• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Helton Out At USC

This USC team is full of Show Ponies, they look like Tarzan but play like Jane. They have the same problem Texas has concerning recruiting. It will take a couple of years to get football players back in the recruiting loop. However, the right guy will change the order of the Pac 12 within a couple of years.

Timing of this is really suspect. It screams to me that Helton could have taken them on another 4-6 game run and so he was fired at the first opportunity. Helton is a good coach and well respected in coaching circles. He will get picked up very soon, maybe by Saban's home for fired coaches.

I admit to be shocked by Helton being the first one fired. I thought it would be Mike Norvell at FSU after their first loss to a FCS program in school history. I don't think Norvell makes it through the season either.

Norvell won't be far behind at the rate he's going. Wonder how the Domers are feeling about that FSU win now? Especially after the Toledo game.....

This USC team is full of Show Ponies, they look like Tarzan but play like Jane. They have the same problem Texas has concerning recruiting. It will take a couple of years to get football players back in the recruiting loop. However, the right guy will change the order of the Pac 12 within a couple of years.

Timing of this is really suspect. It screams to me that Helton could have taken them on another 4-6 game run and so he was fired at the first opportunity. Helton is a good coach and well respected in coaching circles. He will get picked up very soon, maybe by Saban's home for fired coaches.
I agree with your first paragraph but Helton is NOT a good coach. He should’ve taken the 2016 team to the playoffs but wasn’t starting the right QB until game 5 of the season. USC has wanted to fire him for a few years now but they were stuck with a bad buyout and the timing was terrible with some scandals happening at the school.

Clay is respected as a nice guy in the business but I don’t think anyone believes he’s a good coach. He lucked into the job with no résumé whatsoever because Sark was showing up drunk to practices.

Not surprised at the firing but the timing is not a good look in my opinion

Former Husker Coach Donte Williams interm HC
Not a bad look at all. The situation had become completely toxic. It would’ve been bad to keep Helton at this point. Multiple local sportswriters and former players called for his firing yesterday, fans were booing him at the game, fans would not show up the rest of the season. All USC fans are relieved now and are finally excited about the football team again, for the first time in years.

Last edited:

Not a bad look at all. The situation had become completely toxic. It would’ve been bad to keep Helton at this point. Multiple local sportswriters called for his firing yesterday, fans were booing him at the game, fans would not show up the rest of the season. All USC fans are relieved now and are finally excited about the football team again, for the first time in years.
USC fans are real good at booing their own coaches and players.

I agree with your first paragraph but Helton is NOT a good coach. He should’ve taken the 2016 team to the playoffs but wasn’t starting the right QB until game 5 of the season. USC has wanted to fire him for a few years now but they were stuck with a bad buyout and the timing was terrible with some scandals happening at the school.

Clay is respected as a nice guy in the business but I don’t think anyone believes he’s a good coach. He lucked into the job with no résumé whatsoever because Sark was showing up drunk to practices.
So USC's version of our Mike Reilly?

I respect your take on Helton. I have always felt that coaches (Helton) who are hamstrung by an existing recruiting structure in place like USC or UT don't really get to show what they can do with their own guys. Time will tell. I had heard there was a Michigan state-like issue within the athletic department at USC with hidden cameras and other creepy stuff. Not sure if thats true but that would be cause for concern.

I respect your take on Helton. I have always felt that coaches (Helton) who are hamstrung by an existing recruiting structure in place like USC or UT don't really get to show what they can do with their own guys. Time will tell. I had heard there was a Michigan state-like issue within the athletic department at USC with hidden cameras and other creepy stuff. Not sure if thats true but that would be cause for concern.
Whoa! I hadn’t heard that! There was a scandal with the on campus gynecologist, I know that. I don’t think anything about hidden cameras ever went public. The athletic department has been very cautious about everything the last couple of years.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back