• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How many more recruits should we take?

dallasblackshirt

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
HCSF and team have done a great job building a talented 2019 recruiting class so far. But as we near the last signing date, how many more recruits should we take.

There have been some good articles that highlight that we could only take up to 4 more first time qualifiers in this class.

The consequence is if we take the max of 4 recruits is that in the 2020 recruiting cycle we have only 16 seniors and let's assume possibly two transfers. That would leave us with 18 for 2020.

It's my humble opinion that we should not take more than two additional recruits excluding graduate transfers this cycle so we can have 20 scholarships to offer during 2020 when I believe we can build an even better class because the program's momentum and excitement for it is going to higher not just regionally but nationally. I expect that 50-60% or more next years class will be 4 star recruits with half of them being rated in the top 150 players.

So it's my wish that any remaining scholarships only be given to a player that the coaches project not only as a possible starter but a difference maker. If we can find four of them great if only one then only take one.

We have a huge class plus 20+ walk-ons . HCSF already has a team of mostly "his" recruits. We should have a strong litmus test for any remaining scholarships offered.

HCSF and team have done a great job building a talented 2019 recruiting class so far. But as we near the last signing date, how many more recruits should we take.

There have been some good articles that highlight that we could only take up to 4 more first time qualifiers in this class.

The consequence is if we take the max of 4 recruits is that in the 2020 recruiting cycle we have only 16 seniors and let's assume possibly two transfers. That would leave us with 18 for 2020.

It's my humble opinion that we should not take more than two additional recruits excluding graduate transfers this cycle so we can have 20 scholarships to offer during 2020 when I believe we can build an even better class because the program's momentum and excitement for it is going to higher not just regionally but nationally. I expect that 50-60% or more next years class will be 4 star recruits with half of them being rated in the top 150 players.

So it's my wish that any remaining scholarships only be given to a player that the coaches project not only as a possible starter but a difference maker. If we can find four of them great if only one then only take one.

We have a huge class plus 20+ walk-ons . HCSF already has a team of mostly "his" recruits. We should have a strong litmus test for any remaining scholarships offered.
I would agree but I believe they take 3 and possibly 4 if they get the right recruit. Attrition is always going to be a factor but this is going to be a very competitive roster for years to come.

OP makes good points, but at the same time, if we get four more can't miss guys that are highly rated, I'm not sure we do better next year. In fact one or more of them may help make thew difference on how good we lok to the next class of recruits.

Interesting. I don’t disagree with your take. But I wonder how much attrition there will be. If 5 guys leave then you could take 5 more guys in the 2020 cycle. And so on.

I think we absolutely need a NG in this class. We only have one true NG in the fold that will be here in 2020, which makes Pola-Mao almost a must have. It's a little different at OLB. We have reasonable numbers at OLB, just not established difference makers. If Dixon and Tannor step up, maybe it's a less pressing need but our anemic pass rush suggests we can't pass up someone who could help there. I think you absolutely take Parker if he wants in. Do we take Jordan if we miss on Parker? I think that depends entirely on how the coaches evaluate him against what they think they can find in 2020 and whether they see a safety or two in the 2019 class developing in to a good OLB. Njoku gives us the big bodied WR we lack. I think you take him if he wants in. If not, that's a spot I would hold open for next year or a grad transfer. The one that I wrestle with is Bivens. It sounds like he is a real talent and Mills is the only other guy we have that is a bigger back. Again, I think it comes down to what is on the board for 2020 and if the coaches feel like he is as good or better than we could do at the position next year. It seems like a lot of RBs but there isn't much returning at the RB position beyond Washington (and maybe Bradley), so stocking the cupboard isn't a bad idea.

I agree on taking Palo-Mao. We have to have the run stuffer. I would say Parker and Jordan if both are available or hopefully at least one. Bivens as a running back is good but with Mills and the other guys we have, how big a need? I am wondering if Jaylin Bradley will step up like Ziggy last year. The big wide receiver is not a huge need. Maybe an area where we get a walkon to step up here.

If we were looking at taking a few 2* receivers from Edna Karr High School (or other similar reaches), then I would agree with holding back a few scholarships. As others have stated in this thread, you don't turn away 4* / high 3* guys at positions of need.

I think we'll still be able to offer close to 25 scholarships for the 2020 class. So if we're not reaching, then let's fill up the 2019 class.

Difficult to speculate how many of the remaining spots you fill. It depends on if the staff thinks they can get a grad transfer at a position of need. I guarantee they've been in talks with guys in the transfer portal. If they can get an interior offensive lineman that would come in and start, you probably hold a scholarship for them. If you can bring a guy in who is in the top 3 on your depth chart at corner or safety, if not starting, then you probably hold one for them. Is there a WR who could come in and be your #2, 3 or 4 guy? Maybe you hold one for that.

Personally, my philosophy would be to fill all four spots with a high school kid. Frost has time. Fans will give him another couple years before they would even think about griping. I'd take kids you'll have for 4-5 years in your program. Guys you can develop. Especially when your talking about passing on a four-star kid.

No way do you hold back on signing a kid with the thought of giving a scholarship to a walk-on. That's just terrible roster management. Nebraska will probably have 5-6 kids move on after spring. That's when you decide whether or not to put a walk-on on scholarship. When those situations pop up, which they absolutely will every year. Not filling your class is a huge mistake.

Last edited:
If we fill the remaining spots with 4* kids we are already at the 50% range you speak of. And there will be attrition, there always is. I say take them while you can. You would hate look back and say wow, we had a chance and blew it!

Personally, my philosophy would be to fill all four spots with a high school kid. Frost has time. Fans will give him another couple years before they would even think about griping. I'd take kids you'll have for 4-5 years in your program. Guys you can develop. Especially when your talking about passing on a four-star kid.

I may have seen you say this before, but it still strikes me as odd. At this point in time we probably aren’t getting a look at the top of our list in the way of recruits. Obviously there is still some talent, but most likely not with the certainty we’d see prior to the December signing. If we have some doubts in some, and the Juco with similar skills is also available, why not go Juco and rely on your continued improved recruiting and season results to go after some stud guys over the next few years? 2-3 years of scholarship commitment seem to be easier to work through than 4-5 years.

Just a thought.

I may have seen you say this before, but it still strikes me as odd. At this point in time we probably aren’t getting a look at the top of our list in the way of recruits. Obviously there is still some talent, but most likely not with the certainty we’d see prior to the December signing. If we have some doubts in some, and the Juco with similar skills is also available, why not go Juco and rely on your continued improved recruiting and season results to go after some stud guys over the next few years? 2-3 years of scholarship commitment seem to be easier to work through than 4-5 years.

Just a thought.

I don’t think that the new early signing period means you can’t still be in on some of your top guys in January. There’s still top tier talent on the board at this point in time and always will be at this point in time.

Last edited:

it will be interesting to see how they prioritize the positions and i think we will know as it play out based on who they take and turn away (if they get Parker do they still go after a 2nd OLB or is another CB or RB more important?)

LB
WR
CB
NT
RB

i think it also comes down to where they think some of the other recruits may fit and how long it will take to develop (IE could Piper be their NT this year thus placing that position lower than others on their priority list or how comfortable do they feel with the DB's they have that 1 or 2 would be great as a CB and not just S or nickel)

I wonder also if how they feel about 2020 prospects they are in on plays a part especially at positions that it maybe doesn't take as long to get the system down and play-

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back