• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Honas Coming Back

While it's not where it needs to be, it was such a huge improvement from 2018 and 2019. Which is why teams didn't run wild on them for the most part.
Agreed.

Miller was this teams biggest liability at ILB, almost in every aspect.

Reimer is going to be an absolute stud, but he was also guilty of guessing as opposed to letting his eyes dictate his actions. He will get better at it. Honas improved greatly in this area (not perfect by any means), but if his improvement YOY is the same as last year, then he's going to be a really, really solid guy for us.

Last edited:

I didn't watch Reimer as much as Honas but I saw Honas shoot the wrong gap way too often. I still think we're better with him than without him though.

Where I noticed the biggest improvement from '19 to '20 was what the ILB's did with the space created by the D Line. In '19, even when the line would do their jobs, you'd see Honas and/or Miller frequently run into the scrum and get lost in the flow, rather than read and react. This fall you frequently saw all the guys in the middle move laterally and pick the right gap. Sure, there were some misses and Honas had his share, but it was better by a big margin. Honas is really a 'gut' player and that can be an issue with assignment defense when you're not an absolute physical freak.

It is almost as if we have two different teams. It makes me wonder about the vote to not play in a bowl game. Did that fall along the lines of defense and offense?

The culture on defense appears to be that of a tight nit group that wants to compete together. It's getting better.

The culture on offense seems to be nothing short of disarray. Losing Wandale is a blow, no doubt.
But there are pieces that should be coming together on that side of the ball, by now.

I am in the camp that AM could still be a very good college QB. He obviously needs to secure the football much better but he also needs some weapons on the perimeter to stretch the field. If some deep threats could get open more often he may actually hit some of those deep shots. If we had a RB or two that could pop a long run once in awhile that would help him as well.

Anyway, Guys like Betts, Alante Brown, Manning (IF he is still here), D. Houston, Hickman, J. Nance etc. Why are they not seeing the field more and getting developed. Are they all hurt?

RB's: Morrison, Thompkins, Scott and R. Johnson all hurt?

If most of these guys come back healthy and we add these weapons to the rotation next year, along with Stepp and Toure, can they be brought together and are they talented enough to establish a successful culture or identity on offense?

The offensive line will be young but seem to be really talented from what we have seen from those younger guys.

Any freshman coming in that can help right away on that side if the ball beside Fidone?

I just don't see this as a lack of talent issue any longer. On paper we have plenty of talent on offense. It gives me hope, but it may be false hope, again. They have to be developed and we need to establish what we want to be on this side of the ball. I liked what I saw against Rutgers, sans the turnovers.
Not sure how many coaches allowed their players to vote on a bowl game. I view the vote as players living far from home and not seeing their families for as long as six months.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Was that him or Reimer? I don't remember seeing Honas do it that much, but I felt like Reimer cheated a few times trying to make a big play, and the back just ran into the gap he vacated.

Plus Reimer should have been taken out of the Iowa game by the coaches after his cheap shot.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back