• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How will lack of money affect spring sports?

Husker7000

Biology Graduate School Alumnus
5 Year Member
If we get a vaccine this winter and get people inoculated, will we be able to afford spring sports with no football revenue?

Do either Basketball or Baseball have positive cash flow?

If either do and they play, will this cause Title IX violations if women's sports cannot play?

Does women's volleyball have positive cash flow? If so, could they play in Spring to help with Title IX issues?

Yes basketball does - No baseball does not.

Which men's winter/spring sport would play that wouldn't couldn't have a corresponding woman's sport play?

If baseball plays - yes softball can
If men's bball plays - yes women's
If T&F play ... of course

There is no big bad football.

I suspect if basketball can play ... or at least some semblance of the NCAA Tourney (March Madness) then everyone would be happy.

Women's volleyball collectively does not have positive cash flow ... Nebraska's program does but nor the sport in total.

If we get a vaccine this winter and get people inoculated, will we be able to afford spring sports with no football revenue?

Do either Basketball or Baseball have positive cash flow?

If either do and they play, will this cause Title IX violations if women's sports cannot play?

Does women's volleyball have positive cash flow? If so, could they play in Spring to help with Title IX issues?
the cash crunch won't likely be felt that quickly...they may cut a few sports/people preemptively but there won't be a "there's no money" situation in the spring.

Last edited:
Gas Can sums it up pretty well:

sounds like serious exaggeration on the home game #.

According to Nebraska’s 2019 financial year report, NU brought in a total of $35 million of revenue in seven home games in 2018, all of which were sold out. With its relatively minimal expenses, that’s $32 million of net income from home football games that helps fuel NU’s athletic budget.

More like $4.5M/game.

Local sports broadcast said in interview with Moos the loss in revenue of no fall sports is "north of $100M". Will Moos be looking in to which winter/spring sports will compete as none of the "minor" sports produces a positive cash flow. Eliminate travel expenses, etc. for the minor sports through June 2020 and the loss could be reduced slightly.

Last edited:
Nebraska has shown that they make money, I can't imagine they won't be able to fund their athletic department even if it has to 'borrow' money for a couple of years until things straighten out. Doesn't mean they won't have to trim some fat, but I think things will be fine in the long run.

After further reflection, I think the PAC 12 has shown the way.

If we get a safe and effective vaccine and all players and support personnel are inoculated, we could safely play Spring sports.

Then, the Big 12 could borrow a bunch of money and loan $2-$5 million to each school for Spring sports, to be deducted from the$50 million 2021 Football check each school gets.

GBR and Go Vaccine!

If we get a safe and effective vaccine and all players and support personnel are inoculated, we could safely play Spring sports.
How are we going to get a safe and effective vaccine in time for the winter/spring sports?
How do we know its going to be effective?
There simply is no empirical data to support such a presumption.

What is the effective rate?
Will it be like the flu shot?
What about variants of the virus itself?

This whole wait for the vaccine is just so farcical.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back