• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Honest Martinez discussion!

Frosty1980

Go Big Red!
5 Year Member
So I’ve been sitting at home reading posters say Martinez sucks or he’s great. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. After the Illinois game I lost my mind and said he was the worst quarterback I’ve ever seen. Obviously I was being emotional and ridiculous. He’s the best we have and he’s a great athlete. People didn’t turn on him immediately. This took two years of bad play before the turn happened. However this season he’s playing his best football ever. I honestly believe he’s the best quarterback in the BIG ten west. I also believe the West is weak and we can still have a winning season.
The line has been crap for four years and the kids been hit a ton. He definitely is our best offensive player. Maybe he got to big and battled injuries for to seasons but he wasn’t very good after his freshman season.

52B4BE3F-A543-480D-BA9A-BA496AF6C669.jpeg

This picture shows how many games we’ve had a chance to win while he’s been here on a last drive. He’s not very good in the two minute offense. He misses wide open guys that the announcers have pointed out now in two games Illinois and Michigan State. His turnovers have to be part of the discussion. He has turned the ball over more than any player in the history of college football. You can’t discount that or his lack of having a game winning drive to end a game. While I think he’s good those are the reasons I don’t say he’s great. Nice to be able to communicate with you guys again. GBR!!!

This picture shows how many games we’ve had a chance to win while he’s been here on a last drive. He’s not very good in the two minute offense. He misses wide open guys that the announcers have pointed out now in two games Illinois and Michigan State. His turnovers have to be part of the discussion. He has turned the ball over more than any player in the history of college football. You can’t discount that or his lack of having a game winning drive to end a game. While I think he’s good those are the reasons I don’t say he’s great. Nice to be able to communicate with you guys again. GBR!!!
He is definitely better than he has been, it really only takes looking at PFF break downs after each of our games. It's hard to be a great qb when you're being pressured over half of your snaps. I've said it plenty though it lies on deaf ears quite a bit, top 50 ST and we're likely sitting 4-1 at worst. Add a well coached O-line that plays well within their scheme on we're mud stomping these teams.

He is definitely better than he has been, it really only takes looking at PFF break downs after each of our games. It's hard to be a great qb when you're being pressured over half of your snaps. I've said it plenty though it lies on deaf ears quite a bit, top 50 ST and we're likely sitting 4-1 at worst. Add a well coached O-line that plays well within their scheme on we're mud stomping these teams.
Oh I agree it’s not all his fault. The way the west looks if we had a good offensive line Martinez could win it for us.

Thanks for a actual reasonable response. I think we can acknowledge he’s really good but has some short comings as a quarterback. He’s still possibly the best quarterback in the BIG this season.

Thanks for a actual reasonable response. I think we can acknowledge he’s really good but has some short comings as a quarterback. He’s still possibly the best quarterback in the BIG this season.
Well as I see it, it's pretty easy to see the actual issues while watching. I was watching football last weekend and came across the Alabama game, watching them drop back for a pass and seeing their pass pro was truly a thing of beauty. My son and I were both in awe. If we were 1/2 that in pass pro I'd be happy. We have the talent there to do it.

Well as I see it, it's pretty easy to see the actual issues while watching. I was watching football last weekend and came across the Alabama game, watching them drop back for a pass and seeing their pass pro was truly a thing of beauty. My son and I were both in awe. If we were 1/2 that in pass pro I'd be happy. We have the talent there to do it.
I agree the talent isn’t the issue.

That's an amazing line and you can add MSU to it. I was going to say Martinez is inconsistent and that is why we have trouble sustaining drives and scoring. But this shows some situational consistency of not being able to get a 2 minute drive together. However, many of those are also starting in our territory and it looks like the odds of creating a drive requiring stringing together several successful passing plays are extremely poor.

That's an amazing line and you can add MSU to it. I was going to say Martinez is inconsistent and that is why we have trouble sustaining drives and scoring. But this shows some situational consistency of not being able to get a 2 minute drive together. However, many of those are also starting in our territory and it looks like the odds of creating a drive requiring stringing together several successful passing plays are extremely poor.
I also want to be fair to Martinez. Our line doesn’t give him much time. He’s probably very uncomfortable back there. Frost hasn’t exactly called a great game in those situations either.

He's what the recruiting services tabbed him in high school. An athlete, not a QB. We have a good athlete playing QB and in some games that should be enough. But not nearly in all of them.

I actually have a lot of good feelings about Martinez. He is being asked to play out of position because for some reason our HC thought he saw a QB in him when most others didn't. And the coach has not been able to make him into a good QB. He's basically the same player he was freshman year.

But plaudits for Martinez for trying to do the job. I strongly applaud him for that. It's not his fault that he is not a natural QB. He's doing the best he can without a whole lot of help on the field or on the sidelines.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back