• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers Open as 8 point favorites over Northwestern; Already up to 12

This should be the closest thing to a lock left on our schedule. Fitz is a good coach but NU has margin for error here. Our d and the overall talent gap are too large of an advantage, barring some crazy multi turnover game from the O.
Or barring a series of Special Teams meltdowns.

If the team is anywhere close to turning the corner, this is a game they win and win comfortably. Nothing is a given though when you have horrendous special teams and an offense that is only good for about 20 points a game against Power 5 opponents. If the final margin is 8 or fewer points, I am not confident that Nebraska will be the winning team. If we are capable of losing to an atrocious Illinois team, then we are capable of losing to a bad Northwestern team.

Researching NW + watching highlights - thank goodness Paddy Fisher finally graduated & is now playing on Sundays with the Panthers. That said, their LB play is always solid. They've changed QBs - the Sophomore Gamecocks transfer Hilinski will start & seems elusive. Always close games with the cats... probably be another nail biter.

Fitzgerald always coaches well with what he has it seems, so it could be close. But I'd like to see us more than cover. That would show we may be starting to not play down / "win the ones we should", which is a key development step for where we are right now.

In particular, can our D sustain their level of play against a weaker offense? Can they go full foot on throat?

And considering our special teams woes are often (though not always) largely self inflicted, it would also mean something not to have a major screw up there, even in a game where a ST screw up wouldn't necessarily cause a loss.

I'd ask for better OL play too but I don't want to get greedy.

Last edited:
Fitzgerald v. Frost is not a good matchup. Fitz has his hands all over the defense and has shown for years to be two steps ahead of offensive coordinators. Fitz routinely makes magic with 2-3 star talent through superior schemes. His soft zones and two deeps are disguised so well it baits QBs into check downs, changed plays and throws they should not make. Win for Northwestern.

Bajakian v. Chins is a better matchup. Bajakian has a running game centric background and lacks the tools to score many points right now. Husker D is performing at a high level and may just get the magical pick 6 or scoop 6 this week. Win here for Huskers.

Special Teams- no discussion needed. Northwestern is not great but better than Huskers by a mile. Win for Northwestern.

The Husker D is good enough to carry the game. The key will be ball security, NO turnovers (especially interceptions) and special teams play that is low average, which will be an upgrade. Huskers win in a close one score game.

Last edited:

Our offense is good for around 20 points per game.
I think our D can hold them to 10.

The question is, how many points do our O and ST give up?

I wouldn’t be surprised if NU was favored in one more game after this one. I wouldn't expect 2 more however.
Blow out NW and we'll be favored in more then 1 more game imo. How many I honestly don't care if we can win at least a total of 6 games!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back