• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

How about those USC Trojans!!!

I hope it's the beginning of many years of USC being a bottom dweller in the Pac12 but I doubt it.

I cannot figure out why they kept Helton. Does Urban not want that gig?
More like U$C leadership does not want the Urb.....
Sources indicated USC president Carol Folt informed Bohn he would not be able to hire Urban Meyer as the next football coach. That is considered a dealbreaker for Bohn, according to sources.

Several athletic directors turned the job down because they were told Meyer was not an option, sources said. Bohn apparently was not informed until after he agreed to take the job.

Last edited:

I cannot figure out why they kept Helton. Does Urban not want that gig?

From another thread on Helton I posted what I thought the reason for not wanting to change coaches, aside from the baggage that Urb would bring with him, if you just look at it from USC's angle: 8-4 top 25 team, youth all over the 2 deep and a twenty million dollar buyout, I think he stays.

Now the above comment was from November before signing day, I don't remember where their class came in but I don't think it was very good. If USC's qb can stay healthy next year and they have a good season, their offensive cooridnator is good, Clay might even buy himself another year. Of course this is purely a guess because I have no inside info.

Meyer is obviously a HOF coach but he's now retired from two Blue Blood programs and almost called it quits a year earlier than he did at Florida, if memory serves me correctly. He hasn't gotten any younger since then. I'm sure many administrators view him as almost guaranteed near term success but not a long term solution.

Urb’s ego is HUGE. I cannot fathom him being content as a commentator. But I really don’t see him in the NFL either. He is good but he is no Pete Carroll.

Saw that last night and was quite surprised, personally I think it is a conspiracy to get rid of the coach.

There's no conspiracy. The guy is terrible. If anything, there's a conspiracy at the university to KEEP the loser because they'll do anything to avoid a scandal right now.

From another thread on Helton I posted what I thought the reason for not wanting to change coaches, aside from the baggage that Urb would bring with him, if you just look at it from USC's angle: 8-4 top 25 team, youth all over the 2 deep and a twenty million dollar buyout, I think he stays.

Now the above comment was from November before signing day, I don't remember where their class came in but I don't think it was very good. If USC's qb can stay healthy next year and they have a good season, their offensive cooridnator is good, Clay might even buy himself another year. Of course this is purely a guess because I have no inside info.

It's to avoid any more scandals. The university is under a lot of scrutiny because of multiple scandals outside of the football team (like the recent admissions debacle, plus there was a gynecologist on campus who was accused of sexual assault by many people). The president of the university doesn't want to risk more scandal with Urban. It sounds like they had conversations with Bob Stoops but couldn't convince him. With the steep buyout and the fact that Clay runs a squeaky clean program, they just decided to stick with the loser. All USC fans are currently miserable.

It's to avoid any more scandals. The university is under a lot of scrutiny because of multiple scandals outside of the football team (like the recent admissions debacle, plus there was a gynecologist on campus who was accused of sexual assault by many people). The president of the university doesn't want to risk more scandal with Urban. It sounds like they had conversations with Bob Stoops but couldn't convince him. With the steep buyout and the fact that Clay runs a squeaky clean program, they just decided to stick with the loser. All USC fans are currently miserable.
Not all fans. I am a member of the Tournament of Roses and there are some connected people that are Happy that that Helton was retained. Probably because he is a good man that runs a clean program and not willing to cross that line, but we'll see if that support lasts.

Last edited:
Not all fans. I am a member of the Tournament of Roses and there are some connected people that are Happy that that Helton was retained. Probably because he is a good man that runs a clean program and not willing to cross that line, but we'll see if that support lasts.
I hope USC goes 9-3 and wins the Pac 12 South, they won't be able to fire him after that.

I hope USC goes 9-3 and wins the Pac 12 South, they won't be able to fire him after that.
If you want to talk about great scenarios for keeping Helton at USC to keep them from getting back to elite status, how about they finish 8-4 and lose a bowl game, but they upset Notre Dame, beat UCLA, and play in the Pac-12 championship game? Beating Notre Dame would buy a great deal of empathy, especially if it's deemed to be a huge upset of a highly ranked N.D. team. Since I can't stand either team, this is my way of hitting 2 birds with 1 stone.

If you want to talk about great scenarios for keeping Helton at USC to keep them from getting back to elite status, how about they finish 8-4 and lose a bowl game, but they upset Notre Dame, beat UCLA, and play in the Pac-12 championship game? Beating Notre Dame would buy a great deal of empathy, especially if it's deemed to be a huge upset of a highly ranked N.D. team. Since I can't stand either team, this is my way of hitting 2 birds with 1 stone.
That is even more better than my idea. :Mfclap:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back