• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Hitting verses tackling.

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
I get more frustrated with this with every game and every season. I saw so many missed tackles because our guys were either trying to tackles the shoulders or hit the receiver without using their arms to wrap up. The "almost" targeting call on Cam Taylor-Brit should have been called for not only leading with his head but ONLY leading with his head. His arms were down at his side with no apparent attempt to even try and tackle the ball carrier. I know I'm old school but I was always taught to bury my shoulder in their belly button and wrap them up. What they are doing isn't affective and any amateur football fan can see the results in missed tackles and/or some small running back carrying a pile of three guys for 5 yards because nobody is taking our the lower part of the body.

Well it gets frustrating because we are literally giving up first downs and preventing scoring drives with poor tackling. I'll bet we can go back to a significant amount of their drives and found a case where a solid tackle would have made the difference between punting and not punting.

Add poor technique with overrunning the play and that is the current recipe for the defenses disaster.

I saw quite a few “tackles” that looked more like hip checks in the Minnesota game. It looked like our guys were getting so lit up, they dumped fundamentals and started free styling.

Last edited:
I get more frustrated with this with every game and every season. I saw so many missed tackles because our guys were either trying to tackles the shoulders or hit the receiver without using their arms to wrap up. The "almost" targeting call on Cam Taylor-Brit should have been called for not only leading with his head but ONLY leading with his head. His arms were down at his side with no apparent attempt to even try and tackle the ball carrier. I know I'm old school but I was always taught to bury my shoulder in their belly button and wrap them up. What they are doing isn't affective and any amateur football fan can see the results in missed tackles and/or some small running back carrying a pile of three guys for 5 yards because nobody is taking our the lower part of the body.
Very frustrating to watch. I would think that tackling to the ground in practice would be worth the risk to result in better results and having depth game ready. It seems injuries are just as prevalent as the old days and it makes me wonder if they aren't practicing tackling then they don't know how to properly hit or take a hit, thus resulting in injuries anyways.

Very frustrating to watch. I would think that tackling to the ground in practice would be worth the risk to result in better results and having depth game ready. It seems injuries are just as prevalent as the old days and it makes me wonder if they aren't practicing tackling then they don't know how to properly hit or take a hit, thus resulting in injuries anyways.

Steel sharpens steel

Agree practices, apparently, need to be more physical.

It's so frustrating watching an opposing offensive player carry the ball and 2 or 3 of our defenders an extra 10-15 yards, while they try to strip the ball away instead of tackling below the waistline. What's the higher probability: that you get the ball stripped, or that the ball carrier goes down at the place you take his legs out?

This has been an issue for the last 3 coaching regimes and I just don't get it. When I played and coached, if we didn't wrap a guy up below the waist, we got yanked for someone who would. That part of the game is not rocket science. It just requires discipline to do what is right.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back