• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Help out student veterans at UNL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRedMax

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
Received this request by email today. We can win online contests in our sleep. Let's win this one for the vets!

Good Afternoon!

My name is Taylor Weichman, I work for Outdoor Adventures at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln. I am writing to see if the good people at HuskerMax can help us out. We have put together a proposal for a grant for $10,000 from Polartec.

If we win, the grant will be used to provide scholarships to student military veterans to go on Outdoor Adventure trips, working to connect student vets with each other and with UNL.

I know that HuskerMax is the largest Huskers source on the web, and I also know that Husker fans are the best in the nation. The winner is decided by popular vote on facebook, and we could really use the help of the greatest fans in the country. This grant would be a huge boost to our student veterans on campus, and a ways for us to give back to those who have done so much for our country.

What follows is the press release, if you would like more information. Thanks for your time!

TW

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The University of Nebraska–Lincoln's Outdoor Adventures program has been named one of four finalists in Polartec's Made Possible Contest, which annually awards a $10,000 grant to one collegiate outdoor program in the United States. Additionally, the winning program will have the opportunity to test outdoor gear for Backpacker magazine.

A public online vote via Facebook will determine the winner from the four finalists. Anyone – students, faculty, friends, family, alumni, fans – can submit one vote every 24-hour period until Dec. 14. The winner will be announced Dec. 15. Along with UNL, the finalists are SUNY New Paltz, Colgate University, and the University of Wyoming. To vote for UNL, click: http://go.unl.edu/vote_unl

UNL plans to use the $10,000 to develop outdoor adventure programs for the growing number of student Military Veterans on campus to better connect them with the University and campus life.

"Student veterans have a demonstrated need to be more integrated into the campus culture. Veterans have much to offer in the ways of leadership and experience, and equally, UNL Outdoor Adventures has much to offer to bring these students together for shared experience and to build connections amongst them and campus," says Jordan Messerer, assistant director for outdoor adventures.

UNL Outdoor Adventures is a program of Campus Recreation. Offerings include single- and multi-day adventure trips, challenge course, climbing wall programs, and the campus bike shop. Their expert team teaches and prepares students and the public with leadership skills for experiencing the rivers, mountains, lakes, and plains by foot, bike, ski, or boat, regardless of the season.

For more details about the contest or UNL Outdoor Adventures, contact Taylor Weichman 402-472-4777 or [email protected]

ABOUT POLARTEC: At Polartec, we understand that experiences in the backcountry, on the trail, atop a summit or on a river have the power to transform. The Made Possible Challenge is an exciting opportunity for us to support college outdoor programs and in turn, encourage students to get outside, gain valuable leadership skills and pass along the ethics of environmental stewardship. The winning outdoor program will receive $10,000.

I got pulled into this by a buddy in the physics dept. over the weekend. Already in! :Biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back