• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How bad is this loss to Illinois?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around ranking these bad losses. Most need more post season reflection to really determine how it ranks, and there is context and criteria that need to be defined. In my simple mind, that great '83 team losing to Miami in the OB was worse than yesterday. Yesterday to me was just another loss for a underperforming, perplexingly coached football team. What did Nebraska lose yesterday? A grip on third to last place in the conference?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around ranking these bad losses. Most need more post season reflection to really determine how it ranks, and there is context and criteria that need to be defined. In my simple mind, that great '83 team losing to Miami in the OB was worse than yesterday. Yesterday to me was just another loss for a underperforming, perplexingly coached football team. What did Nebraska lose yesterday? A grip on third to last place in the conference?

For me, it's more how the loss affects the program than the game/season. Yes, losing to Miami in '83 was a disappointment. The team underperformed. That happened. But it wasn't the last straw that broke the camel's back.

IMO, yesterday's loss opened the door to legitimate concerns regarding Frost's coaching acumen and his tenure at NU. It's not that we lost a game we should have won; it's more that it's not surprising that we did.

For me, it's more how the loss affects the program than the game/season. Yes, losing to Miami in '83 was a disappointment. The team underperformed. That happened. But it wasn't the last straw that broke the camel's back.

IMO, yesterday's loss opened the door to legitimate concerns regarding Frost's coaching acumen and his tenure at NU. It's not that we lost a game we should have won; it's more that it's not surprising that we did.

I can truly see what you're saying, but for me those doors to legitimate concerns about SF were already wide open. And because I am not surprised by the loss.... well... it's just another loss, not really any worse than losing at home to Troy, for example. In other words, a this point in futility ... a loss is loss is a loss....

Last edited:
Not even close against weaker and weak Illini team. At home.

More pouring salt in an open wound.

I'm tired "Next Season"

There were 2 such games in 1996. ASU and Texas
In 1992 NU was a 29 point favorite over ISU
Thanks for helping me remember those games

Yeah, I definitely should have remembered the 92 ISU one, as that was Osborne's only loss to a team with a losing record.

ASU is 96 ended up being a great team, but no one knew that when we played them.

This. Osborne didn't get fired two years after that loss. Frost might.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back