• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

{insert thread title here}

Over his team? Was Nebraska his team that he was supposed to prioritize?

I probably used imprecise language by saying "individual accolades". I should have probably just said his own best interest - to be on a team where he can concentrate on his QB'ing rather than being expected to carry a team on his back. This will benefit HIS team, which is and has been Georgia for a while now. And his decision will benefit him, if he stays healthy and lives up to the hype that has been thrust upon him. As for the notion that players can only sacrifice at NU, and not at places like Georgia, I doubt that is the case. I bet Georgia players are worker as hard or harder and sacrificing as much or more than any player on the Nebraska roster.

Now, I'm sure, if you had the option of playing for national championships with an already established supporting cast, and the potential for 100's of millions of dollars of NFL money, you would turn it down and pick Nebraska. But DR apparently feels differently and probably more would take the path he chose than choose to go the riskier route. He has no real emotional ties to Nebraska and has no real connections to the University. It's not surprising that he wasn't ready to bet his whole future on red, so to speak, in the hopes he could survive the 3 years it may take to get the offensive line ready to protect him, especially given our track record of underperforming with top level QB's. If we were at Bo Pelini levels of "failure", winning 9-10 games per year and playing in conference title games 1/3 of the time, maybe. But the choice he made is a no brainer if his heart wasn't in it.

In any event, it has worked out well for everyone. He's happy not being forced to go to a school he didn't want to be at, and Kaelin is happy getting to go to his first choice school. Hopefully, things work out well for both of them and their respective universities.
This is a moot discussion if there was some unpublicized problem with his high school team that caused 20 guys to transfer, which someone reported was the case. But no, not Nebraska. In this case it would have been loyalty to his high school team/team mates.

I don't know where you're getting the notion that Georgia and Nebraska would be any different in this regard. I would expect Georgia fans/players to want their players to have loyalty and sacrifice for the Bulldogs just the same way I described. My quibble is that I think its weird to transfer for your senior year. It shows loyalty to yourself above your team (current team, the high school where he has a chance to lead his team mates in one final campaign). Its worth noting he already hand-picked this school by transferring there previously. A bit too much shopping around for my taste, but yeah its just high school ball.

Your hypothetical about turning down 100s of millions of NFL money is a weird straw man. He can still go to the NFL. He'd be playing for a former NFL head coach and other staff with strong NFL ties. Its not like he'd throw his career away to play for the Huskers. I don't begrudge him picking Georgia. I just prefer Danny Kaelin's transparent loyalties. He shows a lot more evidence of relationships with his high school teammates and an enthusiasm for Nebraska that we rarely see. Its endearing. Can't help but root for the guy.

This is a moot discussion if there was some unpublicized problem with his high school team that caused 20 guys to transfer, which someone reported was the case. But no, not Nebraska. In this case it would have been loyalty to his high school team/team mates.

I don't know where you're getting the notion that Georgia and Nebraska would be any different in this regard. I would expect Georgia fans/players to want their players to have loyalty and sacrifice for the Bulldogs just the same way I described. My quibble is that I think its weird to transfer for your senior year. It shows loyalty to yourself above your team (current team, the high school where he has a chance to lead his team mates in one final campaign). Its worth noting he already hand-picked this school by transferring there previously. A bit too much shopping around for my taste, but yeah its just high school ball.

Your hypothetical about turning down 100s of millions of NFL money is a weird straw man. He can still go to the NFL. He'd be playing for a former NFL head coach and other staff with strong NFL ties. Its not like he'd throw his career away to play for the Huskers. I don't begrudge him picking Georgia. I just prefer Danny Kaelin's transparent loyalties. He shows a lot more evidence of relationships with his high school teammates and an enthusiasm for Nebraska that we rarely see. Its endearing. Can't help but root for the guy.
If 20 people transferred from his H.S. team, why should he be the one to stay? Seems like his loyalties may have been with the players that left. Or maybe it has nothing to do with loyalty, but rather exiting a toxic situation. Don't know. Hadn't heard that rumor, but then I didn't really follow the DR drama because it was obvious he was going to Georgia, not Nebraska.

It's interesting that you think his odds of getting to the NFL are the same whether he goes to Nebraska or Georgia. It's almost as if we didn't just go through a period in which a certain QB with NFL potential spent his four years at Nebraska running for his life. Had AM had a stable offense to QB in, there is no telling what could have happened. We will just have to differ on whether a QB going into an established line, receivers, and running backs is better off than one going to a team that has had issues just fielding a competent team for the last 5 years.

As far as loyalty goes, I'm not sure why anyone expects or expected that DR's loyalty would be to Nebraska. Is it because he has a family member that is a coach here, or because his father played here?

If 20 people transferred from his H.S. team, why should he be the one to stay? Seems like his loyalties may have been with the players that left. Or maybe it has nothing to do with loyalty, but rather exiting a toxic situation. Don't know. Hadn't heard that rumor, but then I didn't really follow the DR drama because it was obvious he was going to Georgia, not Nebraska.

It's interesting that you think his odds of getting to the NFL are the same whether he goes to Nebraska or Georgia. It's almost as if we didn't just go through a period in which a certain QB with NFL potential spent his four years at Nebraska running for his life. Had AM had a stable offense to QB in, there is no telling what could have happened. We will just have to differ on whether a QB going into an established line, receivers, and running backs is better off than one going to a team that has had issues just fielding a competent team for the last 5 years.

As far as loyalty goes, I'm not sure why anyone expects or expected that DR's loyalty would be to Nebraska. Is it because he has a family member that is a coach here, or because his father played here?
Yes

And so his choosing to chart his own path is disloyalty to NU? That’s hilarious, but that’s why we have forums. So people can express a variety of viewpoints. I would suggest that holding people to this standard will result in a great deal of disappointment as reality intervenes with one’s world view.

And so his choosing to chart his own path is disloyalty to NU? That’s hilarious, but that’s why we have forums. So people can express a variety of viewpoints. I would suggest that holding people to this standard will result in a great deal of disappointment as reality intervenes with one’s world view.
I'm not suggesting DR is wrong or disloyal. Just answering your question of why some people may have expected loyalty from DR. I'm not saying their expectations of loyalty were based on reason. The two reasons you listed are the obvious reasons.

I don’t see how Adrian Martinez’ experience at Nebraska factors into it at all. You probably heard, they fired that coach and his staff. The current coach is a former NFL head coach with a great track record of getting guys into the NFL, including multiple players who were NOT highly touted recruits.

I already said that the HS situation was different (I said moot) if there was a problem with that coaching staff that drove players away.

I see no reason Adrian Martinez’ situation has any bearing. You probably heard, that coach and his staff were fired. The current head coach is a former NFL head coach with a strong track record for getting guys into the NFL, including players who were not highly touted out of high school. I still think your straw man argument about forfeiting millions to play at NU is specious.

And I’ve said probably a half dozen times now, I have no problem with Raiola going to Georgia. I just find his multiple high school transfers strange. It doesn’t speak to a guy with strong long term relationships with coaches and teammates. He’s never really had a chance to do that. For me, that’s a negative.

Edit- I’ll leave it, but my original post looked like it had been deleted, then it showed up linked to me 2nd attempt.

Last edited:
I'll assume Carson Beck is the starter this year (that seems to be the buzz). He has two years remaining (class of 2020). One that would overlap Raiola (assuming Beck doesn't turn pro).

Fromm was just a year older than Fields. Bennett had 3 more years of eligibility when Daniels arrived from USC (he was a transfer). Daniels has generally been a flop -- and is now at his 4th school Rice (not too surprising he couldn't beat out Bennett).

Point being, at most (again, assuming Beck), Raiola would have to sit for a year before having an open competition. Less than both Fields and Daniels. I will be shocked if Kirby lets Raiola slip away as he did Fields (Daniels is a much different story).

We'll see. I can't say there's a 0% chance of Raiola ending up in Lincoln. I'd give it a 5% chance. Even if he were to transfer from UGA, there's plenty of other options than Nebraska -- and many closer to home. It's really kinda nuts to predict transfers for a kid who still has a year of high school left and at least a year at Georgia.
Quick search but, Brock Vandergriff the 5 star from the 2021 class is still at Georgia. He might move now?

I don’t see how Adrian Martinez’ experience at Nebraska factors into it at all. You probably heard, they fired that coach and his staff. The current coach is a former NFL head coach with a great track record of getting guys into the NFL, including multiple players who were NOT highly touted recruits.

I already said that the HS situation was different (I said moot) if there was a problem with that coaching staff that drove players away.

I see no reason Adrian Martinez’ situation has any bearing. You probably heard, that coach and his staff were fired. The current head coach is a former NFL head coach with a strong track record for getting guys into the NFL, including players who were not highly touted out of high school. I still think your straw man argument about forfeiting millions to play at NU is specious.

And I’ve said probably a half dozen times now, I have no problem with Raiola going to Georgia. I just find his multiple high school transfers strange. It doesn’t speak to a guy with strong long term relationships with coaches and teammates. He’s never really had a chance to do that. For me, that’s a negative.

Edit- I’ll leave it, but my original post looked like it had been deleted, then it showed up linked to me 2nd attempt.
Yes, the staff that was here for Adrian Martinez has been fired. But that doesn't change the situation. The problems still remain and, while Rhule was able to stamp out two dumpster fires at two other schools, it took 2-3 years to do. And frankly, there is no guarantee he will be able to do the same thing at Nebraska and in the B1G. I hope he can. But DR had a choice between a sure thing program and a program currently living off hope. The idea that both schools have an equal chance of sending a QB to the NFL is just not realistic. Hopefully, in a few years, that will change and we will have a good O-line that can protect a good QB and the type of receivers that allow a QB to quickly release the ball. At that point, we can begin to have hopes that 5 star talent QB's will see NU as a viable option.

Last edited:
Yes, the staff that was here for Adrian Martinez has been fired. But that doesn't change the situation. The problems still remain and, while Rhule was able to stamp out two dumpster fires at two other schools, it took 2-3 years to do. And frankly, there is no guarantee he will be able to do the same thing at Nebraska and in the B1G. I hope he can. But DR had a choice between a sure thing program and a program currently living off hope. The idea that both schools have an equal chance of sending a QB to the NFL is just not realistic. Hopefully, in a few years, that will change and we will have a good O-line that can protect a good QB and the type of receivers that allow a QB to quickly release the ball. At that point, we can begin to have hopes that 5 star talent QB's will see NU as a viable option.
MR is on record certain things won't be tolerated, guys won't play. To me then its corrected.

From where he was as a possible recruit prior to the new staff's involvement, it's amazing to me we were in the conversation at all. IMO, the up side to the national talk we were finally in again outweighs our collective disappointment that he signed elsewhere.

As tp the fan tweeting that we were 'used', whatever. If he'd have committed to Nebraska or given us a verbal and then he was actively peer recruiting for Georgia and we end up not getting Kaelin, then I'll talk.
Lots of winning, will change the perspective of, ‘ Nebraska can’t recruit said 4-5*’. Win a bunch and any of them can be had, especially if NU’s NIL is good.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back