• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How much would it cost to put a dome on Haymarket Park?

Knothole Bob

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
Just out of curiosity.

If the Big Ten had climate-controlled stadiums, they would be able to compete with anyone and use the facilities for many more things than they currently do.

Is it worth the cost? That's why I asked.

The present state of affairs with the early baseball season is pretty lame, if you ask me.

Can't the baseball team work out in the winter in the enclosed football facility?

Interesting thought but unfortunately retractable roofs are very expensive. You'd want retractale so you could enjoy the outdoors when the weather is good. Doubt a team in the north could gain the fan support to warrant the cost.

Interesting thought but unfortunately retractable roofs are very expensive. You'd want retractale so you could enjoy the outdoors when the weather is good. Doubt a team in the north could gain the fan support to warrant the cost.

I'm afraid the dome would cost more than the stadium cost originally. Also, the city of Lincoln is co-owner, I beleive, or does either the city or NU own it, and the other leases?
In any event, the city probably has no reason to want to dome it since their pro team doesn't start until April or later?

Where is Warren Buffett when we need him?

Last edited:

Cost-benefit would never justify it. Even if the Big 10 became the premier baseball conference in the country there's not enough money in baseball to justify the millions that would be spent.

For many years (until very recently), the Minnesota Gophers played baseball in the Metrodome. Didn't help them much -- if at all.

Why get excited about Big Ten baseball at all when we know the season is too early for us and way too early for a lot of other Big Ten teams? We discussed this a long time ago on the old Big 12 Baseball board and everyone seemed to agree that the only way to generate interest and fairness was to start at least a month later and play into the summer. Other than that ,IMO the NCAA really isn't serious and the northern teams should just drop the sport and concentrate on something else.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back