• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

Huskers Offer Highly Sought After In-State 2020 WR Xavier Watts

HuskerHeathen

Recruit
5 Year Member
The following is a true statement: Not all Nebraska kids want to play for Nebraska

In the past we've had good local players choose to go elsewhere (this is true) even in the Osborne era (see Larry Station or Scott Frost). Frosty may be the poster child for this in terms of "doing his own thing" when he chose Bill Walsh over TO (fortunately for NU football that didn't work out).

It is possible that when a person on the board here just says a kid might want to do his own thing, the person is just simply reflecting the true statement above. Nothing more than that ....nothing about proximity being tough or a lamentation on how hard it is to recruit.

But, I do think I understand you're frustration with NU fans always trying to come up with excuses of why we can't do this or do that particularly when it comes to recruiting.... We've always seemed to have plenty of built in excuses. We've had head coaches lead the way with built in excuses.....

Okay, that's all I got... :Biggrin:
Your kool-aid is stale and putrid.
You must have bought it on sale after the SELL BY date.

Last edited:

Beareye

Red Shirt
2 Year Member
NU was five for five with the instate players we offered last year, and at least two of those five could have gone just about anywhere. Betts and Watts are the two instate 2020 class prospects that we have offered, and Betts has already committed. Ruud, Frost, and company seem to have a pretty good handle on instate recruiting.

Every kid is different, and there is of course no guarantee with Watts. There certainly is some reason for optimism and hope based on recent success though.

HuSkaBob

Husker Geek
5 Year Member
The guy fans should be worried about losing out on is Xavier Watts. Michigan and especially Notre Dame are really pushing hard for him. The Irish might be the leader at the moment.
@N2FL - I know UNL wants to keep Watts at home, what's the deal? Grass is greener? Better offensive fit? Just wants to get away?

NU was five for five with the instate players we offered last year, and at least two of those five could have gone just about anywhere. Betts and Watts are the two instate 2020 class prospects that we have offered, and Betts has already committed. Ruud, Frost, and company seem to have a pretty good handle on instate recruiting.

Every kid is different, and there is of course no guarantee with Watts. There certainly is some reason for optimism and hope based on recent success though.
Exactly. Not only have we done a great job of recruiting locally, our offense is going to be record setting this year, IMO, and we are going to see the kind of stars that Frost can make out of offensive skill players writ large. If he's not into Nebraska, then we are on an even playing field with the rest. It's possible we'll lose him, but I think Frost and our coaches will give us every chance to get him to NU, unless he really just wants to move away from home.