• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HUSKERS/SOONERS BASEBALL THREAD - SATURDAY - 4/23/11 - 2:00 PM START

CrnhskrBob

Husker Immortal
20 Year Member
First off, I want to wish my oldest daughter, Debbie, a happy, happy 48th birthday!! :banana::banana::rockon::clap:

I won't be around much, after the start of today's game. As said, today is the
last greeting and dance with the elderly for a while. :clap: We will start
up a little later on. :)

Well, we got our butts handed to us, last night! We should not be surprised,
in any case. Okla is a good team, period! We are young and will struggle
for a couple of years, I am sure.

No starters were posted for today's game as yet.

Here is a short editorial on last night's loss:

Norman, Okla. – Nebraska’s (25-15, 5-8) bid for its third straight win of the week week was put to stop Friday night as No. 11 Oklahoma (28-11, 8-7) took an early lead and took the first game of the series 9-2 at L. Dale Mitchell Park.

Facing the Big 12’s top offensive attack, the Sooners tallied 15 hits on five NU pitchers. Oklahoma starter Michael Rocha (8-1) threw a complete game and held Nebraska to its only two runs in the fourth inning. The Huskers produced eight hits off Rocha, but did not create any offense until the fourth when OU had already taken a 5-0 lead.

“We escaped damage in the first and second innings, but we didn’t escape damage in the third,” head coach Mike Anderson said. “It was a poor outing that way. We’ll try to learn from it. I’m glad the kids fought back and had a chance when we made it 5-2. We made some physical errors but there were some mental errors (also). I give Oklahoma credit. They did a very good job tonight, but they didn’t force us to make those errors. We forced those errors and we haven’t been doing that. Hopefully we can control that tomorrow.”

Matt Freeman was chased after 2.0 innings as OU scored one in the first and added four in the third, including a three-run homer to left by Tyler Ogle. Freeman did have a clean second inning, aided by an 8-2 putout from Krietemeier to Burleson to get out Seitzer at the plate and end the frame, keeping OU at one run.

Rocha, meanwhile, went through Nebraska’s lineup in order the first time around before the Huskers came alive in the fourth and tagged him for four hits. Kale Kiser singled a full count pitch up the middle to start the inning before Cody Asche and Kash Kalkowski roped back-to-back RBI doubles to make it 5-2 with one out. The Huskers had a chance to chip away further at the Sooner lead, but Chad Christensen hit a grounder to short and could not beat the relay as the Sooners turned a 6-4-3 double play.

Leading 5-2, the Sooners scored a run in the fourth and three more in the fifth off relievers Tom Lemke and Brandon Pierce. Chase Adams and Sean Yost combined to throw the final 2.0 innings and kept OU off the board.

Farmer, who went 2-for-3, had his 14th multiple hit game of the season, while Kiser also went 2-for-4 to give the duo half of Nebraska’s hit total.

Nebraska will look to even the series when the three-game set continues Saturday afternoon. First pitch is at 2 p.m

Last edited:

OU is a team that we do not match up with at all well. They have a bunch of hitters in their lineup, so they are going ro score some runs. Unfortunately, our lack of offense keeps us from being competitive against a good hitting team, no matter how well our pitchers perform.

HUSKER LINEUP:

Kale Kiser
Bryan Peters
Cody Asche
Kash Kalkowski
Kurt Farmer
Chad Christensen
Cory Burleson
Tanner Kreitemeier
Pat Hirschberg DH (1st start)

Jon Keller on the mound 2-3 record - 40 k 23 bb
rhp

SOONER LINEUP:

cf Ross
ss Bushyhead
3b Buechele
c Ogle
dh Mistich
lf Johnson
rf Eisenberg
1b Seitzer
2b Ellis

rhp Burt Smith - 54 k's 16 bb .265 opp avg

OU is a team that we do not match up with at all well. They have a bunch of hitters in their lineup, so they are going ro score some runs. Unfortunately, our lack of offense keeps us from being competitive against a good hitting team, no matter how well our pitchers perform.

Nothing new, when it comes to playing good teams. :(

The only change in their lineup is, Mayfield is out (injured, I think he said), replaced by Ellis...at 2b

Cory making excuses for their struggles. In words, line drives being caught in certain situations, instead of getting lucky with a hit. blah, blah, blah!! This is a game of inches, period!!! :(

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back