• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How to get back to greatness

True, but I thinks it's more nuanced than that. I think teams in rebuild mode suffer far more than those in reload form. Upper echelon teams probably won't miss a beat. Those with new HC's and overhauled O/D schemes likely will be more challenged. Just a guess on my part.
All depends on how the HC and his staff monitor and guide their players through this crisis. Those who plan, and keep a watchful eye on the progress of the players, will keep their programs moving forward. Hope Frost is in that camp.

Last edited:

It was fun to watch Greco-Roman wrestling, can't remember the last time I did, maybe some Olympics. Too bad Nash won't wrestle in college, but unless the NCAA changes the rules, he's on his way to a solid 300+.

Watched the replay of this game, yesterday. Why did we ever get away from this offensive/defensive scheme? IMO, if Frost wants to right the ship, he needs to be strapped into a chair and forced to watch this game. Dan Alexander was an absolute beast, as were the offensive/defensive line play.

2000 Dec 30 Alamo Bowl - Nebraska (66) vs Northwestern (17)

What really stuck out to me watching this game was D.Alexander's all business attitude the entire game. Big run - hand the ball to the ref. Touchdown - hand the ball to the ref. All night long - AWESOME!

True, but I thinks it's more nuanced than that. I think teams in rebuild mode suffer far more than those in reload form. Upper echelon teams probably won't miss a beat. Those with new HC's and overhauled O/D schemes likely will be more challenged. Just a guess on my part.
Very true sir and valid point :thumbsup:

Even Osborne changed his systems over time. We had a more passing oriented system once upon a time and then moved to more run and more option later. Defensively we wan a 3-4 (5-2) and then to a 4-3 where we moved Safeties down to play LB.

Osborne did things that made it look like he was moving toward a system that may have looked a bit like what Frost likes to do.

That said, we need to pick up some of what Osborne used to do.

- Physical interior running. This is just as important to Frost as it was to Osborne. If we can't run inside we can't run the offense correctly. Corollary here, shut down interior running of opponents. Bottom line, we need to be more physical and more tough than we've been

- Passing - Osborne spread the field pretty effectively and particularly used play action to keep the safeties as honest as possible (despite hammering teams inside). Frost needs to be able to pass even more effectively as he has the wide splits and usually no FB or TE help on the line. If Frost is seeing 7-8 or 9 in the box, the offense isn't doing it right. Osborne could get around that by playing gaps more effectively, but Frost can't afford to not pass if the D has that many in the box.

- S&C. I doubt we ever get to the point that we can be as far ahead as we were with Eppley back under Osborne, but we have to at least keep pace. I have hopes, but it's been years since we were even average here.

- Player development and continuity. Osborne had long term views of developing players within relatively stable systems. We've changed defensive systems, for instance, every year or 2 for a long time. Stability will help

- Leverage the one advantage we have that nobody else really has. Walk-ons. Osborne had positions where walk-ons could excel. Combined with S&C and player development he got additional scholarships for free.

Problem we have is that we have a target rich environment of things to fix. I'm hopeful Frost is going to figure it out, though
This is a great post. You've hit on pretty much everything. The good news is that it's all doable, but the bad news is that we're not there--or close to there--yet, and it'll take a few years to be able to say we have key foundational necessities such as being stable and consistent.

I'm still optimistic. My chief concern is that the fans still don't understand where we were, and how far away it was from where we need to be. Based on his own words, I don't think Frost did until he was already back in Lincoln.

My chief concern is that the fans still don't understand where we were, and how far away it was from where we need to be. Based on his own words, I don't think Frost did until he was already back in Lincoln.

:thumbsup:
I think this is so true. Of course he is not going to say that out loud. I think he is trusting the fans to be patient. I for one will remain optimistic and patient with the coaches and the boys.

This is a great post. You've hit on pretty much everything. The good news is that it's all doable, but the bad news is that we're not there--or close to there--yet, and it'll take a few years to be able to say we have key foundational necessities such as being stable and consistent.

I'm still optimistic. My chief concern is that the fans still don't understand where we were, and how far away it was from where we need to be. Based on his own words, I don't think Frost did until he was already back in Lincoln.

No, most fans don't understand.

1-10, 3-9, 7-5 that was Kirk Ferentz first 3 years at Iowa and then they broke threw with a 10-2 season. His first season was 21 years ago in 1999. Iowa has been running that same basic offense and defense for that 21 years.

1-10, 5-6, 5-6 that was Barry Alvarez first 3 years at Wisconsin Then he broke threw with a 10-1-1 record. His first season was in 1990. That's 30 years ago and Wisconsin has been running the same basic offense and style of defense for that 30 years.

2-8-1, 4-7, 1-10, 7-5, 6-6, 7-4, 8-4, 11-1 That is Bill McCartney's record at Colorado his first 8 years there. It took him 8 years till he got to his break out season. I am no Billy Mac fan, I think he is a hypocrite, but he really built something at CU because people were patient.

Too many Nebraska fans still think that this team is just trying a little harder or having the right culture away from being 10-2 every year. I think we are a little farther away than that. It is going to be a build. I think they can win 8 even 9 games next year with a little luck. I am expecting 7-5 and will not be disappointed at 6-6. Just keep getting better. That is what we want to see.

You sure love to put people down. I'd love for you to get in the wring with the "Fat kid". He'd break your spine. Why do you always have to be such and jerk?

You just can not stop personal attacking people even when David has spoken to you about it. You know better yet you do it anyway.

Thread ban and Formal Warning

I will let @BigRedMax decide where it goes from there

In the future if you have an issue with him take it to PMs or contact David or me

RR

1-10, 3-9, 7-5 that was Kirk Ferentz first 3 years at Iowa and then they broke threw with a 10-2 season. His first season was 21 years ago in 1999. Iowa has been running that same basic offense and defense for that 21 years.

1-10, 5-6, 5-6 that was Barry Alvarez first 3 years at Wisconsin Then he broke threw with a 10-1-1 record. His first season was in 1990. That's 30 years ago and Wisconsin has been running the same basic offense and style of defense for that 30 years.

2-8-1, 4-7, 1-10, 7-5, 6-6, 7-4, 8-4, 11-1 That is Bill McCartney's record at Colorado his first 8 years there. It took him 8 years till he got to his break out season. I am no Billy Mac fan, I think he is a hypocrite, but he really built something at CU because people were patient.

Too many Nebraska fans still think that this team is just trying a little harder or having the right culture away from being 10-2 every year. I think we are a little farther away than that. It is going to be a build. I think they can win 8 even 9 games next year with a little luck. I am expecting 7-5 and will not be disappointed at 6-6. Just keep getting better. That is what we want to see.
Bill Snyder could have been on that list too ...

Nearly every incident of rebuilding involves stories very similar to these. I would also suggest that nearly every program winning at the highest of levels built to that through consistency in the plan and time to improve.

While we build to this, then we can enjoy some of the really great players helping us get there and support the growth.

None of those programs had the fan support Nebraska has. Not even close, especially when they were losing. We have the support and the facilities and the everything else in place. The climb will be fun!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back