• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Husker Dan great article.

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
I Did not see a thread on this. Husker Dan put a great article about Coach White on the front page.

I love the article but it reminds me of just how many people on this very board were really disappointed when he was first hired.

Here are a few samples of the original negativity. BTW not trying to bag on these posters. None of us knew anything at this time. Just struck me as funny that now he is one of the fan favorites.

I'm not sold on him & his 3-3-5 defense.

Hopefully he's not married to that 3-3-5.

Yes. Traditional 3-3-5 relies on speedy LB to stop the spread crossing routes. If we go traditional 3-3-5 it will look much worse than our 3-4 against B1G west. IMO

So we have this large amount of $$$ for assistant coaches and we are bringing in what mostly seem to be low level type of coaches. I think we've gone down this road several times before and the results weren't good. Maybe Rhule is a mistake. I guess we are fixing to find out.

Again Not trying to bag on these posters. Just did a search and these are the ones I found quickly. Many of us were hopeful but honestly none of us knew what to think at that time.

Most importantly, we had players step up and improve from 2022… to …2023, We had not seen near that improvement in that many players, year over year, that resulted in such a positive way.

Player improvements, training, scheme, coaching, it all contributed.

For the most part, very few teams run the 3-3-5, so most folks are usually skeptical about things their not familiar with. And with our recent history, its easy to see why.

Nice article indeed, now how do we keep him here for 2 more yr, to really imbed this def into the program.

While we know Coach White is an excellent DC this is a great article as it provides insight into who coach White is, his values and events that shaped his life. We are very fortunate to have coach White but need to prepare for him to leave after next season to accept a HC position.

While we know Coach White is an excellent DC this is a great article as it provides insight into who coach White is, his values and events that shaped his life. We are very fortunate to have coach White but need to prepare for him to leave after next season to accept a HC position.
I think it all depends on what jobs open up and more importantly what type of support that school provides. Given the current state of college FB it's a whole different game for coaches just starting out.

I love the article but it reminds me of just how many people on this very board were really disappointed when he was first hired.

Here are a few samples of the original negativity. BTW not trying to bag on these posters. None of us knew anything at this time. Just struck me as funny that now he is one of the fan favorites.

Again Not trying to bag on these posters. Just did a search and these are the ones I found quickly. Many of us were hopeful but honestly none of us knew what to think at that time.
I don't get your point. Everyone who expressed an opinion on a message board needs to pony up and admit they were wrong? Do we crucify everyone who thought Frost was the Second Coming?

You say you aren't bagging on posters but it appears otherwise when you actually call them out by name. With maybe one exception, I didn't get a sense that any of those named were "really disappointed."

I don't get your point. Everyone who expressed an opinion on a message board needs to pony up and admit they were wrong? Do we crucify everyone who thought Frost was the Second Coming?

To be fair, that actually started in year two.

You say you aren't bagging on posters but it appears otherwise when you actually call them out by name. With maybe one exception, I didn't get a sense that any of those named were "really disappointed."
Believe what you want. When you use the quote function it adds their names. It would not be hard to find quotes.where i was cometely wrong. Hell i was excited about Mike Riley. Feel free to find and quote me all day.

As I stated these were the first ones I found. O was pointing out how quickly the mood changes on the board.

Lastly I did not quote you. What kind of a savior complex do you have that you feel the need to defend them.

Lastly I did not quote you. What kind of a savior complex do you have that you feel the need to defend them.
I wasn't defending anyone in particular. You can believe what you want about that.

The notion that anyone can be quoted and have their opinion mischaracterized as negative because it cuts against current popular opinion contradicts your claim you weren't trying to bag anyone. You can believe what you want about that.

I wasn't defending anyone in particular. You can believe what you want about that.

The notion that anyone can be quoted and have their opinion mischaracterized as negative because it cuts against current popular opinion contradicts your claim you weren't trying to bag anyone. You can believe what you want about that.
Amazing, isn't it?

And the offseason shenanigans are underway!!

giphy.gif

How did I mischaracterize anyone. My post was literally about how quick fan bases change their mind. In my last response I even gave an example of how wrong I was on Riley.

Again the people I quoted was irrelevant. It was just a sampling.

I don’t think we can claim anyone the winner just yet… Tony Whites unit was far an away better than anyone could honestly image in year 1. I know I had a few reservations, just like anyone watching Nebraska football the past decade and is honest with themself. But the performance, from the moment he got on board and started filling the roster with portal/recruits, and then got contributions from unknowns, down the roster guys, returning veterans on their 4th? Head coach to buy in. Amazing!! Obviously the repeater clause will be on high alert to continue and maintain. Would not be the first time a coach wasn’t able to maintain momentum, but we have to feel good about we’re we are at defensively.

I Did not see a thread on this. Husker Dan put a great article about Coach White on the front page.

I was honestly sold on him from the get go because I had followed what he built at Syracuse. They were BOTTOM feeders before White took over as their DC. Watched his defense shut down Wisky's running attack in a bowl game. White won’t be around much longer as he’ll get his shot at a decent program for head coach. I’m just glad we got him back for this season....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back