• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How did you become a Husker Fan?

Stuck in the South

Red Shirt
2 Year Member
It's not football persee, but after reading from many, and many aren't living in the state of Nebraska? How is it you became a Husker Fan?
Me, was born there and one of earliest photos is of me barely walking but wearing a red sweater with a big white N. So I guess my parents and grandparents especially "brainwashed indoctrinated" me into early childhood Husker love-this in early/mid 60's.

Dad (An Air Force fan) was stationed at Offutt from late '69 through the summer of 1972. I was just a kid and my first recollection of college football the '71 Oklahoma/Nebraska game. If it was on TV prior to that, I didn't notice or pay attention. I remember my dad being excited about the game because of the implications and the chatter on base, so when he turned the old black and white on and sat down in his recliner to watch, I planted myself on the coach next to him.

Looking back it was a blessing and a curse to have your 'first' exposure to college football be maybe 'the best', but from that day on I was hooked. We moved to Colorado the fall of '72 with most of the family as 'instant' Husker fans and those that are alive still follow to this day. My kids and my nephews and nieces born to my older sisters (all born in Colorado) are Husker fans as well.

I'm always interested in how other 'travelers' associate with either their lifelong team or the local teams in the areas they move to. Some are like I am and carry my Scarlet & Cream with me wherever I go. Others are like flags blowing in the wind and just change their allegiance with their location. I'll go to local sporting events (if I have the time) mostly because I love sports, not because of any association with the teams. No matter where I've lived since that fall day in '71, I've been a Husker. Colorado, Alabama, Texas, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Virginia, the only thing that changed was how hard it was to find Husker football on the radio. That's not even a worry anymore, so it's that much easier.

My dad and family are from Omaha. I didn’t grow up in Omaha but we later moved here. I was indoctrinated by my family. They would all get together on Saturdays and watch the games. All three of my uncles, my dad, grandpa, and me. I never really thought about when I first became a fan. I really didn’t start watching religiosity until around 1990 when I was ten.

Born in Hastings, parents lived in Holdrege. Basically my entire family was in the Holdrege area, mostly farmers etc. Part of the family migrated to Manhattan, KS in the late 70's.

We used to throw Husker GameDay parties almost every weekend, and a big party for the OU game. I can still remember/visualize people yelling at the T.V. It was pretty easy to root for them and it was the only team acknowledged.
GBR!

I became a Nebraska because of my grandfather. My grandparents used to live in Hastings. He only saw one Husker game in person and I am happy to say I was there with him. After he died, I was able to get the Husker flag that he flew on his house on game days. Ever since receiving that flag, I fly it on my house every Saturday during the football season.

Born in Hastings, parents lived in Holdrege. Basically my entire family was in the Holdrege area, mostly farmers etc. Part of the family migrated to Manhattan, KS in the late 70's.

We used to throw Husker GameDay parties almost every weekend, and a big party for the OU game. I can still remember/visualize people yelling at the T.V. It was pretty easy to root for them and it was the only team acknowledged.
GBR!
I used to love going to Manhattan for a game. Husker flags flying on barges in the river. Trains of Husker cars with flags, people honking and waving at each other. It was an amazing experience. Went in 94 when LP was our only weapon and BB was hurt. The water boy from Wahoo just handed it off. We where getting pelted with snowballs by KSU fans. I miss those days.

I'm a Husker fan that has no ties to the state. I was born in 1977 and remember staying up to watch the '83 game vs Miami. From that time forward I was hooked. Growing up in the '80s there obviously weren't as many games available on TV, but growing up in Cincinnati I could still get to watch the Huskers 3-4 times a year. I graduated in '95 so my high school and college years were obviously an awesome time to be a fan. Going to Miami University (Miami OH) I never had to cope with my Alma Matter competing for my fandom as it was easy to still cheer for both.

GBR!
Went to Longfellow school..Assume it is still there.

I'm always interested in how other 'travelers' associate with either their lifelong team or the local teams in the areas they move to
Moved to Iowa as a teen, and most of my friends were husker fans. No one in our school even cared about the Hawks and a few paid attention to Ames when Johnny Majors took over. Missed some husker games while in Germany, tried watching the 78 OU game as I was invited to a friends on base house to "watch the game" He didn't tell me that he didn't have cable, so saw a snowy b/w screen but heard the audio of Sims' fumble. Even in Florida, I just can't embrace any of the teams down here and remain a Huskerite (although maybe backslid a little bit post Frank era).

Born & raised 15 minutes east of Notre Dame. Nebraska was frequently playing bowl games on my birthday (Jan 1st) & more times than not (born in 1984) they were getting beat but I loved the offense & Tom Osborne so I started following them as my favorite team. I was never really a fan of the Domers to begin with & now I've got my 2 oldest kids brain washed & will with my youngest if he ever gets out of the NICU. He will be in there 8 weeks as of tomorrow.

I graduated from Arizona State in December, 1975 and before heading out for my first big-boy job, I attended the Fiesta Bowl. We were told to wear Gold instead of Maroon because of all of the Nebraska fans that would be there - I couldn't imagine there would be that many who would make the trip.

When we got to the stadium an hour before kickoff, half the stands were already filled with Husker Red! Even though ASU won the game 17-14, I came away very impressed with Nebraska and especially the fans.

Since I was already tired of ASU and all of its violations, Nebraska became my team. I got the chance to move to Lincoln from 2002 - 2009 and will be a fan for life!

I was born in the old Lincoln General Hospital in 1966. Lived in Lincoln until I was approximately three years old and then ended up on the East Coast due to a job change with my father. Was in Jersey for the game of the century and remember the buzz in our house. Moved around a bit to Missouri and Minnesota. Was just south of Minneapolis in 1983 when the scoring explosion came to town. Unfortunately the night before the game I made the sound decision to drink for the first time-Jack Daniels was my training wheels. Was still sick the next day and my ticket went to another family member. In 1984 after my parents divorce my mom and brothers moved back to Nebraska and ended up going to the U in 1985. There were some great games and some bitter disappointments during my time there but I would never do it any differently. After graduation get a job in Omaha but was promoted and took a position in Knoxville in 1993. It was a good move but I missed the real fun years while I was in Tennessee. I did get to travel to the orange bowl and watch my huskers dismantle Peyton Manning and the Vols it was sweet coming back to Knoxville after that game. I moved to Nashville in 2001 and it’s been kind of a downward slide since. Had hopes of more ball busting on the Vols in my hometown during the Music City Bowl but we couldn’t close the deal.

Dad moved us from upstate NY to Lincoln in '70 . . . he got a job at UNL and was also getting his PhD. So we got plopped right in the middle of Bobfather Huskermania and dad got seats through the university somehow to catch some games. Hooked right away. Just gets into your blood when you are right there in the middle of the action.

Also had a good friend in school whose dad had connections with the athletic dept and there were always football players hanging out at his house for dinner and stuff.

Moved to Denver in 81, but kept the Huskers with me.

Last edited:

My mother had a business and every Saturday in the 60s I would listen to Lyle Bremser, with my mother. The town would shut down at 1 and my mother would get so excited. She would dress up in red and I always remember he smile and her love for the huskers. I was hooked from then on.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back