• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

High 3 star WR William Nixon Will Announce Monday 8 July; Huskers Appear To Be School To Beat

runs clean routes, catches in traffic, takes hits hangs on, runs to hole, uses his blocks, good vision. as he gets bigger, stronger just see a good football player that will make plays for us.

Well coached and no flash which I mean in the very best way.

Yup you wrote what I pretty much did a few pages back

Last edited:

Well coached and no flash which I mean in the very best way.

Yup you wrote what I pretty much did a few pages back
didnt mean to copy you. whatever they call that, may have put it my memory and today thought i had my first original thought. :)

Watts v Nixon: (sounds like a good supreme court case)

TL : DR Both look good and having them both sign would be better. Exact position projection and roster management might influence me if was making a head to head choice.

Nixon: Coaches kid. Waco Tx. 5'11 185 .8738 composite 4.52 40 time
Jr. Season stats: Haven't found yet, will edit in.

Watts: Omaha 6'1" 185 .8777 composite 4.49s 40 time
Jr. Season stats: 1093 yrds 15 tds. 58 tackles and 5 INT

Hudl: Nixon

Hudl: Watts

Disclaimer: I rarely watch highlights as I don't claim to be a talent evaluator.

I can't tell them apart as far as projection to the next level.

Watts: Pros - Better size. Closer to home. Blocked at least a couple of times. Played D, though didn't look to bring the wood in the few D highlights.
Cons: Highlights consisted of essentially all big plays. My guess, lesser competition and maybe a less talented QB for the comparison.

Nixon:
Pros: Assumed better competition. Played RB in some highlights, Received more contact, will go over middle, not afraid to get hit. Less big plays and showed better technically at WR position (more varied routes IMO)
Cons: Smaller. Did get caught from behind 1 or twice, which isn't a big deal, given longer run and again, my assumption of better competition.

Distance is often a factor and with the Nixon's dad being a coach and the kid is used to traveling then the idea of him deciding to go to Lincoln doesn't bother me at all and think will stick with commitment once made. From a roster management perspective, I like Watts do to his size as I don't think we have any trouble recruiting and already have a glut of slot type guys.

So, @N2FL and others.... I've started the Pros/cons list.

I'll revert to my post earlier in this thread.

Honestly, the worst part of losing out on Watts - if it happens - is the narrative that comes with it. Nebraska wants to close the borders (every coach does) and reach out and get the guys they most covet inside the 500-mile radius too. Losing a four-star in your backyard chips away at the narrative you want to create of "Don't bother going after (X), Nebraska gets the in-state kids they want."

There are only so many hours in a day and resources you can use to recruit kids. Nebraska going five for five last year and if they can indeed win for Watts to add with Betts, then get Teddy Prochazka and Avante Dickerson in '21, it starts to send a message to everyone. Sure kids on their level will get overtures and offers early in the process, but the question other coaches will have to ask themselves is, "Unless we get strong reciprocation early, is it really worth going head to head with Nebraska on a kid in their backyard that they are prioritizing?"

It might not scare off regional teams, but Nebraska's trajectory is that of a school that will once again be the class of the region. Local teams won't be a consistent threat. And national programs like Ohio State, Florida, LSU, etc. who are sniffing around now, will realize there are four-star alternatives for them to target inside their own region, often times in their own state.

Watts is a really good player, but he's not a Turner Corcoran caliber talent. Nebraska can still sign 3 or 4 receivers and not miss the impact of Watts being among them. They add guys like Omar Manning and Ajou Ajou, and it's the narrative I outlined you're missing in the end.

I like Nixon's film and think he'd be a good fit in Frost's offense, no doubt. Between he and Watts, though, I like Watts more (even though he's from Nebraska). It's not a huge gap by any means, but when you pair that with the scenario I talked about above, it's significant - but not a death sentence for this year's WR class at all. Like I mentioned above, if Nebraska ends up with Betts, Nixon and maybe guys like Ajou Ajou and Omar Manning, then talent-wise, it's all good. In other words, if they sign a receiver class that's comparable to last year's, it'll be "Watts who?" in that regard.

BUT, you can't undersell the hit you take losing out on an in-state kid like Watts. Perception-wise, it's bigger than losing on Noah Fant or Harrison Phillips (yes I know the players they became. I'm taking recruiting stature and national profile). This is on the Trevor Robinson level. But like many have said, in another year or two, Frost is going to have Nebraska among the top 10-15 in the country on an annual basis. Losing Watts will go down as a huge anomaly IMPO.

Last edited:

I like Nixon's film and think he'd be a good fit in Frost's offense, no doubt. Between he and Watts, though, I like Watts more (even though he's from Nebraska). It's not a huge gap by any means, but when you pair that with the scenario I talked about above, it's significant - but not a death sentence for this year's WR class at all. Like I mentioned above, if Nebraska ends up with Betts, Nixon and maybe guys like Ajou Ajou and Omar Manning, then talent-wise, it's all good. In other words, if they sign a receiver class that's comparable to last year's, it'll be "Watts who?" in that regard.

BUT, you can't undersell the hit you take losing out on an in-state kid like Watts. Perception-wise, it's bigger than losing on Noah Fant or Harrison Phillips (yes I know the players they became. I'm taking recruiting stature and national profile). This is on the Trevor Robinson level. But like many have said, in another year or two, Frost is going to have Nebraska among the top 10-15 in the country on an annual basis. Losing Watts will go down as a huge anomaly IMPO.

Do you project them to the same position?

Not really. Watts is more of a traditional WR. IMPO he wouldn't be a good fit in the Duck-R

Which makes it worse from a roster management perspective, as it seems the staff is having more success with the Duck-R position recruiting. At least from what I gather.

We likely will never hear about Watts ever again...unless he flips to DONU...then he's probably All American talent. ;)

for some reason this young man reminds me of Burkhead. just pure football player. cant really deduce much from highlights, need a composite of each players lowlites also.
Saw the same thing....not the fastest guy on the field but looks like a football player with instinct. Good addition to the 2020 class.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back