• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Huskers and the 2019 NFL Draft

Absolutely despise tweets like this that try to paint a negative picture when the painting isn’t needed. “Duke, Houston, Kentucky, Iowa, Maryland, NC State, Washington State, Alabama State, all with picks before Georgia. Let that sink in!”

You could do this every year with really crappy or lower level teams that have one or two guys that go before powerhouse teams.

Last edited:

Absolutely despise tweets like this that try to paint a negative picture when the painting isn’t needed. “Duke, Houston, Kentucky, Iowa, Maryland, NC State, Washington State, Alabama State, all with picks before Georgia. Let that sink in!”

You could do this every year with really crappy or lower level teams that have one or two guys that go before powerhouse teams.

As I told you off the forum I agree with you for all the obvious reasons

Chris Heady is on OWH staff?

If so, that kind of social media post does ZERO for the paper. In my estimation, it is big negative. Don’t win any paying customers with that stuff ...

The more interesting ;post would be of the person who when opening day rosters are announced takes the trouble to check how many undrafted free agents are on the roster. An added benefit of that would be to see how many Husker players who went free agent this year made opening day rosters.

This review says that 17^% of the players playing a significant number of snaps in 2018 were UDFA. It also says that there were more UDFA playing than players from any other single draft round draft round other than the First round. Interesting. I think the 17% number is fairly large and suggests that picking and choosing at draft time is very hard.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/20...gents-play-more-often-than-you-probably-think

You could also say, "Duke, Houston, Kentucky, ... How many of those teams had as good a season as Georgia?" Last I checked, they don't give out trophies for most players taken in the draft. Not trophies that matter, anyway.

If you really want to dig into where Nebraska has come up short, help me look at the "should-have-been" Husker players from the 500-mile radius who went elsewhere. If someone from St. Louis goes to Ohio State or Missouri, that's one thing, but when kids from western Iowa, the Dakotas, northern Kansas, southwest Minnesota, eastern Wyoming, northeast Colorado, northwest Missouri, and Nebraska(!) go somewhere else and end up in the NFL, that, to me, was/is a major red flag. It's been an issue for a long time. Say what you will about Callahan, but he had Riley Reiff from Parkston, SD, verbally committed to Nebraska, but Bo's staff couldn't be bothered to call him or even return his calls (true story!!!) after they took over, so he went to Iowa before going to the NFL, and now his little brother followed in his footsteps and will be a major contributor this fall for the Iowa D-line. The Reiff family were Nebraska fans, by the way. (I'm friends with several members of the extended family.)

If the Nebraska staff recruited them but just couldn't get them, that's one thing, but when they aren't even recruited? I almost solely know the northwest quadrant of that 500-mile radius area, so I'll throw those out here:
  1. We start with Noah Fant because he's obvious.
  2. What about Andrew Van Ginkel from Rock Valley, Iowa? He went to USD then Iowa Western when the USD head coach retired, then JUCO transferred to Wisconsin. His athletic index numbers were/are awesome. If you don't know where Rock Valley, IA, is it's on the SD/IA border, roughly halfway between Larchwood, IA (home to Kyle Vanden Bosch, remember him?) and Sioux Falls, SD (home to Nate Gerry and the Farniok brothers, as well as Larry Jacobsen, if you're old school, like me). Iowa Western? That would be that JUCO that we didn't want to acknowledge until about a year+ ago.
  3. It's expecting a lot if we thought that they should find Trey Pipkins in Apple Valley, MN, since neither UofM nor any of the Minnesota D2 schools (or SDSU or NDSU or UND or USD) found him, so let's just list him in case you want to count someone else as a mulligan.
  4. But what about Easton Stick? He got drafted, and he had a great FCS career, but maybe that was due to NDSU's success, you say, but ... how did UNL do with identifying QBs at that time? If you want to get ornery, I'd point out that I think that Taryn Christion makes the better NFL prospect of the two, and he was not recruited by Nebraska in 2014, even though he was in the process of leading Sioux Falls Roosevelt to yet another state championship. Pshaw, you say? His OT went to Ohio State (more on that some other time) and eventually made his way back to SDSU, where he'll be a 5th year senior this fall, and where his size and athleticism will still make him an NFL prospect. (Also, not heavily recruited by UNL.)
I'm working on an idea of going back and further and digging in deeper into all of these nearby students that have been ignored for a couple of decades, but it's overwhelming (and a little depressing) when I start digging into it. I'm NOT saying that Nebraska could build a championship program by solely recruiting these areas; what I am saying is that by ignoring them for two decades, we've allowed NFL talent to consistently go elsewhere when we could have had it just by paying attention and putting in minimal effort to continue ongoing relationships with local coaching staffs. If you can get 10-12 kids every year from the places that I mentioned (again, I'm leaving out the urban areas outside of NE), you're halfway towards filling your class every year, and you can focus more closely on the bigger recruits without having to worry as much about rounding out the whole roster.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure, him and Oz were good enough to get drafted. But Oz didn’t do it consistently enough could be his reason. If I’m searching for a reason Stan didn’t get drafted, it could be for him falling on a sword for his teammate and getting a ticket despite never failing a drug test and teams looking at that as a negative rather than a positive. Feel like I’m reaching on that one tho.
It is a reach but it is the only thing I or my son could come up with as well. Nothing else makes sense.

Next "streak" to be broken? NU's run at Super Bowl participants ... we've been lucky recently but that streak may end real soon!

Perlman and Sean Eichorst should get the bulk of the blame. The “will he or won’t he fire Bo” at the end of 2013 idiocy poisoned the well for recruiting the 2014 class, then he hired a bunch of incompetent morons and placed restrictions on who they could recruit as the cherry on top.

If Mike Riley gets 100% credit for salvaging the streak in 2018 with a transfer QB he recruited, he also gets 100% the blame for ending the streak in 2019 for recruiting ZERO NFL-caliber talent in 2015-2017 classes and developing NONE of the talent on the roster during that time.

I think ESPN has suckered football lovers into thinking the draft is very predictive in determing which college players will make it in pro ball, and that the first round is more predictive than the second, etc., and that being drafted is more predictive than being undrafted. That lets them make a big deal ut of the draft and make a lot of advertising money. Fact appears to be recently that that is true for first round players, but less so for every round thereafter, and that there are more players that make opening day rosters who are undrafted than that make them if drafted in the second round, or the third round, or any other single round. Nearly one out of every five players on opening day rosters in the league will have been undrafted.

Now that statistic can also be misleading, because there are many players on rosters that don't play a lot. And there are many more undrafted players than drafted ones. But still, my guess is that more drafted players go to training camp than undrafted ones, so maybe it's not far off the mark.

https://www.catscratchreader.com/20...gents-play-more-often-than-you-probably-think

If Mike Riley gets 100% credit for salvaging the streak in 2018 with a transfer QB he recruited, he also gets 100% the blame for ending the streak in 2019 for recruiting ZERO NFL-caliber talent in 2015-2017 classes and developing NONE of the talent on the roster during that time.
It’s ALL about lack of development ... NUs recruiting classes have been consistently high enough under the MR and BP regimes that there should’ve been enough NFL caliber talent. This graduating senior class arrived in Lincoln during the BP/MR transition.

Perlman and Sean Eichorst should get the bulk of the blame. The “will he or won’t he fire Bo” at the end of 2013 idiocy poisoned the well for recruiting the 2014 class, then he hired a bunch of incompetent morons and placed restrictions on who they could recruit as the cherry on top.

Frost had 16 months to ‘develop’ Ozigbo and Stan.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back