• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Here's why Baker dropped that plan this week

While it will really suck for college athletics, from a practical standpoint, it's unbelievably unfair to the student. Any other student can transfer however many times they please and without any reason. The fact that it lasted this long is a miracle.
The NCAA is dead, it just doesn't know it yet. CFB won't be under their umbrella for much longer. Once there's an official P2 only, they'll likely have some rules in place to protect from constant transfers. Since it won't be a rule that covers most colleges, it should pass muster legally. I could even see it agreed to by students in exchange for monthly income.

Just one more reason to turn top-tier college football over to the NFL - they know how to handle the labor law side of the house very well. There’s simply no reason to reinvent the wheel and force universities or the NCAA to handle this mess…

The NCAA is dead, it just doesn't know it yet. CFB won't be under their umbrella for much longer. Once there's an official P2 only, they'll likely have some rules in place to protect from constant transfers. Since it won't be a rule that covers most colleges, it should pass muster legally. I could even see it agreed to by students in exchange for monthly income.

Yeah, this might be the death knell for the NCAA. They actually realized they were probably done with football (the CFP and bowls are not run by the NCAA) so they were being more hands off with things like NIL and the transfer portal. They were circling the wagons to protect March Madness, because that's their big money maker anyway. I just don't how they can remain the organization that runs every college sport except football.

I think they know, and this was just a last-ditch effort to buy some time.

I think eventually this will have to move into pay for players with contracts that tie a player to a team, like pro football.

I don't necessarily like it, but agree with goodnterribles, it's been really unfair to the athlete. Of course it's going to look different, no way around that. However, my main concern is, is Nebraska positioned well in the new world? I think they are.

We all know who the real winners will be right?? THE LAWYERS as always will end up richer than any player and by the time its all done and finished the players will still say they are getting hosed just as the Pro players complain that Mgmt holds all the cards

This is why you don’t open Pandora’s box. They have a valid point.
Marketing their labor?

It seems like they want to be treated as employees, but at the same time want special treatment get a tax break.

Next we will have people suing over the 4 year elgilibility rule.

Just one more reason to turn top-tier college football over to the NFL - they know how to handle the labor law side of the house very well. There’s simply no reason to reinvent the wheel and force universities or the NCAA to handle this mess…
Honestly not a bad idea or hire away the #2 or 3 person away for the NFL to run college football. I could see a contract structure put in place that would scale the pay for players and cap per team salaries, have minimum amount of years that a kid must stay at a school and speed up the waiver process

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks