• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How Minnesota Will Beat Us.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3570
  • Start date
Sounds like it's gonna be tough to pass. They have solid running backs but so do we. Need Mills to have a coming out party. I like Vedral here because he takes what the defense gives him. I also think he's more responsible with the ball. If we avoid more than one turnover, NU can do it. Not gonna be easy, but we're due for a complete game. GBR

Last edited:

IMO, I don't think we get blown out and I dont think they are the second best team in the west. Iowa and Wisconsin are a cut above the rest right now.

One thing you said that I found peculiar was your comment that Minnesota should not attack our edges. If I'm game planning, and I have the ENORMOUS offensive line Minny has, I'm attacking the edges ALL day long. We don't have a player (maybe with the exception of Nelson) who could even attempt to set the edge against this team.

As for your fears about this game, I do agree, it's a scary one. But it is even scarier to me because of the unknown (i.e., health of JD, AM, where Mo's head at, etc). In the end, the weather will be the great equalizer for us. I can see this being another nailbiter.
Your last paragraph is the only thing that I agree with. Minnesota has had no success running this year. Middle edge or any other. Despite their huge line. We have three 300 pound + starting linemen. That except for OSU has done a good job shutting down running games.

Wow, I should go slit my wrists right now and not even plan on watching this game according to some of you guys.

Lets be realistic here for a minute. When you looked at Minnesota's schedule this year many "experts" thought they would probably be 5-0 at this point in the year. Guess what, they are 5-0. Nebraska was probably going to be 5-1, there not, but for a bad quarter against Colorado. My question is if we flipped schedules do you think Nebraska would be 5-0 right now? I think they probably are and Minnesota is no better than 5-1 with our schedule. Will see how they fare against NW. Heck I think Colorado would be 5-0 against Minnesota's schedule.

Minnesota is not some ground and pound team as Pops thinks they are. They have had 1 good rushing game this year against Illinois at 319 rushing yards. Nebraska had 346 against Illinois. But Nebraska beat Illinois only by 4 points and Minnesota won by 23. Yep, and Nebraska gave up 3 TO that gave them 21 points. Illinois starting QB left the game in the middle of the 2nd quarter when the game was 10-7 Minnesota. Nebraska also had 200 more total yards against Illinois.

I am not saying Minnesota is terrible, they are a very solid team. They have earned that 5-0 record. But, some of you guys act like they are 1 step below OSU in toughness.

Nebraska might lose, but penciling this game into it as a sure loss is just crazy.

Your last paragraph is the only thing that I agree with. Minnesota has had no success running this year. Middle edge or any other. Despite their huge line. We have three 300 pound + starting linemen. That except for OSU has done a good job shutting down running games.
You may be right, but NW (very similar stats compared to Minny on the ground) managed 157 yards on the ground with absolutely NO THREAT of a passing game and they did it by attacking our edges. Now, throw in the threat of the passing game (which Minnesota does very well), and now things get interesting. There is no doubt Minny will set up the run with the passing game, and they will need the run game in a game affected by the weather.

Last edited:
Wow, I should go slit my wrists right now and not even plan on watching this game according to some of you guys.

Lets be realistic here for a minute. When you looked at Minnesota's schedule this year many "experts" thought they would probably be 5-0 at this point in the year. Guess what, they are 5-0. Nebraska was probably going to be 5-1, there not, but for a bad quarter against Colorado. My question is if we flipped schedules do you think Nebraska would be 5-0 right now? I think they probably are and Minnesota is no better than 5-1 with our schedule. Will see how they fare against NW. Heck I think Colorado would be 5-0 against Minnesota's schedule.

Minnesota is not some ground and pound team as Pops thinks they are. They have had 1 good rushing game this year against Illinois at 319 rushing yards. Nebraska had 346 against Illinois. But Nebraska beat Illinois only by 4 points and Minnesota won by 23. Yep, and Nebraska gave up 3 TO that gave them 21 points. Illinois starting QB left the game in the middle of the 2nd quarter when the game was 10-7 Minnesota. Nebraska also had 200 more total yards against Illinois.

I am not saying Minnesota is terrible, they are a very solid team. They have earned that 5-0 record. But, some of you guys act like they are 1 step below OSU in toughness.

Nebraska might lose, but penciling this game into it as a sure loss is just crazy.
EXAAACTLY!!!! They are a decent team. No better no worse. I think we win but there are a lot of variables.

I didn't delve to deep into Minnie, but seeing the teams they played, and the amount of points they have given up, I believe we have a more than fair share to win this game on the road and even in bad weather conditions. If we have one or zero turnovers the way we did against NW and Vedral(assuming he gets the nod) has a decent game, I see our Huskers pulling off the upset on the road. It may be another grind it out game, but I honestly think we get the W. GBR!!!
I think I read that the cumulative wins for the 3 teams we beat is 4.

Last edited:

You may be right, but NW (very similar stats compared to Minny on the ground) managed 157 yards on the ground with absolutely NO THREAT of a passing game and they did it by attacking our edges. Now, throw in the threat of the passing game (which Minnesota does very well), and now things get interesting. There is no doubt Minny will set up the run with the passing game, and they will need the run game in a game effected by the weather.
Yes NWU did run on the edge a little. You do realize that one of our leading tackler was suspended for the game. Last year he had no problems with the 400# OL. Even got him so frustrated the guy swung on him if I recall.

You heard it here 1st.

During our bye week there will be multiple threads regarding our new QB controversy at Good ol' Nebraska U.

NV will play a solid game and we win by 14...then the screams of starting Noah will begin...

Hows that for Kool-Aid?

Amazing that you live in the state and know so little. Minny has less than 3 yds per rush (2.63) While NE has 4.69 yds per rush. Minnesota this year is doing it through the air. They are 40 in passing and over 100 ranked in rushing.
I live in Texas and i was going by state sheet you posted and just ave yards per play NU 6.33 yards per play Mn 5.77 yards per play

good lord

Yes NWU did run on the edge a little. You do realize that one of our leading tackler was suspended for the game. Last year he had no problems with the 400# OL. Even got him so frustrated the guy swung on him if I recall.
Listen, I'm not the one crapping my pants about Minnesota. I do think it's a close game and a scary one for us, especially if we turn the ball over. But last year is last year. I'm simply stating Minnesota will be a tough opponent to defend and they WILL exploit our weaknesses. I didn't think it was extreme to think this was going to be close game for us, especially considering the circumstance. Sorry I'm not predicting a resounding victory. Geesh.

and p.s. Khalil had one tackle in the game last year, while Luke Gifford (9 tackles) was the only person capable of setting the edge and putting pressure on the QB (Stille with one sack) on our entire defense. Sorry, that is my biggest concern this week. If Minny is balanced, we are in for a tough game. Here's hoping Chins schemes this one up.

Last edited:
I think if we win it will be an upset. I think we can win if we have no turnovers, low number of penalties, and we get some turnovers. If we can't do those three things, then MU, with home filed advantage, wins this one.

I'm not following, are you talking Iowa or Minnesota?
Sorry, I kind of went off on a tangent about Iowa there... My point was Minnesota hasn't played anyone decent, much like Iowa. When Iowa finally faced a good defense their offense imploded and they didn't live up to the hype. I'm hoping the same happens for Minny this weekend as I think our defense will easily be the toughest they've faced.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back