in todays world. It’s just about ”winning” or controversy or money.

take a look at ESPNs lead stories….or the click bait announcements that pop up on my Apple Watch.

I wanted my two sons to play a High School varsity sport…or be in the band, or the debate club, or the chorus……anything where values of sacrifice, teamwork and hard work towards a goal are stressed. Knowing full well that they would experience frustration and disappointment as well.

Because this is life and their experience in sports would help them. I know it did me.

I have watched so much high school sports degenerate into all or nothing factories of inevitable disappointment based on wrong values and it seems to be getting a grip on college athletics as well.

It just bothers me.

Sooooo….vent over.

Am good…on to dinner!:)

Stop blaming PU. NU has done nothing this year to deserve the post season.
Regardless of our record, Purdue refused to play the last game, knowing they would get into the tournament without having to play. They were afraid to "earn" it, because they had to face Md's ace.

They had, at least, 2 hours to play. Many teams bused, lately, to get a game in. They are real competitors. What Purdue did was unethical!
1653340933903.png

Yes…and I know in Omaha that team will get razzed mercilessly and that is frankly a shame. Those kids are…kids…and they don’t make the decisions…they just play ball and Purdue just doesn’t have much success in Baseball. And Nebraska fans have a reputation for courtesy and sportsmanship…not the hooligans you see elsewhere.

But at the same time I think it is somewhat indicative of a “mindset” that has wormed it’s way into amateur sports.

Do anything to “Win”…sportsmanship be damned. NIL deals, enticing kids to transfer, shady recruiting, et all.

Last week the Huskers played a 7 hour baseball game at Illinois into the night. Two 45 minute weather delays that turned into 3. A torrential rain and at 6 hours in…the game was tied at the end of 9 innings. Nebraska was the visiting team and had a LONG bus ride waiting. BiG and NCAA rules allow for a ”tie”…..umpire makes the call. At this point a tie does not hurt Nebraska‘s chances for the Tournament while a loss certainly does. Umpires and coaches discussed as well as calls to school officials and all decided to “play the game” if at all possible. A break in the weather occurred. Illinois has an artificial turf field and the game continued at the 7 hour mark. Illinois wound up winning.

End of story right?

Not so fast….had the Huskers “gone for the tie” they would be headed to Omaha. But instead they treated the game, the fans and their opponent with respect and made every effort “to play”….regardless. I dunno….but kind of what I think amateur sports should be all about.

Compare the above situation to what went on in West Layfeette on Saturday.

Draw your own conclusions.

OBTW….Maryland had a plane waiting…yeah…right. Name me a College Sport that does not have multiple backup plans for travel in case of extended game, weather etc.

Sigh….
Good job, John. It is said, with our record, we don't deserve to go. Well, do you think Purdue deserves to go? Purdue has less wins than we do, but they managed to come out with a "higher percentage". Rewarded for averting a game they had plenty of time to start. Purde's coaches intentions was pure gamesmanship.

But, you are right: don't blame the kids; blame the institution.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back