• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker Football doing just FINE!!

And generally speaking, most couldn’t afford to pay athletes with what’s left over after all the bills are paid.
You are conflating Athletic Department revenue with NIL collectives. I’m sure the donors to NIL funnel some of that directly to the Athletic Department, but it’s a gross oversimplification to pretend they’re synonymous.

Furthermore, are donor proceeds even reflected on these reports? I think they’re telling us gates, conference funds, media deal money etc. Not sure charitable donations are ‘revenue’.

It’s true everywhere, although at Nebraska the basketball and volleyball teams are profitable too. They at least pay their own freight.
Except football, men basketball and v ball, all N sports will be folded, defunct, discontinued. (wishful thinking)

You are conflating Athletic Department revenue with NIL collectives. I’m sure the donors to NIL funnel some of that directly to the Athletic Department, but it’s a gross oversimplification to pretend they’re synonymous.

Furthermore, are donor proceeds even reflected on these reports? I think they’re telling us gates, conference funds, media deal money etc. Not sure charitable donations are ‘revenue’.
Nothing to do with NIL. Athletic dept revenue is what it is. With that revenue, it has to pay all the bills. Many are in the red before the bills get paid, so there isn’t money left to pay the players.

It really is a remarkable $$/win ratio.
Yep. We may have achieved a record or near record high in that ratio. It's not easy being that inefficient and sustaining it.

Hard not to have at least a little respect for it. It's kind of like being the best 3-9 team in history.

Last edited:

Unofficial and a long time ago. HOCKEY TIME BABY!
We had the Hartford Whalers for around 20 years and hockey is very popular in Connecticut. They moved the franchase to NC in 1997 with a lot of very unhappy fans around here. Unfortunately it didn't help that the Hartford Civic Center was one of the smallest arenas in the league with a capacity around 15,000. And the Whalers rarely drew that number except when they played the Bruins, Rangers and Islanders. They wanted and badly needed a new stadim but the owner of the Whalers wanted the sun and the moon from the state which said NO! What's really funny is you will still see a TON of BRAND NEW Whaler Jerseys around here showing how popular they still are/were with many fans. I did some security for the 19 years they played in Hartford and it was a lot of fun. Oh well time moves on.....

whalersjersey.jpg

We had the Hartford Whalers for around 20 years and hockey is very popular in Connecticut. They moved the franchase to NC in 1997 with a lot of very unhappy fans around here. Unfortunately it didn't help that the Hartford Civic Center was one of the smallest arenas in the league with a capacity around 15,000. And the Whalers rarely drew that number except when they played the Bruins, Rangers and Islanders. They wanted and badly needed a new stadim but the owner of the Whalers wanted the sun and the moon from the state which said NO! What's really funny is you will still see a TON of BRAND NEW Whaler Jerseys around here showing how popular they still are/were with many fans. I did some security for the 19 years they played in Hartford and it was a lot of fun. Oh well time moves on.....

View attachment 93391

I was born outside of Hartford and was a Whalers fan for a long time, but have lived in the Raleigh area for over 30 years. They are embracing the Whalers history, they even have Whalers night at the arena. It's arguably the best sports logo of all time, and of course they had the best song ever after a goal was scored.

View attachment 93391
"Breakfasts come and go Rene but Hartford, THE WHALE, they only beat Vancouver once maybe twice in a lifetime."

Last edited:

"Breakfasts come and go Rene but Hartford, THE WHALE, they only beat Vancouver once maybe twice in a lifetime."

Actually the W-L record between The Whale and VC was 19-20 which isn't bad considering! VC had 1 more win over about 20 years of competition. They had 10 ties. Nebraska should do so well against Wisky... :Lol:

Last edited:
I was born outside of Hartford and was a Whalers fan for a long time, but have lived in the Raleigh area for over 30 years. They are embracing the Whalers history, they even have Whalers night at the arena. It's arguably the best sports logo of all time, and of course they had the best song ever after a goal was scored.

Absolutely!

Sadly, the Whalers were the only thing that made Hartford come to life. Even if they didn't sell out every night, it made the city go in terms of getting folks to come to the city. Since their departure, Hartford is an afterthought in terms of places to go to in the region. In fact, most people avoid it all together. Younger generation goes right to West Hartford now.

Absolutely!

Sadly, the Whalers were the only thing that made Hartford come to life. Even if they didn't sell out every night, it made the city go in terms of getting folks to come to the city. Since their departure, Hartford is an afterthought in terms of places to go to in the region. In fact, most people avoid it all together. Younger generation goes right to West Hartford now.

It's been a long time since I've been to Hartford, but I just remember it being a ghost town after 5 o'clock. It was almost creepy.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back