• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How is Larry Jacobson not already in the CFHOF?

AnnArborHusker

Lurker since the very early Pedia days...
10 Year Member
I saw on the front page that Eric Crouch, Larry Jacobson and Zach Wiegert are on the latest College Football Hall of Fame ballot. It never occurred to me that Larry Jacobson was not already there (I suppose I should d a little research to see who actually is).

That guy was a road grader and a very large human being even for today, let alone almost 50 years ago. Who else here is a long-timer that remembers him well?

I saw on the front page that Eric Crouch, Larry Jacobson and Zach Wiegert are on the latest College Football Hall of Fame ballot. It never occurred to me that Larry Jacobson was not already there (I suppose I should d a little research to see who actually is).

That guy was a road grader and a very large human being even for today, let alone almost 50 years ago. Who else here is a long-timer that remembers him well?

I remember him, but ‘well’ might be an exaggeration. I didn’t understand the game well enough back then to appreciate a lot of the physicality and domination of those teams.

He stuffed the run as well as anybody I've seen since, but I am a little biased I suppose.

I worked with Jake several years back and he could kick anyone's ass and is a great guy.

Because people are stupid.

He was the 1971 Outland Trophy winner and a force for the Blackshirts. I especially enjoy hearing the last offensive play for Oklahoma in 1971 where Larry runs down Jack Mildren, recovers a batted down pass and Lyle Bremser calls out "he just won the Outland Trophy 7 times over!" That play is approximately 5:12 into the attached video.

I had the pleasure of meeting Larry a couple of times at Husker evens. Classy individual all the way.

Last edited:

I remember that distinctly. Larry .......... Sioux Falls O'Gorman Catholic HS. High school star; not football but basketball. Center position. Damn good. I believe state champs.

My wife was O'Gorman grad. Myself, SF Washington HS alumni. Bitter rivalry. My wife and me, freshman class ..... Larry, senior.

He was the 1971 Outland Trophy winner and a force for the Blackshirts. I especially enjoy hearing the last offensive play for Oklahoma in 1971 where Larry runs down Jack Mildren, recovers a batted down pass and Lyle Bremser calls out "he just won the Outland Trophy 7 times over!" That play is approximately 5:12 into the attached video.

I had the pleasure of meeting Larry a couple of times at Husker evens. Classy individual all the way.

I know this is preaching to the choir, but listening to that even for just a few seconds reminded me, could there even be a better announcer than Lyell Bremser? And not just for the famous quotes or the big play calls, but for all of it. Description, energy, pace, excitement, colorful language- all of it just right. He doesn't fight the action, he complements it.

For sure there were others as good for other teams but I can't see how any could be better. He's perfect.

And yeah, Jacobson is due.

Thanks for posting that little 5 minute gem @Twelve String. Not sure which I'd enjoy more, my first 5 minutes in Heaven (if I make it that far) or watching this clip again.

Last edited:
I know this is preaching to the choir, but listening to that even for just a few seconds reminded me, could there even be a better announcer than Lyell Bremser? And not just for the famous quotes or the big play calls, but for all of it. Description, energy, pace, excitement, colorful language- all of it just right. He doesn't fight the action, he complements it.

For sure there were others as good for other teams but I can't see how any could be better. He's perfect.

And yeah, Jacobson is due.

Thanks for posting that little 5 minute gem @Twelve String. Not sure which I'd enjoy more, my first 5 minutes in Heaven (if I make it that far) or watching this clip again.

I miss the radio broadcasts. Love the visual, but I do miss them.

Ohhhh........I've figured it out.

Moos is the reason Jacobsen isn't in the CFHOF.

I'm not sure why we hadn't figured that out already. I mean, duh.

I honestly thought he was in a long time ago. You are right about him being a road grater.Outstanding player.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back