• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Honoring former players......from other teams

Was watching the 30 for 30 on Marcus DuPree last night and wondered what kind of reception he, and many others who have played in Lincoln, would get if they were brought back to Memorial Stadium for an introduction.
Personally, I'd love to see some former opposing players who put on quite a show come back to a fan base who appreciates good football.

I'll start with a few:

Duante Culpepper, UCF
Troy Edwards, LA Tech
Eric Bienemy, CU
Darren Sproles, KSU
Keith Jackson, OU

I can just imagine some highlight clips against NU of these guys between the first and second quarters, then the introduction. I seriously think they would get a huge, positive response. (And their former teams would probably be fuming!)
I'm not sure it's been done before. Trev would be just the guy to do it too.

Who would you like to see, if anyone? And NO, I'm not sadistic.
I've no problem with honoring any one of the Oklahoma greats who made life miserable for us Husker fans, but I'll puke my guts up if Bienemy or any other Buff is ever paid any kind of tribute in Memorial Stadium...

I'm assuming this idea is 100% "just for fun" with 0% seriousness to it.

Otherwise, I can't imagine why players from past opponents would have any interest at all in being some sort of "special guest" for a game in Lincoln. If Lincoln, why not travel to other universities as well for such appearances? And shouldn't our former Husker greats also do some sort of a celebrity tour to other stadiums as well?

Maybe what should be done is a stadium tour of College Football Hall of Fame players.

But, if these former players have something else occupying their time, maybe we could dig up the remains of past college greats and roll out their corpses for display out in front of the stadium. Sort of like they do with Egyptian mummies. Here's King Tut. Here's Red Grange.

I think this idea has some merit. First, it shows that Husker fans appreciate good football. Secondly, good football does not mean that NU wins all of the time(not realistic). Thirdly, NU has had their day in the sunshine and will again. Good sportsmanship never looses its' appeal, to good fans. Could be the core of a good half-time show, occasionally. GBR

I'm assuming this idea is 100% "just for fun" with 0% seriousness to it.

Otherwise, I can't imagine why players from past opponents would have any interest at all in being some sort of "special guest" for a game in Lincoln. If Lincoln, why not travel to other universities as well for such appearances? And shouldn't our former Husker greats also do some sort of a celebrity tour to other stadiums as well?

Maybe what should be done is a stadium tour of College Football Hall of Fame players.

But, if these former players have something else occupying their time, maybe we could dig up the remains of past college greats and roll out their corpses for display out in front of the stadium. Sort of like they do with Egyptian mummies. Here's King Tut. Here's Red Grange.
As long as they sell beer in the stadium,

Honoring former opponents, especially ones on teams who beat Nebraska, is taking "Nebraska nice" a little too far in my opinion. The exception might be if you were bringing back players from both teams to commemorate a memorable game (like what OU did earlier this season for the 50th anniversary of the classic 1971 game).

I guess I would have a hard time with "Please welcome Melvin Gordon back to Memorial Stadium. He ran all over us in several games from 2011 - 2014." Or "Give a big hand to J.T. Barrett. In his two (or was it three?) career starts against Nebraska, Ohio St. never punted and probably could have scored 70 points each game if they wanted to."

Interesting question. What are the top performances by opposing players in Memorial Stadium.

Fordham LB might be a recent example.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back