• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Hughes gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is responsible for some game management things, and he also helps recruit and identify talent. Gets some names back to Vaughn and McShane. He has many more duties than just STC. We are getting in to "what are said duties worth" and that's all opinion. All i'm saying is that we had a guy coaching special teams in 2014 for not even six figures and got some pretty good results, and BR isn't this monster on the recruiting trail for another 350k.

But again, we are splitting hairs for what that's worth and to whom. I'll take another Trent Bray for half the salary and get the same results on special teams, same screw ups with the clock management in 2015, and do better on the recruiting trail. All opinion obviously, and I don't want to fire BR. But he's overpaid currently for his results.

I think the LB and DPE situation along with the general issues with a transition year should be taken into account when evaluating him after year one. I agree with much of what you are saying but in the context of the things I noted I am not willing to make the statement that he is overpaid. I am sure if some coworkers new my salary they would say I am overpaid since they don't see much of what I do.

C

Last edited:

LOL - I knew someone was going to miss the point and try to say "Texas Tech wasn't even as good as us in special teams, why are we comparing" as if the point was to switch coaches or get the results they had.

Because I think you are failing to grasp the reason I brought up Texas Tech doing more than us on special teams and their coach parlaying it into a promotion and pay raise...

It goes to show that simply "doing more" doesn't always equate to better results. Maybe "doing more" helped at TT, maybe it didn't. I don't really know, enough about TT's situation. Were they banged up? Were they missing key ST players? What was changed and how did it help? Perhaps the ST unit WAS improved by Coach Chiaverini changing things up. I can't claim to know, but their ST unit would have had to have been REALLY bad before to make that claim, IMO. He got a nice job at Colorado, but Colorado is a dumpster fire.

Read has been coordinating special teams for years, including doing it multiple times in the NFL. If Riley gives him the benefit of the doubt, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as well, noting what he had to work with here in his first season (an embarrassingly thin group of LBs, no DPE for most of the year, Foltz being injured, no more Ameer and Kenny Bell, etc). And no, I'm not saying you're wanting to fire the guy, as I haven't seen anything like that come from you.

As I mentioned earlier, the unit I was most upset with was the kickoff return squad. The Stevenson experiment was a disaster (I wonder how much say Read had in that). However, things did greatly improve once Morgan Jr. got back there.

The other unit people use to criticize Read is punting. Punt return defense is a useless stat, IMO. In league play, we were 2nd in the B1G in NET punting, finishing behind only Ohio State. That isn't too bad.

Last edited:
I think the LB and DPE situation along with the general issues with a transition year should be taken into account when evaluating him after year one. I agree with much of what you are saying but in the context of the things I noted I am not willing to make the statement that he is overpaid. I am sure if some coworkers new my salary they would say I am overpaid since they don't see much of what I do.

C

Don't get me wrong, we didn't have DPE and we were short-handed. Doesn't mean you have to stay generic with it is all I was saying. In a year where this staff was struggling to keep kids excited to go on the practice and game field, you can do some pretty cool things to get guys involved like Antonio Reed or Tyrin Ferguson to spark a team or get them excited. And for 450k the least you could do is be somewhat innovative in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, we didn't have DPE and we were short-handed. Doesn't mean you have to stay generic with it is all I was saying. In a year where this staff was struggling to keep kids excited to go on the practice and game field, you can do some pretty cool things to get guys involved like Antonio Reed or Tyrin Ferguson to spark a team or get them excited. And for 450k the least you could do is be somewhat innovative in my opinion.

Good point!

C

It goes to show that simply "doing more" doesn't always equate to better results. Maybe "doing more" helped at TT, maybe it didn't. I don't really know, enough about TT's situation. Were they banged up? Were they missing key ST players? What was changed and how did it help? Perhaps the ST unit WAS improved by Coach Chiaverini changing things up. I can't claim to know, but their ST unit would have had to have been REALLY bad before to make that claim, IMO. He got a nice job at Colorado, but Colorado is a dumpster fire.

Read has been coordinating special teams for years, including doing it multiple times in the NFL. If Riley gives him the benefit of the doubt, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as well, noting what he had to work with here in his first season (an embarrassingly thin group of LBs, no DPE for most of the year, Foltz being injured, no more Ameer and Kenny Bell, etc). And no, I'm not saying you're wanting to fire the guy, as I haven't seen anything like that come from you.

As I mentioned earlier, the unit I was most upset with was the kickoff return squad. The Stevenson experiment was a disaster (I wonder how much say Read had in that). However, things did greatly improve once Morgan Jr. got back there.

The other unit people use to criticize Read is punting. Punt return defense is a useless stat, IMO. In league play, we were 2nd in the B1G in NET punting, finishing behind only Ohio State. That isn't too bad.

I am 99% certain Read wanted nothing to do with Stevenson back returning kicks, I don't place that on him. The Texas Tech thing was just an example of a coach finding a way to get kids excited and involved like I stated in my previous post. It's not a strike against BR at all, it just would have been nice for me to see some wrinkles or things that weren't generic when we had some pretty good playmakers on the field still.

He's fine, and doesn't need to be canned at all. I'm just saying that 450k is overpaid in my book when I compare him to what our other assistants do on the field and off, and what results we had before him for a quarter of the price.

I say we bring back the GLOBE OF DEATH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back