• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Honda Trail 90 - advice needed!

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
So my dad bought a Honda Trail 90 at a garage sale about 20 years ago for $100. He was always a master craftsman and completely restored it. When he died, I decided I would keep it. But the gas tank is all rusty inside, I have no key for it, and it really needs going over. Hasn't been run in probably a decade. Should I take it to a Honda dealer or will they totally hose me? Independent shop? I don't have a pic of it but it look just like this.

1588732703702.png

Last edited:

Go get a tank, oil, filters, ignition cylinder, and a manual from Honda and get it back on the road. These are really simple to work on. If you aren't confident in your skills, find a good independent shop.

Go get a tank, oil, filters, ignition cylinder, and a manual from Honda and get it back on the road. These are really simple to work on. If you aren't confident in your skills, find a good independent shop.

So what would a good "ballpark" $$ be that I should be looking to spend?

I would not worry about the cost. This little scooter has that family airlume, sentimental value you can't put a price on it

If it ran when it was parked it will run now you just have be careful how you do things.

First get a shop manuel for it and read and learn,. these were designed to be very simple to work on and they are.

Then start by cleaning the tank and carb, pulling the spark plugs turing the motor over by hand, changing the oil and filter if it has one and see if the tires will hold air.

You should be able to find parts at Honda eBay and what not.

The feeling of getting all that done I tell you and being able to say hey I did that you can't out a price on.

You can also work on it a little at a time to help keep cost down and take your time

Good luck

Last edited:
I would not worry about the cost. This little scooter has that family airlume, sentimental value you can't put a price on it

If it ran when it was parked it will run now you just have be careful how you do things.

First get a shop manuel for it and read and learn,. these were designed to be very simple to work on and they are.

Then start by cleaning the tank and carb, pulling the spark plugs turing the motor over by hand, changing the oil and filter if it has one and see if the tires will hold air.

You should be able to find parts at Honda eBay and what not.

The feeling of getting all that done I tell you and being able to say hey I did that you can't out a price on.

You can also work on it a little at a time to help keep cost down and take your time

Good luck

Thank you. The one thing I noticed is that the inside of the gas tank is all rusty. What do you do about that?

I had an older Triumph about a decade ago. I ended up buying a shop manual from Triumph, and a Haynes manual. Was able able to do all of the work myself from those, and I am not much of a mechanic. My fuel tank had similar rust issues, although maybe not as bad. I ended up putting a filter in the fuel line which kept the big gunk out of the carbs. It took some tweaking but it got me by without replacing the tank.

Last edited:

Way back in the day I used to ride and restore a bunch of old Spanish motorcycles (Bultacos) and a common fix for rusty or leaky fiberglass tanks was to fill them with a liquid sealer then pour it out and let it sit. After 24 hours it was good to go. You disconnect the fuel line first and insert a plug. I got the stuff from a cycle shop, can't remember what it was called but it worked great.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back