• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How many wins would meet your expectations

What is the minimum number of wins that would make you feel they met expectations this year?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Definitely...but, 7 wins is a lousy expectation for this team and this coach. Regardless of the actual results, barring catastrophe, this coach and team will have incredible support moving forward. But, to expect so little this year is a sad commentary to me...the bar is set lower than it has been since 1961.

In a vacuum . . . yes. A Scott Frost-coached NU team should be expected to win 7+ games.

A first-year-Frost-coached NU team, which had possibly the worst defense in the country last year, starting a new FR QB in a brand new system, with depth, talent and experience issues at key positions, coming off a lousy season, and playing one of (if not THE) hardest schedule in the country on paper? I think you have to consider, reasonably, that this is a rebuilding year and the wins may not be there. That doesn't mean that the team can't be significantly improved by the end of the season with 7 wins or less.

To me, ignoring all that is setting onesself up for heartburn. I expect to see a far better overall team this year. I expect the team to improve in multiple facets and to improve as the year goes on and at least give the toughest teams a good scare for a change. Maybe we win more than I think we will? Like I've said . . . I'd be thrilled. I just think the hill to climb is particularly steep in year 1 and it may be a rougher ride that some think.

That doesn't mean my expectations for NU as a whole are low or that I am not all-in on Frost or whatever. I am 110% in and I think he'll be a great hire and the team will grow quickly. I just think going into the season expecting 7-8-9 wins this year is projecting a vision of what NU SHOULD be (and I agree that it should be--soon) too early than is probably likely.

Lots of variables but I will play along. I will say that Troy and Akron will not be the cakewalks many expect. Weirdly enough, I think we put a whupping on sCUm. I will also say the Northwestern game will not be an easy game either. Minny appears to be in transition and I hope our kids remember that debacle last year and put it on em. And if you look hard at Sparty's schedule last year you will see they won many close games. Remember we lost all those close games in Riley's first year and then won many in year 2. I say Sparty loses more than expected and I expect we will be up for the challenge there. So, I could see 8 or even 9 wins this year. As long as they return to sound, fundamental football I would even take 6 wins with an upset over Wisco/Sparty/Mich.

On a sidenote I normally agree with Zatechka but if he said that I am not buying it. There is talent there and I am sure Frost will motivate and coach and develop the rest.

Eight or nine wins, I am all in.

2 years ago we had a simple schedule. Had they played this schedule it would have been 5 wins instead of 9. It's rediculouse to use two years ago comparisons and avoid last year's.

It is just as ridiculous to use last year's comparisons and avoid two years ago. One of those years was an anomaly and it wasn't 2016. Outside of adding MSU and UM this year I don't see much difference. If MR could beat minny, NW(in Evenston), and Purdue then SF can.

C

Last edited:
In a vacuum . . . yes. A Scott Frost-coached NU team should be expected to win 7+ games.

A first-year-Frost-coached NU team, which had possibly the worst defense in the country last year, starting a new FR QB in a brand new system, with depth, talent and experience issues at key positions, coming off a lousy season, and playing one of (if not THE) hardest schedule in the country on paper? I think you have to consider, reasonably, that this is a rebuilding year and the wins may not be there. That doesn't mean that the team can't be significantly improved by the end of the season with 7 wins or less.

To me, ignoring all that is setting onesself up for heartburn. I expect to see a far better overall team this year. I expect the team to improve in multiple facets and to improve as the year goes on and at least give the toughest teams a good scare for a change. Maybe we win more than I think we will? Like I've said . . . I'd be thrilled. I just think the hill to climb is particularly steep in year 1 and it may be a rougher ride that some think.

That doesn't mean my expectations for NU as a whole are low or that I am not all-in on Frost or whatever. I am 110% in and I think he'll be a great hire and the team will grow quickly. I just think going into the season expecting 7-8-9 wins this year is projecting a vision of what NU SHOULD be (and I agree that it should be--soon) too early than is probably likely.
Look, if we are the toughest team on the field every week, I won't care at all how many actual wins we have. But, to pay $5 million for the unbeaten Coach of the Year and expect only 7 or fewer wins is simply an insult to the team and the efforts of the staff.

I do not know why but this especially the paragraph starting with A first reminded me of this.

Look, if we are the toughest team on the field every week, I won't care at all how many actual wins we have. But, to pay $5 million for the unbeaten Coach of the Year and expect only 7 or fewer wins is simply an insult to the team and the efforts of the staff.

So which is it, then? You either don't care about the number of wins based on improvement and toughness . . . or winning anything less than 7 games is an insult to the team and staff.

So which is it, then? You either don't care about the number of wins based on improvement and toughness . . . or winning anything less than 7 games is an insult to the team and staff.
Hmmm, you didn't seem to read the post you replied to, it is very clear, but you totally missed everything.

First, there is a big difference between caring and expecting. My not caring about the number of wins is conditional on them playing tough. My expectations of the number of wins is based on a lot of other factors including the assumption that our new coach and his staff are outstanding, can instill team unity, restore S&C, have successfully flipped the roster by eliminating dead weight and bringing in more talent. I expect a lot from them and believe they are delivering. This is unlike you, a person who expects little. When you buy the one of best products, don't you expect it to be better than a similar poor product? We bought a Cadillac in SF, but you think he'll perform like a Yugo.

Second, it is an incredible lie to leap to anything I said meaning that winning anything less than 7 games was an insult to the staff. What IS an insult to the staff is fans who profess SF's greatness and being totally on board with everything he is doing, having the lowest expectations for the program in 57 years. IMO, you and others are insulting the staff and the team with your low expectations of their abilities.

Last edited:
Hmmm, you didn't seem to read the post you replied to, it is very clear, but you totally missed everything.

First, there is a big difference between caring and expecting. My not caring about the number of wins is conditional on them playing tough. My expectations of the number of wins is based on a lot of other factors including the assumption that our new coach and his staff are outstanding, can instill team unity, restore S&C, have successfully flipped the roster by eliminating dead weight and bringing in more talent. I expect a lot from them and believe they are delivering. This is unlike you, a person who expects little. When you buy the one of best products, don't you expect it to be better than a similar poor product? We bought a Cadillac in SF, but you think he'll perform like a Yugo.

Second, it is an incredible lie to leap to anything I said meaning that winning anything less than 7 games was an insult to the staff. What IS an insult to the staff is fans who profess SF's greatness and being totally on board with everything he is doing, having the lowest expectations for the program in 57 years. IMO, you and others are insulting the staff and the team with your low expectations of their abilities.

You're not following or understanding what I have been saying at all.

Last edited:

You're not following or understanding what I have been saying at all.
LOL. I know exactly what you are saying...THAT there are lots of excuses for SF to do poorly, and you believe those excuses will win the day. I'm saying the exact opposite, I think SF will prevail over the excuses being made for him right out of the box. I think expectations for SF should be high and don't understand those who aren't optimistic right now.

LOL. I know exactly what you are saying...THAT there are lots of excuses for SF to do poorly, and you believe those excuses will win the day. I'm saying the exact opposite, I think SF will prevail over the excuses being made for him right out of the box. I think expectations for SF should be high and don't understand those who aren't optimistic right now.

Oh Lord, that's the kiss of death right there. :)

I'm optimistic about SF, his coaches and the team. That doesn't mean I expect them to win 9-10 games next year. For me it really has to do with the schedule. If he gets 8 wins with that schedule he should be B1G coach of the year. I see seven wins right now and it is all due to the schedule. Give them the 2019 schedule and I think 9 wins would be doable. I don't think those are excuses either. I think that is being realistic.

If they win 9-10 games next year I will be extremely happy, but I will also be very surprised.

You seem to want to play games between your "expectations" going in and then what you would actually "care" about in the end. You want to feel better about expecting Frost to overcome all the multiple hurdles particular to year 1 here . . . but if the team plays tough and hard and falls short in terms of actual wins, then you won't really "care". You'll just have been a better fan for expecting more to begin with, or something like that.

I'm not sure how I can be more clear on Frost and the staff. I think he's the right guy and will turn the ship around . . . and do it pretty fast. I AM optimistic and I think we'll be a far better team this year and will improve greatly by the end of the year. The win total, IMHO, MAY not be as high given all those headwinds and the schedule for this particular year. I'm just saying that I'm not reading much into the win total and am looking for improvement in a large number of areas. If we win more games then that's fantastic. It has nothing to do with my overall expectations for the staff or what NU football's long term performance and expectations should be.

Last edited:
Maybe if you knock on wood you can change it.

Just saying man, the track record isn't strong....

I think it's hard to predict what will happen in 2018 because we don't know how far from scratch this staff had to go, and how far along the team will be by the season opener. But starting in 2019, I firmly believe thats when it's go time.

GET TICKETS

Back