• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker-Wisconsin film breakdown

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member
Some Wisconsin Game Breakdown!

Here is something I found on another board that I found most helpful and thought worth sharing. It's an analysis of the 5 minute period of Wiscy's 16-0 run to win the game; What went wrong; What went right; and What might have been.

Rather than an embarrassing loss demonstrating we're hopelessly out-classed, I think that we are a lot closer than many believe. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go on a little run of our own later in the season as we get all the players on-board and more experienced in playing together.

" A lot of ways to go with this one, but I decided to highlight the 16-0 run Wisconsin went on in 5 minutes to really win the game. Possession by possession breakdown and then full thoughts. Here we go...

33-32) Potter duck-in on Yvan after PNR (2 points)
33-34) Banton blows right by Wahl for a weakly contested layup. Miss. Yvan O-rebound, miss
33-34) Potter easy post touch and squares up Yvan. Thor doesn’t wall off Potter, Yvan falls for shot fake, and Potter steps thru for easy layup (2 points)
33-36) Good action gets Banton downhill with left hand. Banton is thinking weakside kick for 3, Thor is thinking back door cut. Thor has to back petal about 3 steps to catch and shoot a three. Miss. Open look
33-36) Top of key empty side pick and roll. Yvan plays back so Trice shoots elbow jumper. Miss. I assume McGowans was supposed to rear-view contest the shooter and he didn’t.
33-36) Not the greatest possession. After early pick and roll and hitting McGowans on backside shake, he stagnates the offense by just holding the ball. Ball swings to Banton and then to Allen in the corner for a contested 3. Miss
33-36) If you are going to load the paint to stop Potter you better be quick on closeouts. Banton is guarding player on opposite wing while siting in the middle of the paint. Doesn’t really move until his man has the ball. Lightly contested 3 that toilet-bowls its way in. (3 points)
33-39) Things start unraveling. Good action to get Allen downhill with his right hand, and good jump stop. Should have kicked it out, and also shouldn’t have been an offensive foul
33-39) Simple middle pick and roll with a replace here. Mayen is guarding Potter and is good initially, but loses focus and gets stuck on Potter’s backside on a good duck-in. Basket and foul (3 points)
33-42) While I don’t know all we are taught to do on offense, I can bet it isn’t to whiff on screens every time. A GOOD screen the screener action to get lakes a look but he hits no one so he doesn’t get open. A lot of cuts, a lot of slip pops, and ends with a late clock missed three from Banton off a slip-pop from Mayen.
33-42) Post feed to Potter and a double from Lat and Thor in our zone off the BLOB. The beauty of no crowd noise takes affect as you can clearly hear Wisconsin coaches tell Micah to “turn”, where he then proceeds to split the trap with a dribble and find a wide-open Davison for 3. Intensity on the trap left much to be desired. Potter cannot split like that so easily. (3 points)
33-45) Stagger action gets the ball to Webster. Pick and pop leads to missed high school 3.
33-45) Good closeouts and good rotation by Lat forces tough missed layup by Johnathan Davis.
33-45) Great push and great drive by Banton to get to middle of the lane. Kickout and WIDE OPEN air ball three from Webster
33-45) Mid post touch for Potter and literally the entire Nebraska team is within two steps of him. As soon as potter catches he turns and finds Anderson on the opposite wing who makes the “one more” pass to Davison at top of the key for uncontested made 3. Rotations were slow (3 points)
33-48) Good action and movement leads to wing PNR for Thor, who gets downhill with his left hand and draws a foul (1 point)

1. How much does the game change if Banton hits that easy layup to go back up 35-34 or if Thor hits that early three. We had quite a few good looks throughout the Wisconsin run and just couldn't take advantage.
2. When things got tough offensively, stagnation and poor execution were at fault. Doing the little things like being in the right spot or making a guy change his course on a screen are things we struggled at.
3. We moved too slowly defensively. All five guys have to play with their hair on fire if you trap the post, and they started getting way to many easy kick out threes in this run
4. Don't know if Allen's offensive foul really killed the team or his reaction, but we were only down six at the time. In the future I wonder if Coach Hoiberg will use an early timeout to quell any potential runs by an opposing team
5. Really probably should have been maybe a 44-40 Wisconsin lead after all this if we make the shots we should easily make (layups, open 3's). We are closer than people think and the film shows it, however these guys need a couple wins in a pretty bad way. Lets hope we get it tomorrow."
:Salute:
What Do You Think??? :nod:

Last edited:
That’s a good breakdown of a crucial stretch. The played great team defense for most of that first half. When shots weren’t falling during their big dry spell, they weren’t playing as hard as they needed to on the defensive end. Good teams know their run is coming if they get after it defensively when things aren’t going well offensively.

Yes, scoring when the opportunity presents itself and eliminating the opposition opportunities is the goal. Concentration is required at all times, When things get off track and chaotic, concentration can be lost. That's when a time-out can be useful to allow players to regain composure. It also can help the coach change the mix of players and insert a single play or scheme for the team to concentrate on. I have so much faith in HCFH that I wouldn't ever try to second guess him however. He's doing a remarkable job with a completely new mix of players.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back