• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How Many...

MHKHusker

Crying Jordan Face Lil' Red
5 Year Member
Guys on our current roster would start on a Tom Osborne-led team?? I think maybe only one, and that's Garrett Nelson, anyone else??

No way to know for sure, largely because Osborne was light years better at player development. Meaning players on the current roster would play better than they do today. That's not really a knock against Frost, hardly anyone could get more from less than TO did.

There are a few that come to mind. Reimer because he is a tackling machine. Vokolek would because he can block and is deceptively athletic, would run that option seam route well. Nelson I agree with. Ty Robinson is another.
True Vokolek would be perfect on those option passes straight up the seam or a skinny post

If you put the current team in a time portal and had them step out of the locker room in 1995 and competing for PT against the 95 squad, I'd say the majority of the people playing on Saturdays would be the modern guys. On average the modern guys would be bigger, stronger, and faster than their 1995 counterparts due to increases in weight training and nutrition. Add in gains guys would have made by beginning weight and skill training earlier in their lives, they'd have a distinct advantage. Yes, Jared Tomich was a stud, but he came from a small town in Indiana. It's very possible he didn't play organized football until 7th grade and didn't have formal spring/summer practice until he was at DONU. Comparatively, Ochaun Mathis likely had at least 1000 more hours of weight/practice/drill training at a similar stage in his career. Comparing to the competition of the time Tomich is better. Comparing them in absolute terms, Mathis is.

Last edited:

If you put the current team in a time portal and had them step out of the locker room in 1995 and competing for PT against the 95 squad, I'd say the majority of the people playing on Saturdays would be the modern guys. On average the modern guys would be bigger, stronger, and faster than their 1995 counterparts due to increases in weight training and nutrition. Add in gains guys would have made by beginning weight and skill training earlier in their lives, they'd have a distinct advantage. Yes, Jared Tomich was a stud, but he came from a small town in Indiana. It's very possible he didn't play organized football until 7th grade and didn't have formal spring/summer practice until he was at DONU. Comparatively, Ochaun Mathis likely had at least 1000 more hours of weight/practice/drill training at a similar stage in his career. Comparing to the competition of the time Tomich is better. Comparing them in absolute terms, Mathis is.
I agree completely but if we look at guys like Garrett Nelson, he's a smalltown Nebraska kid just like a lot of those 95 guys in the trenches. I do agree that talent nowadays is far and away better nowadays, I was just curious with the current state of the players without any coaching from TO or his staff just magically appeared on his roster the summer before

No way to know for sure, largely because Osborne was light years better at player development. Meaning players on the current roster would play better than they do today. That's not really a knock against Frost, hardly anyone could get more from less than TO did.
This

The athletic talent on the current team is good/very good.

Do you believe Osborne could win a national title with this current roster?
I believe the 2-deep talent is as good as some of his teams … probably not his NC teams which had unbelievable depth. I also think this team has poor depth … an injury or two at a key position could be devastating.

If TO had been the coach for the last couple of years with his development program then I would be more confident.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back