• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

HOL anonymous high school coaches feedback

Thats a BINGO!

1. Overall, Scott's staff has recruited well.
2. The recruiting and relationship issues in the local area point out the INEXPERIENCE of the staff which we see in multiple other areas:
A. Lack of attention to Special Teams
B. Failure to keep recruits on campus
C. Penalties
D. Inability to close out games they could have/should have won.

One special season and this staff felt that they had "special sauce" and didn't have to do the little things. That is a manifestation of an inexperienced Head Coach!

GBR
Do you think we would have been better off if Scott would have gone 8-4 several years in a row? Would he have been a hot target? Not meant to be nasty but the bold part got me thinking.

Do you think we would have been better off if Scott would have gone 8-4 several years in a row? Would he have been a hot target? Not meant to be nasty but the bold part got me thinking.
joncarl

Maybe,
Or, if we had blow out losses to Wisconsin, OSU, etc would there have been cries from the "peanut gallery" that:
-"this isn't good enough for $5 million a year"
- h*ll, Pelini did this good and we fired him"

With our fan base who knows :)

Last edited:
joncarl

Maybe,
Or, if we had blow out losses to Wisconsin, OSU, etc would there have been cries from the "peanut gallery" that:
-"this isn't good enough for $5 million a year"
- h*ll, Pelini did this good and we fired him"

With our fan base who knows :)
Just so we are on the same page I meant 8-4 at ucf.

Whatever the opinions are out there, it will ALL improve if we start winning. We need these in-state guys, but more success on the field will certainly help them stay home.

Whatever the opinions are out there, it will ALL improve if we start winning. We need these in-state guys, but more success on the field will certainly help them stay home.

It will help with the ones who have any interest in staying home.

It's been said before, but Omaha has become a melting pot of people from other places without loyalty or affiliation to Nebraska. Winning will help increase interest, but if you've got a kid who's family moved to Omaha and still has strong ties to their previous home, you'll likely have an uphill battle keeping him in Nebraska.

These are all HC issues. It is squarely on his shoulders.

But we always say we have recruited wonderful classes each year with HCSF. Every year he has been there we go on and on about this guy and that guy really being able to help the program. But what good has that done?

As for talent level at UCF, there are more good players in Florida that don't get offers than we see in the entire state of Nebraska. There are probably as many at Northwestern high school in Miami as the entire state of Nebraska. UCF talent level was better than ours and probably will be as long as we have this administration. They get players that go in the early rounds in the NFL draft. Recruiting there for players we could use is easy. His success in that program is not transferable to NU.

I'd wager that the most successful coaches are organization freaks. Ten bucks says that Nick Saban knows what's happening in every practice, every day of the week. He may not know every single brand-new recruiting target the instant that kid hits the market, but I bet he can call up the assistant who does in 8 seconds.

In sales, I've used several different "cadence" softwares, which are basically designed to put all your prospects on a track and make sure they get called. For example, you'll load up your leads and the system will setup a cadence of something like, "Day1 Call. Day2 Text. Day3 Email. Day5 Call Again."

A lot of this can be automated so that you're in constant contact and control of your prospects. You just log in and the system tells you to call Customer 1, 6 and 10 and then email Customer 2 and 37. Massive efficiency gains.

In my last company we went from something like 8 responses out of 100, to more like 25:100. It literally tripled our results in about 2 months of prep/training.

In this day of technology, disorganization is just absurd.

There must be someone on the staff that can implement something that would work better than what they are NOT doing now.

It will help with the ones who have any interest in staying home.

It's been said before, but Omaha has become a melting pot of people from other places without loyalty or affiliation to Nebraska. Winning will help increase interest, but if you've got a kid who's family moved to Omaha and still has strong ties to their previous home, you'll likely have an uphill battle keeping him in Nebraska.
No question each situation is different. Avante Dickerson is a prime example.

Omaha (at least the 2nd congressional district) often sees things differently than the rest of the state - so forgive me if I don't seem panicked ;) The state population outside of Omaha is static/dwindling, most of the state population growth is within the Omaha metro area. Doesn't help that the program seems to be also static/dwindling. Peyton Manning has probably done more for the big O than anyone in recent memory.

That said, with each passing year, I remain convinced theres no pleasing portions of this (or most any) fan base.... following decades of stability, they've experienced the taste of firing/blood & it's their answer for every ailment, real or perceived. I remain committed to the long term, but the continual negativity is in danger of becoming, if it hasn't already, a self fulfilling prophecy.

One thing is for certain, during my ~20 years spent online (BBS) with DONU, discussions have often centered around offering either too many or too few locals...glad we all agree more is better & now the issue is simply getting more yes's? ;) Aggravating that DONU's on the field struggles continue, some success there would likely clear up some of the whining, but there is a palpable anti contingent that honestly thrive on the ridicule. Speaking of, always good to hear from the know it all uncle local HS coaches & media, who have all the answers & hindsight - so helpful.

The Friday Night Lights camps have seemed like awesome outreach events... walkon program seems improved. DONU's not elite again yet, hopefully they can right the ship & get on track again - becoming a household name again will make the program more attractive nationwide... & hopefully in our own backyard.

Last edited:
Such a positive statement about people that don't parrot your opinion. Get a grip.

C
I just gave my opinion, you have one about fans understanding the changing dynamics of OPS kids ir just insults?

I think what people are saying, not me,but other people are right when they say local kids in Omaha arent always local,and some fans expect an older dynamic of almost all were born and raised here, which is changing somewhat,and those fans expect that kind of loyalty when its simply not there.

Now, if you have anything to disagree with, I would gladly like to hear it, other than your previous mumblings that speak to nothing on the subject about me and not the subject

I just gave my opinion, you have one about fans understanding the changing dynamics of OPS kids ir just insults?

I think what people are saying, not me,but other people are right when they say local kids in Omaha arent always local,and some fans expect an older dynamic of almost all were born and raised here, which is changing somewhat,and those fans expect that kind of loyalty when its simply not there.

Now, if you have anything to disagree with, I would gladly like to hear it, other than your previous mumblings that speak to nothing on the subject about me and not the subject

I didn't insult anyone, you did. And that is all I was posting about. You could have made your point without the insult. I don't recall anyone lamenting in this thread that all Omaha kids should pick NU.

And for the record it is obvious that there is a bunch of transplants to Omaha with out of state football loyalties.

And nice crack back on me saying mumblings. It is like you just can't help yourself to make slights.

C

I didn't insult anyone, you did. And that is all I was posting about. You could have made your point without the insult. I don't recall anyone lamenting in this thread that all Omaha kids should pick NU.

And for the record it is obvious that there is a bunch of transplants to Omaha with out of state football loyalties.

And nice crack back on me saying mumblings. It is like you just can't help yourself to make slights.

C
Plain and simple
Not all kids grew up, nor their parents,in OPS and play football.
Some of them are good enough to be recruited.

I think some fans dont appreciate the dynamics this causes, and we dont have a 'sure thing' waiting for the offer from DONU.

Now, besides the insults from other 'fans', there it is, and it appears you agree.

Now,my question for you is, why do you think some fans dont understand this changed dynamic?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back