• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers & Dallas Cowboys

jpmandm

Long time listener, first time caller
10 Year Member
I've been listening to sports radio in DFW pick apart the Cowboys after yet another immediate failure in the playoffs. Listening to them rattle through some of the Cowboys "streaks" and perceived cultural problems had me thinking that they seem a lot Nebraska, especially up until the Riley years: Lots of respectable regular seasons, but no post-season success. We're in doldrums now that the Cowboys haven't seen in a while, but I hope we turn it around this year. Either way the similarities were interesting:

The Cowboys' last Super Bowl win was 1995, when Nebraska won a national title. We had on in '97 obviously, but the drought since then is about the same.

The Cowboys have been through a similar parade of coaches of various backgrounds (with our own Bill Callahan on staff for a while).

Lots of people believe the Cowboys problems stem from a culture that celebrates itself and its own past accomplishments too much, while forgetting how long ago those achievements now are. The Cowboys talk about their "mystique" and being "America's team" the way we sometimes talk about the sellout streak or the "nicest fans in college football" or all of our winning so-called "blue blood" achievements from the '70s through the '90s, a very similar time frame to the Cowboys' run.

We don't have Jerry Jones, obviously, but there are some common elements. Here's to hoping we flip the script and have a successful 2022 season. I think we will.

Was just telling my buddy the other day that Nebraska and Dallas are similar in many ways. Great call out.

Last edited:
4E626187-217A-413B-88AC-A54CE47859C2.jpg

I make this comparison frequently. Partially because I'm aware of the correlation, partially because I hate the Cowboys, partially because I live in Texas and am from Nebraska.

Dallas has won a grand total of three playoff games in the past 25 years (3-10 in the postseason over that span). I'm certain there aren't more than 5 or so teams that can say that. The NFL is structured so that every team has a good opportunity to turn things around. Dallas just never does. Yet most years, the Cowboys have the talent to do more. A lot of years, Dallas is mentioned as a Super Bowl candidate, but never get close. Dallas was one of the most talented teams in the NFL this season. Total fail!

They are typically cursed by bad coaching -- and Mike McCarthy currently is not the answer. I love it. Problem is, Jerry Jones is buddies with McCarthy. Big mistake.

Last edited:
I make this comparison frequently. Partially because I'm aware of the correlation, partially because I hate the Cowboys, partially because I live in Texas and am from Nebraska.

Dallas has won a grand total of three playoff games in the past 25 years (3-10 in the postseason over that span). I'm certain there aren't more than 5 or so teams that can say that. The NFL is structured so that every team has a good opportunity to turn things around. Dallas just never does. Yet most years, the Cowboys have the talent to do more. A lot of years, Dallas is mentioned as a Super Bowl candidate, but never get close. Dallas was one of the most talented teams in the NFL this season. Total fail!

They are typically cursed by bad coaching -- and Mike McCarthy currently is not the answer. I love it. Problem is, Jerry Jones is buddies with McCarthy. Big mistake.
They’re actually cursed with bad ownership…

couldn't the bolded be the main issue? I mean if it wasn't for the Walker trade, would they have won those championships?

This graph isn’t accurate. They won 12 games this year. Move that blue line to the 12 mark in the last year and it shows a very stark contrast to Nebraska.
Well, after the rose bowl run this year it would fix that…,

Don’t believe this past season is included on the graph

Goodness gracious I hate Dallas. This is a conundrum. Does cheering for Dallas mean more success for NU? Not sure I could do this.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back