• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How bad is this loss to Illinois?

Callahan had Okie State, Pelini had several inexplicable blowouts, Riley had Northern Illinois. This loss was close in terms of impact, IMO.

It's a good think cutouts can't get up and walk out.

I DVR'd and started 2 hours late. Early in the 2nd quarter I advanced to live. I ain't got time for this crap. I'll probably just make other plans for Saturdays now and watch later if there seems to be a reason to. Not necessarily just for a win, but if I think there might be some kind of progress.

Went to watch my 9 year old grandson play a basketball game. Really not missing football, at this point.

Callahan had Okie State, Pelini had several inexplicable blowouts, Riley had Northern Illinois. This loss was close in terms of impact, IMO.

It's a good think cutouts can't get up and walk out.
Callahan's loss to Oklahoma St was even remotely comparable, IMO. OSU had broken out of the cellar under Les Miles, and Mike Gundy was building them into a year-in, year-out competitor. We just didn't know it at the time.

We also played for a Big XII title under Callahan in his 3rd year.

What we have now is a 0.300 coach that isn't remotely close to achieving the level of success of Callahan, Pelini, or Riley.

I don’t think people realize how close this team was to being 0-7 this season. If they don’t play a TON better there is no way they beat Iowa, Purdue or Minnesota. And they easily could have lost to Penn State.
Remarkable, really.

That reminds me, on Big Red Wrap Up, 93% thought we'd win out. Wonder what the poll question will be this week. :mad:

I don’t think people realize how close this team was to being 0-7 this season. If they don’t play a TON better there is no way they beat Iowa, Purdue or Minnesota. And they easily could have lost to Penn State.
Remarkable, really.

My last response was supposed to be to THIS quote. Don't even know where the other came from.

If we continue in this direction & at the end of the 2021 season, Frost is let go, this is the loss that people will point to as the beginning of the end

Callahan's loss to Oklahoma St was even remotely comparable, IMO. OSU had broken out of the cellar under Les Miles, and Mike Gundy was building them into a year-in, year-out competitor. We just didn't know it at the time.

We also played for a Big XII title under Callahan in his 3rd year.

What we have now is a 0.300 coach that isn't remotely close to achieving the level of success of Callahan, Pelini, or Riley.

I have to respectfully disagree. In 2007, NU was 4-2 going into that game, OSU was 3-3 and finished the year at 7-6. It was Homecoming. The game was obviously over by halftime (0-38) and people were leaving the stadium. I don't think that had been witnessed before by anyone living at the time. OSU gained over 550 total yards and was their first win in Lincoln since 1960. It was a watershed moment in Callahans career as HC and sealed his fate. Huskers went 1-5 after that game.

Watching the recording right now and one thing sticks out. Our guys are a lot smaller. We have a some big guys but not enough. We seem to have a lot of little guys and they're getting pushed around. I don't know if it's because they are so young or what.

I'm not going by player stats, just the eyeball test and it's a mismatch. It's pretty sad when Illinois makes you look small.

This was a terminal loss. Scott Fraud is done. It might take a couple more seasons before he “coaches” his last game here, but his failure is inevitable and his firing is a matter of time.

It’s hard to succeed when you don’t have the support of the fan-base and the community. But it’s hard to keep the community’s support when you consistently suck.

Last edited:
That reminds me, on Big Red Wrap Up, 93% thought we'd win out. Wonder what the poll question will be this week. :mad:
1 8Ar5-s-uF2bcw3_hDXFzDQ.jpeg

Maybe the Husker bigwigs and coaches should lobby KW and big10 officials to really heed the CDC and not play football until spring(looks like the Huskers have already followed those guidelines)
Is there vaccine for putrid?

I have to respectfully disagree. In 2007, NU was 4-2 going into that game, OSU was 3-3 and finished the year at 7-6. It was Homecoming. The game was obviously over by halftime (0-38) and people were leaving the stadium. I don't think that had been witnessed before by anyone living at the time. OSU gained over 550 total yards and was their first win in Lincoln since 1960. It was a watershed moment in Callahans career as HC and sealed his fate. Huskers went 1-5 after that game.

It is a reasonable comparison.

It could still be debated our loss to Illinois was worse. The line, which opened NU -14.5 closed on Saturday at -16.5. I would be surprised if we ever lost a game when we were favored by that many points.

Nebraska was favored by 3.5 over Okie State in 2007. And yes, that first half was one of the worst ever in Nebraska history. But Okie State wasn't that bad. Mike Gundy was coach, and obviously he's proven himself (unlike Lovie Smith). Okie State did win 7 games that season, as you mentioned -- and some of their losses were respectable. They lost by 3 to a Texas team that finished in the top 10. They lost by 1 at A&M. And they did win a bowl game that season.

Regardless, it was among the worst losses -- both 2020 Illinois and 2007 Okie State. But you know what happened 48 hours after that loss in 2007? Steve Pederson was fired that following Monday. That was truly the beginning of the end -- so we most certainly acted on that loss in 2007 (and most certainly won't in 2020).

It is a reasonable comparison.

It could still be debated our loss to Illinois was worse. The line, which opened NU -14.5 closed on Saturday at -16.5. I would be surprised if we ever lost a game when we were favored by that many points.

Nebraska was favored by 3.5 over Okie State in 2007. And yes, that first half was one of the worst ever in Nebraska history. But Okie State wasn't that bad. Mike Gundy was coach, and obviously he's proven himself (unlike Lovie Smith). Okie State did win 7 games that season, as you mentioned -- and some of their losses were respectable. They lost by 3 to a Texas team that finished in the top 10. They lost by 1 at A&M. And they did win a bowl game that season.

Regardless, it was among the worst losses -- both 2020 Illinois and 2007 Okie State. But you know what happened 48 hours after that loss in 2007? Steve Pederson was fired that following Monday. That was truly the beginning of the end -- so we most certainly acted on that loss in 2007 (and most certainly won't in 2020).

There were 2 such games in 1996. ASU and Texas
In 1992 NU was a 29 point favorite over ISU
Thanks for helping me remember those games

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back