• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How much will spring practice help?

Depends on how the team practices and what they're taught. Didn't seem to help much over the last several years.
That's my point...we lost nearly an entire year of practices between not having bowl practices in 2019, losing 2020 spring practice last year, and an abbreviated fall camp (I think it was abbreviated). Spring practice will be our first "training camp" in a long time, and I think/hope it will make a big difference in correcting the situations where we were one block/one penalty away from a big, positive, play.

Yes but it's going to all different this spring because... err.. well..... hummm... well because! :nod:
Because we have more rbs who have played, more wrs who have played, more D players who have played, QBs with experience at the upper classman level, more TEs who have played, a young and promising O line.

Other than that, yep, same

Because we have more rbs who have played, more wrs who have played, more D players who have played, QBs with experience at the upper classman level, more TEs who have played, a young and promising O line.

Other than that, yep, same
/
Not sure I agree with your analysis. We actually lost our most experienced RB and WR! Perhaps the transfers from USC and Montana will fill those voids but that remains to be seen imo. We have another year for 2 QB's neither of which performed at the level needed imo to start winning a lot of games. Defense is improved and should be solid. TE's should/might do well but again nothing concrete.

Bottom line the offense has a long ways to improve if we're going to start being a real player in our division. Perhaps that will happen and I certainly hope that's true.

NE RB 2020.jpg

NE WR 2020.jpg

Last edited:
Huge for this team. They need to come together and they need to have a winning season. I think that’s clear. To get there, they need reps, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They need guys to have a chance to win jobs and develop timing, especially at skill positions.

Especially huge if they can get through it and then have a long break, and then come back to campus in the summer and its somewhat more “normal” going into fall camp.

/
Not sure I agree with your analysis. We actually lost our most experienced RB and WR! Perhaps the transfers from USC and Montana will fill those voids but that remains to be seen imo. We have another year for 2 QB's neither of which performed at the level needed imo to start winning a lot of games. Defense is improved and should be solid. TE's should/might do well but again nothing concrete.

Bottom line the offense has a long ways to improve if we're going to start being a real player in our division. Perhaps that will happen and I certainly hope that's true.

View attachment 58749

View attachment 58750
They are experienced.
If a 5 star transferred here, its the same amount of experience. How good they are, yes, we will have to find out, but Toure is likely our best wr with the most experience, plus you dont break Randy Moss records easily.
As for slot,yes,we lost Wandale, but,did we do better with JD and Stan or JD and Wandale? And JD hadmore experience with Wandale.
The angle I'm arguing from about qbs has nothing to do with passing records,like AM has, its surrounding talent plus experience plus talent.
Look at the TE numbers
Vokolek caught more passes than Sioll did, Allen was killer, plus Vokolek caught more passes than Allen from the year before, add in Fidone, solid.
We have more rbs with experience, not just carries, but numbers of guys, not carries.

Now, get those rbs some spring ball, get Fidone up to speed, those wrs up to speed and and Toure and Stepp into the playbook, its looking good.

Huge for this team. They need to come together and they need to have a winning season. I think that’s clear. To get there, they need reps, especially on the offensive side of the ball. They need guys to have a chance to win jobs and develop timing, especially at skill positions.

Especially huge if they can get through it and then have a long break, and then come back to campus in the summer and its somewhat more “normal” going into fall camp.
Assuming we get some good QB play this is a chance for Frost to get the program on track in 2021. Lots of things need to happen with a lot of work ahead for this team. I do believe with a solid D team has a chance to beat some teams we will be heavy underdogs to. Got to learn how to take care of ball and stop shooting themselve in the foot with stupid penalties. It can happen and I do have some hope for the coming season.

Assuming we get some good QB play this is a chance for Frost to get the program on track in 2021. Lots of things need to happen with a lot of work ahead for this team. I do believe with a solid D team has a chance to beat some teams we will be heavy underdogs to. Got to learn how to take care of ball and stop shooting themselve in the foot with stupid penalties. It can happen and I do have some hope for the coming season.

i look at the schedule, and sure there are at least 4 likely losses you can pencil in, a couple of “should wins”, and mostly a lot of tossups where we are probably going to be a slight ‘dog and need to win several one-score games.

having a salty defense is going to be a recipe to win more of those tossup games if we can get tangible improvement in the other two phases.

They are experienced.
If a 5 star transferred here, its the same amount of experience. How good they are, yes, we will have to find out, but Toure is likely our best wr with the most experience, plus you dont break Randy Moss records easily.
As for slot,yes,we lost Wandale, but,did we do better with JD and Stan or JD and Wandale? And JD hadmore experience with Wandale.
The angle I'm arguing from about qbs has nothing to do with passing records,like AM has, its surrounding talent plus experience plus talent.
Look at the TE numbers
Vokolek caught more passes than Sioll did, Allen was killer, plus Vokolek caught more passes than Allen from the year before, add in Fidone, solid.
We have more rbs with experience, not just carries, but numbers of guys, not carries.

Now, get those rbs some spring ball, get Fidone up to speed, those wrs up to speed and and Toure and Stepp into the playbook, its looking good.
I would argue we did do a lot better with that first year with JD and Stan. Our average points scored has gone down the past 3 years which is troublesome imo. Will Toure' be a difference maker? TBD but I agree there is some good reasons for optimism!

I would argue we did do a lot better with that first year with JD and Stan. Our average points scored has gone down the past 3 years which is troublesome imo. Will Toure' be a difference maker? TBD but I agree there is some good reasons for optimism!
It plays into not having the deeper threat, which, was it Stan leaving, or AM regressing/
Much to show

In 2 years, we have lost four 4-star offensive players, who all played at a 4 star level, Mo Washington, when healthy, spielman, stanley morgan, now wandale.... that hurts, thats gonna take a toll. Just keep building. The covid reset, will give us a decent defense for next year, although we have a brutal schedule, and zero offensive threats could force the defense to play 20 more plays per game than usual,

If the offense can just increase by 50 yards per game, and 6 points, that alone prob gives us 6-7 wins

It surely can't hurt. Not going bowling the past 4 years :)oops:) has cost us approximately 60 practices gove or take (bowl game date dependent). That's al lot of extra reps. I'd really like Frost and Co to really coach on the field in the spring. Run the play/exercise and stop and make immediate corrections on the spot. Don't complete rep after rep and then "correct in the film room". It might have worked at UCF, but here, not so much. Then in the fall, maybe speed things up once the team has build muscle memory in the "right way" to execute.

Experience has got to help. At least on the defensive side. Not a lot on the OL, receiver or RB.......So, IMHO, we might have some positions on O that are in the crawl stage of the crawl, walk, run mantra....Take the spring to get a SOLID foundation. Build in the fall from there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back