• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hoiberg

Scoob N Lincoln

Recruit
5 Year Member
I ran across a pretty interesting article from 2015 about Fred Hoiberg. With all of the Hoiberg speculation I thought I would share a portion of the article. A couple interesting facts were, Osborne offered Hoiberg a scholarship at tight end. I had also forgotten that Hoiberg replaced McDermott when he left for Creighton.

Hoiberg had no head coaching experience at the time, but he was already a legend in Ames. He turned down a Nebraska football scholarship at the height of the Tom Osborne era to play basketball for his hometown school. He left as the program's third-leading scorer after taking the Cyclones to the NCAA Tournament three times. He had his jersey retired two years after graduation.

More at the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Fred Hoiberg is announced as our new head coach next week, I will turn somersaults from here to Ames.
Unfortunately, given our track record of only hiring moderately successful mid-major coaches since Cipriano/Iba....Nee (Ohio), Collier (Butler), Sadler (UTEP), Miles (CSU)....it's difficult to imagine anything but mild disappointment when the hire is announced.

If Fred Hoiberg is announced as our new head coach next week, I will turn somersaults from here to Ames.
Unfortunately, given our track record of only hiring moderately successful mid-major coaches since Cipriano/Iba....Nee (Ohio), Collier (Butler), Sadler (UTEP), Miles (CSU)....it's difficult to imagine anything but mild disappointment when the hire is announced.
I can think of others I’d be enthusiastic about, but your point is taken.

You need to link and quote the article, by the way.

Hoiberg to NU would be intriguing, for sure, and would be scoring so far above Nebraska’s head, it isn’t even funny.

You’d have to worry about ISU ever stumbling under Prohm, because fans like me want Fred back now, despite them winning #4 in 6 years this weekend in KC.

I ran across a pretty interesting article from 2015 about Fred Hoiberg. With all of the Hoiberg speculation I thought I would share a portion of the article. A couple interesting facts were, Osborne offered Hoiberg a scholarship at tight end. I had also forgotten that Hoiberg replaced McDermott when he left for Creighton.

Hoiberg had no head coaching experience at the time, but he was already a legend in Ames. He turned down a Nebraska football scholarship at the height of the Tom Osborne era to play basketball for his hometown school. He left as the program's third-leading scorer after taking the Cyclones to the NCAA Tournament three times. He had his jersey retired two years after graduation.

Before Hoiberg arrived, Iowa State basketball was at its low point. The Cyclones had finished with a losing record in each of the previous three seasons under coach Greg McDermott, who heard whispers about his job security and took an offer from Creighton. In its first season under Hoiberg, ISU got back to .500. During his second year is when Hoiberg really started to show what type of coach he could be.

The star of the 2012 team was forward Royce White, a gifted but troubled transfer from Minnesota. He led the Cyclones to a 23-11 campaign, a No. 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament and a win over UConn once there. The addition of White started a trend Hoiberg has followed throughout his tenure at ISU: Instead of competing against bigger programs for top high school recruits, Hoiberg has always been willing to take a chance on a transfer, even if there are red flags.

With White, Iowa State had the No. 24 offense in college basketball, per KenPom. It was a drastic change from the McDermott era, when the Cyclones averaged an offensive finish of No. 185 in the country.

Hoiberg had given Iowa State an identity. It would play as fast any team in the country, fire three-pointers at will and put an emphasis on meaningful off-the-ball motion. The Cyclones were also always undersized, never having a legitimate center before last season when Marquette transfer Jameel McKay finally provided a shot blocker inside. That meant ISU's defense was always inferior to its offense, but no one was going to argue with the exciting brand of ball Hoiberg's teams were playing.

You need to link and quote the article, by the way.

Hoiberg to NU would be intriguing, for sure, and would be scoring so far above Nebraska’s head, it isn’t even funny.

You’d have to worry about ISU ever stumbling under Prohm, because fans like me want Fred back now, despite them winning #4 in 6 years this weekend in KC.

Not just your comment but I hear things likes of this too much.
Nebraska needs to stop worrying about a coaching candidate because they might leave for a better opportunity or because they want to go "home". For crap sake I would love for Husker basketball to be in a position where some basketball school with plenty of tradition wants the coach in Lincoln. To be there we will have finally started to build something.

8F1548A5-83E0-43AA-90FA-D37D76651744.jpeg

Zagoria works for NY Times, seems connected, don't know how clear his crystal ball is.

How about Red Berenson? He’s old but we could try to lure him out of retirement. That is, after we pull up the hardwood and put in a sheet of ice.

Fred Hoiberg does have quite a few connections to Nebraska. He was born in Lincoln, both of his parents grew up in LIncoln and graduated from Lincoln Southeast, and his grandfather was the Nebraska Basketball coach way back in the day. Plus, Lincoln is a nice town for a kid who grew up in a town like Ames. Hope it happens.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back