• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Homemade bacon

Unlike the link you have, I like pressing pepper into my bacon before I brine it and I have also made the brine with Coca-Cola and Dr. Pepper, both are awesome. Also I don't think you need to brine it for 7 days, 3 is usually enough and the salt hasn't layered the outside of the meat as much. I like to smoke mine @ 180 F for 4 to 6 hours. I would recommend experimentation to figure out what works best for you.

Maple Syrup is good
Birch Syrup is better

If you get a chance make some beef bacon as well, I like it better, but my kids don't.

Last edited:

Unlike the link you have, I like pressing pepper into my bacon before I brine it and I have also made the brine with Coca-Cola and Dr. Pepper, both are awesome. Also I don't think you need to brine it for 7 days, 3 is usually enough and the salt hasn't layered the outside of the meat as much. I like to smoke mine @ 180 F for 4 to 6 hours. I would recommend experimentation to figure out what works best for you.

Maple Syrup is good
Birch Syrup is better

If you get a chance make some beef bacon as well, I like it better, but my kids don't.
I usually brine equal amounts of brown sugar and tender quik, 4-5 days in I'll cover in maple syrup. This dr. Pepper idea has my attention. I'm getting ready to cure some bacon, by adding the dr. Pepper do you eliminate other sugars or keep the ingredients the same?

image.jpg
Just sliced up some homemade bacon. Used red&blues idea and finished the cure by soaking in dr. Pepper for about 8 hrs. Smoked for another 8hrs at 130• with a combo of jack Daniels oak barrel chips and cherry wood. Yummy!!!

View attachment 5884
Just sliced up some homemade bacon. Used red&blues idea and finished the cure by soaking in dr. Pepper for about 8 hrs. Smoked for another 8hrs at 130• with a combo of jack Daniels oak barrel chips and cherry wood. Yummy!!!

Cool!
I would have never thought of it except I have had Ham cooked with a Dr. Pepper glaze and it was good, so I tried it on the best pork.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back