• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Honas Coming Back

All these defenders coming back makes me think next year is going to be 2009-esque with really good defense and an offense without a pulse. Yes, yes, I know they won't be in the actual realm of the talent on that 2009 D.
I agree man but have some faith you never know who will be the next Suh or L.David

Last edited:

It is almost as if we have two different teams. It makes me wonder about the vote to not play in a bowl game. Did that fall along the lines of defense and offense?

The culture on defense appears to be that of a tight nit group that wants to compete together. It's getting better.

The culture on offense seems to be nothing short of disarray. Losing Wandale is a blow, no doubt.
But there are pieces that should be coming together on that side of the ball, by now.

I am in the camp that AM could still be a very good college QB. He obviously needs to secure the football much better but he also needs some weapons on the perimeter to stretch the field. If some deep threats could get open more often he may actually hit some of those deep shots. If we had a RB or two that could pop a long run once in awhile that would help him as well.

Anyway, Guys like Betts, Alante Brown, Manning (IF he is still here), D. Houston, Hickman, J. Nance etc. Why are they not seeing the field more and getting developed. Are they all hurt?

RB's: Morrison, Thompkins, Scott and R. Johnson all hurt?

If most of these guys come back healthy and we add these weapons to the rotation next year, along with Stepp and Toure, can they be brought together and are they talented enough to establish a successful culture or identity on offense?

The offensive line will be young but seem to be really talented from what we have seen from those younger guys.

Any freshman coming in that can help right away on that side if the ball beside Fidone?

I just don't see this as a lack of talent issue any longer. On paper we have plenty of talent on offense. It gives me hope, but it may be false hope, again. They have to be developed and we need to establish what we want to be on this side of the ball. I liked what I saw against Rutgers, sans the turnovers.
Winning equals fun, you can still win on defense and still lose the game.
The offense is pressing,on this long covid year, while the defense kept getting better, but lets say, if a D back drops a sure interception, it has a different effect on that squad than if a wr does, or a fumble is given up, where the defense recovers one etc.

Winning fixes things, just moreso for the offense in this scenario imo.

I would also include that LB is all new for him. He was a safety in high school. He’s going to a stud before he leaves. Just a hard nose athletic kid.

Agreed. He's going to be just fine.

Safety and inside backer transitions aren't as hard as some other position switches, but the physicality and how to play in the gaps is a new thing for him. He'll figure it out.

Was that him or Reimer? I don't remember seeing Honas do it that much, but I felt like Reimer cheated a few times trying to make a big play, and the back just ran into the gap he vacated.
The defense had bigger gaps than micheal Strahans teeth

These defenders either have a very strong bond with one another and desire to really do something special, a deep connection to those defensive coaches, are some major confidence in the opportunity to have a special season. Or they just love the game and want to improve their stock.

Either way, these decisions should benefit that defense for years to come. Assuming most of these guys hold on to their starting spots, we are working toward that idea of getting old and staying old.

This will cover some misses in recruiting for sure.

LOVE this!

D is firming up very nicely!

Now if Scott can go down to the local Costco (also known as the transfer portal or junior college route).....

and find us a speed rusher or two.

holy moly look out!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back